Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Colony Crises  (Read 14758 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Colony Crises
« on: November 24, 2023, 01:54:40 PM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 02:02:06 PM by Alex »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Crises
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 02:17:01 PM »

"Next release is going to be 0.95.1a..."

Man we'll never get that 0.96 update with all the fancy capitals aaahhhh. But I'm super glad everything went into the new system. Expeditions really were an annoying occurence.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 02:18:19 PM »

"Next release is going to be 0.95.1a..."

Oooof, haha. Fixed :)

Freakycrafter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 02:23:04 PM »

Oh man, i can't wait for the crises (and what the modders are gonna do with those) ;D

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 02:26:57 PM »

I love it. I cant wait to get my hands on this version and start a few playthroughs again.
Just one small concern might be that hopefully there is some mitigation on the randomness when a Crisis is averted so like I wont get 3-4 crisis in a row. That might be pushing it.

Sleet

• Ensign
  • See the sector, serve with honour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 02:55:49 PM »

BRB, giving Kanta the Kazeron/Chicomoztoc nanoforge as tribute to both increase colony accessibility AND have a neater challenge when the pirates show up! :P

Spoiler
I- I don't remember much from when we burned out of Volturn's orbit. We'd had enough of the knocks on the door, relatives disappearing in the night... we scrambled together that Phaeton with the busted hull and that damn Mudskipper that couldn't stop flaming out- but I don't remember much, just a lot of shaking and a lot of swearing. Learned afterward we almost got slammed by some amat blast from a Ludd-damn Gigacannon. Didn't feel safe 'til we were at least 9 LY out from Samarra, and then finally made it here. Nobody would chase us this far out- nobody, right?

Been feeling safer and safer for cycles. Changed when I heard cheers in the bar. Apparently some son-of-a-gun came back here with Andrada's own Synchrotron Core- slid into Sindria with a couple'a cruisers and transports, slammed down C&C, then tore straight into the amat plants. Set it up on that damn rock the next orbit over. I coulda sworn I felt like I tasted vacuum right then and there. If Macario's goons got itchy fingers 'bout a few dozen low-life Luddies defecting from a run-down ocean-hab, damn straight they wouldn't let the Diktat's meal ticket go without a fight. I told them all there'd be a storm coming, and not one of them listened. Well, now there's Executors on burn straight for the station- and now I guess we got to weather that storm.
Noah Liveburn, Sindrian political refugee to the outer rim, apx. c+211
[close]
Baikal Daud's estranged wife -- a sentient derelict XIV Battlegroup hull
FACT: Kane Gleise did nothing wrong at Skathi.

"When the defiler unbinds the warp and weft of the Creator, what will they find behind that starry tapestry? A thousand thousand eyes darkened by trespass." - The Book of Ludds, Visions 7:4

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 03:06:56 PM »

Looks at the pic with Luddic Church wanting to take over a player colony.  Makes note to sat bomb (or repeatedly stealth raid if I really need plausible deniability) the faction off the map... after I do their stupid quests to burn away their plot armor.

Kaokasalis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 03:23:43 PM »

I think that if the player managed to trigger all the crises in a run and eventually defeats all of them it should warrant a narrative reward or something. It would be cool to see the game acknowledge the player's own faction in some way, especially if it was at the expense of all the other factions. Like a new power have emerged in the Persean Sector along with having broken the current deadlock in the Sector and is now in its way to silently achieving domination.

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 03:27:18 PM »

Looks really cool. In particular, I like that the League finally gets some love. War with the Hegemony seems to be a big trend in players' games, going by the memes, so I like that that has an official treatment, now, with escalations. It did kind of feel weird that the presiding superpower would just let people keep blowing up their task forces sent after what they think is an apocalyptic threat.

I also like that remnant bases do something now. Well, other than spawning two dozen fleets of three capitals each after I farm them enough.

The main thing I'm a little worried about are the enemy spawning. When they materialize into existence at jump points, just being present into the system tends to guarantee a few shortages by the time you leave - having them take off from planets at semi-regular intervals might feel smoother.

Legendsmith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 03:29:10 PM »

Oh good. These are very welcome changes.
There's a few unmentioned factors here that make the current Colony Threat feel extra bad:
  • The player has no warning about it. New players or players who are not used to colony management are taken by surprise.
  • Death Spiral: Since the progress is based on the colony's status, a worse colony invites worse threat. (Why would they raid someone that poor anyway?)
  • The player feels helpless in the death spiral, killing fleets barely makes a dent in the progress, even if you basically clear our your system and blow up pirate bases.
I know plenty of players who simply edited it out of the game.

braciszek

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 03:56:50 PM »

Hegemony
The AI inspections are now a series of escalating crises, instead of being separate from this system.
Defeating the inspections is narratively framed as defeating the Hegemony, and there’s a new way to avoid the inspections.

Nice, making it a bigger deal to beat or avoid inspections is nice, because, as I recall, the last time someone resisted the Hegemony's AI inspections, there was a massive war that resulted in massive casualties for everyone involved. It should mean something when the Hegemony is failing to enforce one of their most important restrictions in the sector.

I am very excited to see the outcomes of each crisis; the narrative of influencing the balance of power in the sector through these crises is very interesting to me, since it practically proves to the major factions that your faction will not go down easily and it is here to stay.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 04:08:54 PM by braciszek »

NaitNait

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 04:06:08 PM »

Getting rewarded for seemingly negative events without annoying penalties seem way nicer than it is currently. Having your colonies taking economic hits is really annoying but does make you want to blast enemies out of space.

