Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Stations, Probes, Etc  (Read 1031 times)

Excretusmaximus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Stations, Probes, Etc
« on: November 06, 2023, 03:01:58 PM »

Why do we need to double salvage?  Why not just include everything in the salvage dialog, instead of salvage via dialog, then scan and salvage again once it breaks apart?

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
Re: Stations, Probes, Etc
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 05:35:29 PM »

No idea, but its not just derelicts either, particularly big battles generate debris fields you can scavenge multiple times. I agree that its preferred for all sacevenge interactions to be just one action.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 09:14:39 PM »

It's fast enough you can go dark and salvage under the nose of a pursuing fleet, too. Thus there's no advantage to holding the field after a fight.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 08:35:13 AM »

whilst kinda redundant, there are some gameplay aspects to it...

Salvage fields create stealth areas that allow you to hide, kinda useful if u are in a remnant system, but not really... And debris fields scale differently in terms of salvage...

But yeah, kinda redundant.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 09:47:52 AM »

Salvage fields create stealth areas that allow you to hide, kinda useful if u are in a remnant system, but not really... And debris fields scale differently in terms of salvage...

Since when debris fields allow you to hide? Either way, dynamically generated debris fields don't disappear immedeatiely after salvage, and pre-generated ones don't disappear period, the proposed change is to make all salvages one action, instead of going through the same process 2 to 3 times. Ideally you should get the same salvage you are getting now, but with fewer repetetive inputs on your part, which is a good thing.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:30:26 AM »

Since when debris fields allow you to hide? Either way, dynamically generated debris fields don't disappear immedeatiely after salvage, and pre-generated ones don't disappear period, the proposed change is to make all salvages one action, instead of going through the same process 2 to 3 times. Ideally you should get the same salvage you are getting now, but with fewer repetetive inputs on your part, which is a good thing.

debris field reduce your sensor profile similarly to every other environmental element. This is especially useful if you are fighting multiple fleets at a time, and want to recover some combat readiness for your vessels after you successfully dispose of one.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 01:13:40 PM »

It'd be nice if all the important items such as weapons, blueprints, hullmods would all be found in the first salvage operation and double dipping would only give you commodities.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Athenir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 12:00:50 AM »

my view is that you send people in the station the first time and they can access the undamaged part, then salvage with your ships the second time to access the area you couldnt earlier.

it use two different type of salvaging modifier which make it possible that you can salvage easily on the first part but have a harder time on the second one based on how your fleet is set up.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 09:38:24 AM »

It would make sense to me that on the first trip, your crew bring back things that aren't nailed down, like supplies, blueprints, fuel, food, volatiles; you know, things that are IN the derelicts.  The SECOND trip would be where you pick up things like the metals, the transplutonics, etc.  meaning the derelicts THEMSELVES.

'Hardspace: Shipbreaker' demonstrates my logic; FIRST you go in and take all the valuable stuff like electronics, possessions, key components out safely, THEN you tear the ship apart for scrap.

If all that's not worth the trouble, then yes, a single salvage trip makes the most sense to me.

Excretusmaximus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 04:16:55 PM »

We're playing a game about flying around space and shooting intelligent computer programs while also hopping from one side of the sector to another in less than a second.  I'm not looking for realism, I'm wondering why we're being forced to push the button again, and sometimes even twice more.

Vaelophisnyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 01:54:13 AM »

Code/Gameplay reasoning: it's hard to merge multiple debris fields in one spot into a single one of equal value to all merged fields

The reason we have to repeatedly salvage is often that there are many, many debris fields stacked after back-to-back combats

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 06:18:15 AM »

Code/Gameplay reasoning: it's hard to merge multiple debris fields in one spot into a single one of equal value to all merged fields

The reason we have to repeatedly salvage is often that there are many, many debris fields stacked after back-to-back combats
This part is mostly understandable, but the OP was talking about probes & stations. It doesn't make sense from a game perspective that you when you do the second salvage, you still get 'stored' stuff like ore and other commodities, and even blueprints and less common items. I don't remember ever getting cores or artifacts from the second salvage, but that might just be my memory. :p

When you do the first salvage, it generates a debris field, so you've already 'cut up' the station, and you're just, hypothetically, just collecting all the debris now. I wouldn't expect to find an artifact, blueprints, or similar items at that stage.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 09:34:18 AM »

This part is mostly understandable, but the OP was talking about probes & stations. It doesn't make sense from a game perspective that you when you do the second salvage, you still get 'stored' stuff like ore and other commodities, and even blueprints and less common items. I don't remember ever getting cores or artifacts from the second salvage, but that might just be my memory. :p

When you do the first salvage, it generates a debris field, so you've already 'cut up' the station, and you're just, hypothetically, just collecting all the debris now. I wouldn't expect to find an artifact, blueprints, or similar items at that stage.
I do remember getting some rare stuff on salvage debris. It is rare but it does happen sometimes.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.