Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Why do AI inspections always succeed.  (Read 1585 times)

IceFire

• Lieutenant
  • If you find typos, keep them.
    • View Profile
Why do AI inspections always succeed.
« on: November 04, 2023, 04:35:53 PM »

I am now in cycle 274 (its slightly modded so i still have some stuff to do) i have never had an AI inspection fail if i wasent there watching them get destroyed. From the ingame year one can infer that i have ALL bells and whistles at that colony. The estimation shows outmatched and outmatched in my favor. How does this make any sense that they still get through. Is it a version specific bug that has been fixed i am still on 0.95.1.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 04:57:24 PM by IceFire »

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Why do AI inspections always succeed.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 05:23:10 PM »

You'll either have to be hostile to hegemony for the patrol to automatically engage the inspection, or find the inspection in intel screen to set your stance against the inspection. Otherwise, you are by default set to comply with the inspection and result in it succeeds.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 09:45:02 AM »

It's also not impossible that your fleets were otherwise engaged by something else and the inspection fleet just snuck through.  I've had that happen.  It's infuriating, but legitimate.  That's why I prefer to settle in systems with multiple planets so I can have multiple bases stacking defense fleets.  Even if the don't clean house, they WILL catch whatever slips in, buying time.

And yeah, if you're not enemies with the hedgies, be sure to change your colony's orders so they don't just hand the cores over.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 01:01:12 PM »

because they are ridiculously powerful and no AI fleet (well obviously there are ways to make your fleet ridiculously powerful) can defeat them in calculations of pts

This is partially due to Hegemony having 5 doctrine in officers, the only viable stat, and due to the fact that they are simply that huge.

HOWEVER, it is possible to deter it once they try to recover stuff from the colony. You just need s-mods in defenses, planetary shield, the item or alpha core that increases defense and high stability. Funnily enough you can put an Alpha Core both on the planetary shield and heavy batteries. S-mods work that way as well, but... U know... S-mods are better off being in production. Cause at that point no fleet can actually get past that.

If you want to defeat the incoming fleet and not just deter their siege you are going to need a very hot world with cryoarithmetic engine, s-mod and alpha core applied onto the high command and an alpha core put as the administrator.  That might be enough, although...

You know... Game can be kinda mean...

Spoiler
Also, the officer part might be true, but not necessarily for pts. Though I think it is. Set your fleet pts to 5 officers... Always... There is no point in taking anything else in the game's current balance. If you want to have it more balanced, then you can go to the game's config file and change the fleet size and fleet quality stats so that it is more paying off to invest into them.

data-> config-> settings.json

ctrl+f - search for "maxDoctrineNumShipsMult"
set "maxDoctrineNumShipsMult" to 3.5
and set "doctrineFleetQualityPerPoint" to 0.5

This way maxing quality is pointless as you get enough of it by lvl 2, and maxing size is way stronger, adjustable to how powerful officers can be.

This might feel too high, and I will test it further, but this is like a place to start I guess. You can put it somewhere else if you want to, obviously.

While you're at it, you can also go change the stats of other factions like Tri-Tachyon, LC and Persean League so they're on par with Hegemony, and if you're feeling extra mean, you can nerf the stats of the Remnants from 5 5 5, to something like 4 1 2...

Here's doctrine comps I recommend, first number is officer strength, second is fleet amount, third is fleet quality.

Quality Fleet : 4 1 2 (Remnant, Tri-Tachyon, Omega)
Numerous Fleet: 3 3 1 (Luddic Church, Derelicts, Lion's Guard)
Balanced Fleet: 3 2 2 (Hegemony, Persean League, Indies)
Elite Fleet: 5 1 1 (Pirate, Luddic Path, Sindrian Diktat, Mercenaries)
Amount Fleet: 1 5 1 (Scavengers)

This will drastically affect game's difficulty and make it actually easier to progress as there will be an in-between the stupid balance of Remnants being ridiculously strong, and the pathetic armies of Core Worlds being weak as a freaking hamster.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 01:23:38 PM by Killer of Fate »