Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Salvors in the Ruin, a digital painting story  (Read 2360 times)

Platypus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Salvors in the Ruin, a digital painting story
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2023, 09:00:39 AM »

Ooo, artwork! Very nice. It's quite fascinating to get a peek into your creative process since the details on the illustrations are astounding (the raid prep artwork's my favorite, so many bits and bobs on all the marines).
By the by, while we're on illustrations, I've noticed Umbra getting more lore stuff last update; any chance it could get a special illustration sometime in the future? I can't recall pirate colonies having any special artwork at all, which is kinda sad 'cause aren't the pirates a major factor in all sorts of historical events, all the warlords and that? I'll admit, I have a soft spot for Umbra. But I feel it's fair to say that, out of all the pirate colonies, Umbra is the one of the most notable (best lore, a totally objective fact  ;)), along with Kanta's Den (story important) and Kapteyn Starworks (gameplay important due to shipworks). It's the only "revolutionary"-type pirate colony which lends potential to contrast with Sindria's oppressive artwork, and planetary conditions are harsh which lends potential to contrast with Volturn's open-air, blue sea stuff. Idk, I just really like Umbra  :).

anti-iridium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 07:24:49 AM »

I gotta say, one of the things I love about this game is the artwork, so please keep up the great work!

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2023, 05:24:52 AM »

I gotta say, one of the things I love about this game is the artwork, so please keep up the great work!

Thank you!

Ooo, artwork! Very nice. It's quite fascinating to get a peek into your creative process since the details on the illustrations are astounding (the raid prep artwork's my favorite, so many bits and bobs on all the marines).
By the by, while we're on illustrations, I've noticed Umbra getting more lore stuff last update; any chance it could get a special illustration sometime in the future?

Also, thank you!

To answer your question: maybe.

It's probably obvious that I've been setting up some potential plots in and around Umbra, but it's a matter of seeing how those would fit into the work that needs to be done to actually finish the game and pay off on previous actually-implemented stuff. So I'd love to add more Umbra stuff, but I can't promise it because it is not absolutely essential.

Do a version where the salvors are 'cosmic horror blobs'

...Of course, it'd be the most proper cosmic horror if I didn't draw them at all 'cause they'd be inconceivable and inexpressible...

Just wondering if there is any kind of idea on the amount of story (narrative) content that is being aimed for?

I understand it might be hard to put a finger on, and it gets complicated by the events system, but some general idea - perhaps that's a quest/mission number, or a time estimate, or even a rough idea on how many words of written stuff?

I really want to just answer with "yes" and leave it at that, but I'll be Nice.

The answer is not quantifiable by any of the means you propose. It's more one of fulfilling a functional requirement: the narrative content will be completed when the game delivers on the set-ups that have been put into place by the currently available worldbuilding and narrative. That said, I'd also like to add more than the "minimum viable story", but how much that turns out to be is a question of how much I can do with my time.

Platypus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2023, 10:15:19 AM »

So I'd love to add more Umbra stuff, but I can't promise it because it is not absolutely essential.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that's reasonable, and it nevertheless makes me quite happy to know that there's a slight chance I'll get to see some sweet Umbra artwork. Cheers!
Pages: 1 [2]