Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Narc Beacon?  (Read 7166 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Narc Beacon?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »

I was just playing MechWarrior 4, and I forgot all about the Narc Beacon. I thought it would be cool to have something like that in Starfarer.

Maybe something you could put in a small missile slot, and fire off at a baddie. It wouldn't do any damage, but it would improve the missile tracking for any missile attempting to hit the target that you marked. Of course, programming the AI to take advantage might be difficult.

Make it a one use only weapon, and maybe tweak the idea a bit more for some balance. I don't know. I just always liked using the tracer darts in Battlefield Bad Company 2. Sticking them to an enemy sniper, smiling as they lit up like a Christmas tree, and laughing my ass off when someone rainbows a guided missile from across the map on top of their head.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Narc Beacon?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »

Hehehe, the Narc was a very important part of combat in MechWarrior: Living Legends, especially in organized, competitive matches.  That said, we don't have the missile boats that exist in MechWarrior, so a Narc beacon would not be very useful, especially if it's just one-time use.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 02:24:44 AM »

Acyually, we do have a missile boat, if a poor one: the Buffalo mk2.

This COULD possibly give the Buffalo some actual value (rather than just an easy to kill target and resale hull.) But yeah, given the missile weapon selection in the game and the spread of Missile mounts across vessels, there's not much of an ideal missile boat in the game (yet) to take full advantage of this. If we had more variety on the large missile launchers (other than the MIRV and Reapers), then the Astral, Conquest, Apogee, and Aurora could make for decent support fire vessels with a NARC-type support weapon. Otherwise, the best "missile boats" in the game are things like the Onslaught (4x Md Mssl), Dominator, and Oddessy (3x Md Mssl each). The Oddessy I can see in a support-fire role, but doing so for the Onslaught and/or Dominator would be a waste in those cases.

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:13:45 AM »

I dont know about this, it keems kinda not like starfarer maybe you could get boots to missle tracking from chracter skill but it dosnt seem to fit having an in battle tracer, instead i would put it as either a chracter skill, a buff from control points, or a hull mod. The mod could have buffs for missle tracking, LoS and a small amount of weapon range.
Hound=Troll machine

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 04:34:16 AM »

I would like a Narc drink.

Eye Have You
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:47:13 AM »

This doesn't make sense, the missiles are already perfectly accurate. It's just that their turn rate is often not high enough to hit, but that would not change with a beacon.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:03 AM »

It would still be a nice way to allow the player to somehow direct/concentrate long range fire support on a single target instead of letting the fleet fire at whatever happens to be closest to them at the moment. The current AI for the player fleet ships is horrible when it comes to targetting and attack priority. Hopefully it'll improve to the point where the ships are smart about who and when they target for attack smartly/intelligently so we don't need a NARC-type system for the player to use.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »

This doesn't make sense, the missiles are already perfectly accurate. It's just that their turn rate is often not high enough to hit, but that would not change with a beacon.
Yes and no. You could say that a beacon would give the missile something more accurate to track, giving the missile the ability to lead the target more effectively.

I really didn't give this idea a lot of thought, but I figured screw it, why not suggest it anyway.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:52:11 PM »

I think that a really cool feature that could work with what you are saying is a planetary based weapon. So you tag or use a narc beacon or whatever and the planetary weapon strikes the opponent's ship. Once. anymore and I think we would see spamming. or you could use it to create a choke point or something.

Nooblies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:44:34 PM »

Why not just have a projectile that when it hits a certain ship redirects all long range missiles to the target.

So for example, if you want to pressure an onslaught, you could hit it with a narc missile and all of the stray pilums that your ships are firing around the map are instead focussed onto the onslaught, which would be much more dangerous and effective.

Maybe it could also give limited tracking to Annihilators?

Maybe it could also make MIRV's and sabots split to second stage faster so that they don't get shot down by capital PD before they split?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:50:47 PM by Nooblies »

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »

That sounds cool. except a lot of missiles have limited ranges so it would make it a little hard to use with say harpoons and such.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:28:10 AM »

Perhaps give missiles a speed and tracking boost, provided you are actively locked onto a ship that's been tagged with one of these narc beacons? Might increase the overall efficiency of a dedicated missile boat if it meant that not all of it's attacks are simply gunned down, mid-flight.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »

Maybe make a new command so ships like the buffalo etc. could be used to actively target an enemy ship?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »

Maybe make a new command so ships like the buffalo etc. could be used to actively target an enemy ship?

Yes!

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 01:20:10 AM »

I've always wondered why there isn't a "Volley" attack command, like Harass and Strike, only with long/medium range missiles.

Pages: [1] 2