Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Light Mauler  (Read 1495 times)

Nettle

• Admiral
  • making humorous maneuvers
    • View Profile
Re: Light Mauler
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2023, 11:55:22 AM »

Mining Blaster.  It is hybrid now.  Not saying it is the best or even good option.

At 500 range and no sustained damage I don't really see it being more desirable for any ship that could be using heavy mortar instead.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Light Mauler
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2023, 01:04:59 PM »

Re: Light assault gun, I think its in a good place where it is useful vs a large swathe of early game threats and not useful later on. I'm ok with weapons being obsolete as the threat profile changes. It's kind of like small mount Reapers in reverse. In the early game when fighting groups of little nimble pirates reapers aren't going to do anything, especially compared to a reliable light HE missile like swarmers/breaches etc. But once enemy cruisers/capitals start becoming the problem reapers are great on small mounts.

In terms of a "medium assault gun", something akin to 800 range, 70 HE shot size, 210 DPS, 1.0 flux efficiency, 10 OP, slight spread on shots, medium shot speed, strikes me as in the right ballpark. The weakness is that the penetration is still kinda bad, though still better than many other options and able to deal with destroyers and light cruisers. It would be pretty good vs hull. I don't really see how it would be an extreme threat vs frigates tbh.
Pages: 1 2 [3]