Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Personnel loss on full hull damage  (Read 6852 times)

Jmdelrio

• Lieutenant
  • Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Personnel loss on full hull damage
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »

I love the accident system, and  when I think back on a few space movies, damage to a location of a ship with 0 armor should give a chance that you lose some personnel.

Even better, graphically space a few of them :)

Keep up the great work!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Personnel loss on full hull damage
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »

Thats already the case..
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »

I say yes to graphical accidents! :)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »

Maybe even fuel ignition on fuel tankers, like drams.

*pictures the scene of a dram fleeing from a battle, trailing flames.*

And the sound of tiny screaming.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:05:33 AM by Hyph_K31 »

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »

That happens in SPAZ when your hull gets smashed up enough. You just helplessly watch your ship lose a 1/3 of it's crew to the vacuum. It's nice to see though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes around running over frozen crew members. >.>

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »

That happens in SPAZ when your hull gets smashed up enough. You just helplessly watch your ship lose a 1/3 of it's crew to the vacuum. It's nice to see though, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that goes around running over frozen crew members. >.>

Vacuum should be the most killing cause in a spaceship battle. I mean, you're dodging HE shells that will cause Hull breaches which causes vacuum to flood the areas where your crew are, causing them either to implode, suffocate, or get sucked out and frozen to death. Horrible fates :)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »

Vacuum should be the most killing cause in a spaceship battle. I mean, you're dodging HE shells that will cause Hull breaches which causes vacuum to flood the areas where your crew are, causing them either to implode, suffocate, or get sucked out and frozen to death. Horrible fates :)

Pretty sure they wear pressurized suits and stuff
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »

High explosive shells?
Nah mang!

DESTROY THEM WITH LAZERS!

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »

Not to be nitpicky, but loss of hull integrity in a vacuum would cause an explosion, not an implosion. Implosion only happens when the outside pressure is greater than the pressure inside the container. In other words, an implosion can only occur in an atmosphere.

And to be nitpicky, vacuum doesn't 'flood an area.' To say something 'floods an area' implies something is flowing into it, but when a hull breach creates a vacuum, the opposite is happening; all the air is flowing out of the ship. But since this part is nitpicky, feel free to ignore me.

Also, since I'm not terribly familiar with the lore, is it conceivable that ships would be outfitted with things like emergency forcefields that seal small-ish hull breaches (like in star trek)? It might help to explain why there are fewer deaths due to hull breaches than you might otherwise expect.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »

Not to be nitpicky, but loss of hull integrity in a vacuum would cause an explosion, not an implosion. Implosion only happens when the outside pressure is greater than the pressure inside the container. In other words, an implosion can only occur in an atmosphere.

And to be nitpicky, vacuum doesn't 'flood an area.' To say something 'floods an area' implies something is flowing into it, but when a hull breach creates a vacuum, the opposite is happening; all the air is flowing out of the ship. But since this part is nitpicky, feel free to ignore me.

Also, since I'm not terribly familiar with the lore, is it conceivable that ships would be outfitted with things like emergency forcefields that seal small-ish hull breaches (like in star trek)? It might help to explain why there are fewer deaths due to hull breaches than you might otherwise expect.

I don't think so, but I do think that a lot of ships seal up before a battle like a ww2 submarine or even a modern day carrier, I might be wrong though

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 12:27:38 AM »

I think a large HE shell impacting a crewed area will kill significantly more than the vacuum does, these shells are the size of bombs that level entire city blocks on Earth. Shockwaves get focused by the small rooms inside a ship and cause enough overpressure to instantly kill anyone in those rooms.

Also freezing to death in space is pretty unlikely. Vaccum is great for heat insulation, just like a thermos flask. Most cooling happens through diffusion, not radiation in an atmosphere and you lose the diffusion in space. If you're exposed to e.g. direct sunlight you'll build up more heat than you radiate. That's why heat will likely be a problem for real space combat.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:29 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks the accident system needs heavy tweaking?  The concept is great, but when I go to 151% cargo capacity by picking up one unit of supply, I go from No risk to High risk.

Shouldn't it scale up starting from Low, proportional to how long you've gone?

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »

Yea the fact that you can go 50% over with no risk is to easy to exploit.
Hound=Troll machine