Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: [0.97a] Take No Prisoners v0.17.0, a mod about taking prisoners  (Read 3492 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile

Take No Prisoners

Download
Requires MagicLib 
SAFE TO ADD TO EXISTING SAVES.

view source code

Take No Prisoners allows you to take enemy officers captive and have a one-on-one conversation with them. Most vanilla factions have their own defined dialogues as part of this mod, so the prisoners you capture will be different across factions, and sometimes even within factions!

Save-compatible, but cannot be removed from a save once it is added. It is probably incompatible with Capture Officers and Crew, but doesn't have other known incompatibilities.

NOTE: This mod is in maintenance mode. It will receive game compatibility updates and simple bug fixes only.
I have no plans to implement new features. The original author, PresidentMattDamon, is no longer able to work on the mod and has granted me permission to keep it alive, as it was a mainstay on many modlists.

How does it work?
Destroying enemy fleets from most vanilla and modded factions will give you prisoners.
These prisoners can be viewed using the "View Prisoners" ability on the hotbar.

This ability opens up a UI that allows you to interact with your prisoners. Each prisoner has specific actions that can be taken to deal with them, but the main point of the mod is the Talk button, which opens up a dialog with them.

Choosing to work with your prisoner will often have better results than lying or killing them, and can even result in gaining benefits. You can still choose to execute, ransom or release your prisoners; but for most officers it isn't as simple as bribing them to get a free level 7 officer, nor is it as easy as clicking a button to get some free credits by ransoming them back to their own faction from anywhere in the sector.

For mod authors, the mod is fully extensible for your own faction and even your own officers.
A great example of a special implementation is in the PAGSM Sindrian Fuel Company mod, which adds full conversations with some of their important officers.

Changelog
- Recompile for 0.97a & updated mod_info.json.
- Lowered cooldown for View Prisoners ability.
- No other changes. This is basically the same as the 0.16.1 release.

- Last release by PresidentMattDamon.

Credits
PresidentMattDamon, who made the mod.

License: CC BY-NC-ND (please don't sell, please don't fork/modify. learning from it is totally fine)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 08:43:19 AM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Managers: SMOL & TriOS | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Take No Prisoners v0.17.0, a mod about taking prisoners
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 07:55:37 AM »

FAQ

1. Does this have any artificial incompatibility, save bricking, or malware?
  No.
  That's against forum rules and also I have a little, idk, credo that I've come up with over time:
    1. Keep the game something that the devs enjoy working on.
    2. Make it simple for someone to get started, find mods, and start playing.
    3. Attract, keep, and support awesome mod makers.

2. Why do this?
  In short, so that people can play it.
  In long, it sucks when mods disappear and you have to track them down to private communities, old links, and/or force the mod to run and just hope it doesn't break. I hate seeing people ask, "Where is X mod?" and the answer is, "You can't* get it any more."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 10:15:55 AM by Wispborne »
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Managers: SMOL & TriOS | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

WMGreywind

• Lieutenant
  • The circuit is one. And one is the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 09:55:56 AM »

Good to see someone working to keep this mod alive. Thanks again Wisp for being awesome!

LeetKroo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 07:36:55 PM »

Common Wisp W. Now I can put my bootleg 0.96a version to rest.

Captain Toga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 08:20:06 PM »

Our hero, the great Wisp
"We have the AI cores and the robotics technology. So just hear me out on this."
~ Tech Chief before the killer robot maid incident

LuciferFox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024, 08:41:30 PM »

oh nice , thanks for keeping this mod alive , I been seeing this mod on YouTube for a long time and seeing how i cant download it anymore on 0.97 was sad.