Glad to see things like immigration being added and factions playing with the system in their own unique ways.

Outside of negative events of your colony being target more, I believe the system should be expanded to to have purely beneficial ones too. Such as the readiness, ability and strength of a faction's fleets, systems that are doing economically well are more secure and have more/stronger fleets compared to those being resource starved and destroyed (wanted something like this on a per system basis, but that would probably be to much unless simplified). Being on good or bad relations with (many) factions can have an event of its own and incrementally influence other events. Having ways to improve your faction's or planet's ability to fight against intangible threats and maybe even weaken others (i.e. Pathers).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 04:13:44 PM »

I love it. I cant wait to get my hands on this version and start a few playthroughs again.
Just one small concern might be that hopefully there is some mitigation on the randomness when a Crisis is averted so like I wont get 3-4 crisis in a row. That might be pushing it.

Hmm - that's definitely a valid concern and something I'll look out for in playtesting. Part of the reason for the randomness IS so the crises can kind of crowd each other a bit, though - so getting a bunch in a row sometimes is an intended outcome of the system. Just have to see how it actually feels.

BRB, giving Kanta the Kazeron/Chicomoztoc nanoforge as tribute to both increase colony accessibility AND have a neater challenge when the pirates show up! :P

That's going to be tricky since if you give her tha nanoforge the pirates won't show up :)

I think that if the player managed to trigger all the crises in a run and eventually defeats all of them it should warrant a narrative reward or something. It would be cool to see the game acknowledge the player's own faction in some way, especially if it was at the expense of all the other factions. Like a new power have emerged in the Persean Sector along with having broken the current deadlock in the Sector and is now in its way to silently achieving domination.

I hear what you're saying, yeah! Something like this happens when you deal with the Hegemony-related crises - so, a different slant on the same thing.

Looks really cool. In particular, I like that the League finally gets some love. War with the Hegemony seems to be a big trend in players' games, going by the memes, so I like that that has an official treatment, now, with escalations. It did kind of feel weird that the presiding superpower would just let people keep blowing up their task forces sent after what they think is an apocalyptic threat.

I also like that remnant bases do something now. Well, other than spawning two dozen fleets of three capitals each after I farm them enough.

The main thing I'm a little worried about are the enemy spawning. When they materialize into existence at jump points, just being present into the system tends to guarantee a few shortages by the time you leave - having them take off from planets at semi-regular intervals might feel smoother.

Cool, glad you're liking it overall!

Generally speaking expedition fleets etc don't materialize at jump-points - they should spawn into being when the player is within a few light-years. The "hostile activity" type fleets DO do that, so yeah, shortages will happen sometimes. But IIRC the game also tries to simulate this when you're not around, so depending on in-system defenses, shortages from lost convoys might happen if you're not there, too.

Nice, making it a bigger deal to beat or avoid inspections is nice, because, as I recall, the last time someone resisted the Hegemony's AI inspections, there was a massive war that resulted in massive casualties for everyone involved. It should mean something when the Hegemony is failing to enforce one of their most important restrictions in the sector.

Yep, exactly!

I am very excited to see the outcomes of each crisis; the narrative of influencing the balance of power in the sector through these crises is very interesting to me, since it practically proves to the major factions that your faction will not go down easily and it is here to stay.

I don't want to oversell this - it's definitely there in some ways (and I think more importantly, it'll *feel* like it just due to the game acknowledging certain things), but you're also not going to be reshaping the Sector through this. And of course it's something that *could* be built on more.

Getting rewarded for seemingly negative events without annoying penalties seem way nicer than it is currently. Having your colonies taking economic hits is really annoying but does make you want to blast enemies out of space.

Glad to see things like immigration being added and factions playing with the system in their own unique ways.

*thums up*

Outside of negative events of your colony being target more, I believe the system should be expanded to to have purely beneficial ones too. Such as the readiness, ability and strength of a faction's fleets, systems that are doing economically well are more secure and have more/stronger fleets compared to those being resource starved and destroyed (wanted something like this on a per system basis, but that would probably be to much unless simplified). Being on good or bad relations with (many) factions can have an event of its own and incrementally influence other events. Having ways to improve your faction's or planet's ability to fight against intangible threats and maybe even weaken others (i.e. Pathers).

Hmm - that feels like it would be a totally different system; doesn't sound like a "crisis" at all. But I understand what you mean, there's lot of things you could put a progress bar on and have interact with other things. I don't want to overdo it, though, I think part of making it work well is being careful about what to give this treatment to, and I'm still finding my way with that, design-wise :)

Sleet

• Ensign
  • See the sector, serve with honour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 04:22:12 PM »

That's going to be tricky since if you give her tha nanoforge the pirates won't show up :)

Oh, that's a shame -- I read the blog post as "making a deal with kanta gives permanent accessibility boost", and doesn't stop a pirate raid from necessarily coming? Though I did skim it, which is probably why.
Baikal Daud's estranged wife -- a sentient derelict XIV Battlegroup hull
FACT: Kane Gleise did nothing wrong at Skathi.

"When the defiler unbinds the warp and weft of the Creator, what will they find behind that starry tapestry? A thousand thousand eyes darkened by trespass." - The Book of Ludds, Visions 7:4

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 04:29:56 PM »

This is a really nice way to turn the system on its head so more people are encouraged to interact with it, very well done.
One thing isn't entirely clear to me though, do all crises happen once and never repeat again? After you have seen them all your colonies just don't get hostiles anymore? If yes, is [REDACTED] crisis repeatable as long as the [REDACTED] station stays functional?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12