Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Atlas and Prometheus (mk.I)are gods.  (Read 2931 times)

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Atlas and Prometheus (mk.I)are gods.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2023, 06:31:13 AM »

I use ADF+cargo/fuel boosting on Atlas/Prometheus.

What is the advantage of insulated drives? Smuggling?

I thought most people use phase transports for smuggling duties.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2023, 07:16:09 AM »

S-modding Insulated Engines on a Prometheues lowers sensor profile from "basically a space station" down to Phaeton levels, a logi ship two hull sizes smaller. Goes the same for Atlas, and it makes a huge difference, you have much finer control over how many Ordos you will pull, for example, and less of a penalty in every other application that requires low sensor profile.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2023, 07:21:04 AM »

In short, the difference in sensor profile lets you choose your fights more easily and reliably.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2023, 11:57:47 AM »

S-modding Insulated Engines on a Prometheues lowers sensor profile from "basically a space station" down to Phaeton levels, a logi ship two hull sizes smaller.
S-modding Insulated Engines on an Atlas/Prometheus reduces its sensor profile to 30 (150 base for capital-size, doubled for civilian-grade hull and reduced by 90% for s-modded Insulated Engines) - the same as a frigate that doesn't have anything modifying its sensor profile.

In order for an Atlas/Prometheus fitted with Insulated Engines to have a "Phaeton-level" sensor profile, you either need to be comparing against a Phaeton with both Militarized Subsystems and non-s-modded Insulated Engines - the Phaeton has a "natural" sensor profile of 120 (60 base for destroyer-size, doubled for civilian grade hull), which can be halved to 60 by either Militarized Subsystems or Insulated Engines and halved again to 30 by whichever of the two you're not using for the previous step - or you need to be comparing a stock Phaeton (120 sensor profile) to an Atlas/Prometheus with regular Insulated Engines (150 sensor profile - 150 base for capital-size, doubled for civilian-grade hull and halved for non-s-modded Insulated Engines).

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 08:48:38 AM »

Well there is the phase haulers phantom and revenant if you like to be extra sneaky i guess. Not sure how they compete on the current times.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 11:28:09 PM »

Hi, my name is Supra and I'm a logistics enjoyer.

I run four Revenants, a Phantom, and three Atlases. Atlases get ADF, ins. engines, and expanded cargo S-modded. Solar shielding is the mandatory fourth, and then flex for fifth - usually high-res sensors, sometimes efficiency overhaul (I like some logistics in my logistics, OK?). Haven't even bothered s-modding the phase guys yet.

My current combat fleet has two cap ships, six cruisers, sundry smaller craft, a cargo cap of 14k, sensor range of 1526, and a silent-running sensor profile of 156. Max burn is 9 base, 18 sustained (the caps are Odysseys, love that 8 burn).

I never fight anything I don't mean to beat, and I never pay a tariff unless I feel like it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 11:31:16 PM by Supraluminal »

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 06:20:53 PM »

I run four Revenants, a Phantom, and three Atlases. Atlases get ADF, ins. engines, and expanded cargo S-modded. Solar shielding is the mandatory fourth, and then flex for fifth - usually high-res sensors, sometimes efficiency overhaul (I like some logistics in my logistics, OK?). Haven't even bothered s-modding the phase guys yet.

My current combat fleet has two cap ships, six cruisers, sundry smaller craft, a cargo cap of 14k, sensor range of 1526, and a silent-running sensor profile of 156. Max burn is 9 base, 18 sustained (the caps are Odysseys, love that 8 burn).

I never fight anything I don't mean to beat, and I never pay a tariff unless I feel like it.
You should get a starliner. To flex on inferior fleets that can't afford luxury.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2023, 06:29:18 PM »

Starliner is unironically the best meatbagsmarines transport ship in the entire game.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2023, 10:16:03 AM »

Starliner is unironically the best meatbagsmarines transport ship in the entire game.
Mandatory for LG runs i guess

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2023, 08:29:39 PM »

You should get a starliner. To flex on inferior fleets that can't afford luxury.

I do have one in the garage but I don't usually need it. Maybe I should be thinking beyond the simply utilitarian, though... maybe I need to be designing my fleets not just to be efficient and effective, but also to stunt on fools.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2023, 06:24:52 AM »

I do have one in the garage but I don't usually need it. Maybe I should be thinking beyond the simply utilitarian, though... maybe I need to be designing my fleets not just to be efficient and effective, but also to stunt on fools.
Get one or two volturnian lobsters for the starliner aquarium

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2023, 10:08:12 AM »

Me, over here enjoying my S modded solar shielding and insulated engines as I merrily bounce from storm to storm taking no damage and evading entire pirate armadas on my way to plunder habitats and research stations with abandon...

Cryovolcanic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2023, 08:25:59 AM »

Is S-modding solar shielding ultimately more efficient that the efficiency overhaul? In terms of saving total fuel and supplies.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2023, 03:10:19 PM »

Is S-modding solar shielding ultimately more efficient that the efficiency overhaul? In terms of saving total fuel and supplies.
For me it depends on what ratio of logistics to combat ships I have. Since the s-mod bonus doesn't mean anything if the storms keep hitting my cruisers that only have the base solar shielding.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Phenir

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2023, 08:20:25 PM »

That depends on how well you plan your outer sector excursions. If you go along with the streams, solar shielding is kind of useless since streams give you 1/4th to 1/8th fuel cost and are faster than storms which they overwrite. Similarly if you go through gaps in the deep space clouds instead of through the clouds themselves, you don't get much use out of solar shielding.
Pages: 1 [2] 3