Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Cowardly Tempests  (Read 1780 times)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Cowardly Tempests
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:32:42 PM »

I think this might have been reported before...
My Tempests tend to stay just out of range of all their weapons, for entire battles. They just circle the enemy quietly.
Other ships are a bit too scared to approach the enemy as well, but Tempests never even get to fire.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cowardly Tempests
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »

I'm not seeing this at all - what do you have them armed with?

I think you might be seeing them try to flank an enemy - this can lead to a non-engaging behavior in smaller battles. In larger battles, though, they tend to perform fine in with all the loadouts I've seen.

Another possibility is if the combat area is very crowded - ships on the outside of it will stay out, to avoid crowding their allies. That's not new, though.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:25:52 AM »

Small battle, I guess. The normal loadout. 6 Tempests against a Pirate carrier group.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

I haven't seen that before and I regularly run a full fleet of Tempests with a Hyperion as my flagship. I'll admit I'm using VERY custom Tempests (only a single Heavy Blaster with lots of Hull mods). I only really see problems with them when too many of the are attacking the same target (more than about 4 start to clutter the firing routine) or during the previously mentioned venting bug ("unintended chivalry").