Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24)

Author Topic: High Scatter Amplifier - Worth the cost?  (Read 1573 times)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
High Scatter Amplifier - Worth the cost?
« on: June 29, 2023, 08:53:07 AM »

Curious to know if anyone has found a ship build (any ship) using High Scatter Amplifier which isn't surpassed by another build on the same ship that doesn't use HSA.

Also, do you make use of its S-Mod upgrade feature?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: High Scatter Amplifier - Worth the cost?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 04:29:10 PM »

I use it on Wolf when I fight SIM Lasher because of its 0.6 efficiency DLACs.  Pulse Laser is not guaranteed to win that fight - not efficient enough.  The only weapon more efficient than Pulse Laser that does not cost more flux than Wolf can muster (i.e., no Kinetic Blaster) is Graviton Beam (plus other beams) with High Scatter Amplifier.  Along with Graviton Beam, I use Tactical Laser and two LR PDs (mainly they are more efficient than Tactical Laser, and Wolf has mediocre flux stats).  I used a similar loadout on Glimmer in bounty fights, and it is functional.

I have used two HSA Graviton Beams plus missiles on Tempest and Brawler-TT.  They can work, but they may not be better than alternatives.  Later, I may try Tempest with one Pulse Laser and one HSA Graviton beyond the SIM.

Lately, I have tried few other HSA loadouts in SIM now that Tactical Laser is more efficient than before (0.8 instead of 1.0), and s-mod Expanded Magazines seriously buffed burst PDs.  Though they appear useful in the SIM, I have yet to try most of them out of the SIM.

S-mod High Scatter Amplifier bonus is kind of lame (only +5%? Come on!)  I will get it if I have nothing better.  Usually, it is better to s-mod a more expensive hullmod with no bonus because the ships that I consider using HSA on have lean OP budgets.

In any case, High Scatter Amplifier has been useful for me, more so since some of the beams were buffed, either directly or indirectly through s-mod bonuses.

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 08:02:22 PM »

Neural linked phase lance Harbinger tag-team.

Kind of a meme build.

delra

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 09:14:17 AM »

It cuts range so much that it's barely worth it. You can build a very fast ship with either phase (aurora? harbinger?) or tach lances (champion? sunder?) that could use HSA pretty well, but then you'll realize Ion Pulser + Exp Mags would have worked much better on the same hull. There's very little point using it with regular beam weapons (too low damage combined with low range will force you to stay in contact too long), even less point using it on capital ships (Paragon with HSA is just sad, enemies getting out of its range so easily).

In short, you can try using it, but it won't be so good.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 01:56:49 PM »

Here are some loadouts (without skills and without s-mods) I have used:

Wolf
Capacitors: 9
Vents: 10
Weapons:  1x Graviton Beam, 2x Tactical Laser, 2x Breach SRM
Hullmods:  Hardened Shields, High Scatter Amplifier, Integrated Targeting Unit

At first, I had one Tactical Laser, two LR PD, and two Atropos, but the LR PDs rarely shot down missiles in time, and it burnt through armor too slowly.  Breach is more reliable at hitting ships with light PD.

Tempest
Capacitors: 8
Vents: 10
Weapons:  1x Pulse Laser, 1x Graviton Beam

If PPT is not enough, lower caps to 7 and replace ITU with Hardened Subsystems.  Pulse Laser is primary anti-armor for this loadout.

Medusa
Capacitors: 10
Vents: 20
Weapons:  2x Graviton Beam, 2x IR Pulse Laser, 2x Light Needler

I used a Medusa similar to this before late-game because I did not have better options for medium energy.  (No IR Autolances available, and I had to get close anyway to use other weapons.)  I had Railguns, but used Light Needlers instead because flux use was a bit too high to sustain with Railguns.

BFEL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 02:14:49 AM »

I actually use it all the time. I've found a preference for using it with the BRDY Strike Suite on Blackrock hulls, particularly their frigates and wolfpacking like that.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, since I tend to throw it on things that already expect to get within dogfighting distance, though I DID try a firelance build with it on a cruiser in this latest game thats pretty fun.

TBH not sure how well this all performs comparatively, not exactly making super hard data here.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 06:49:00 AM »

Nova 2 tachyon lance, go wrrryyyyy
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 06:50:26 AM »

its pretty funny on scarabs with built in magazines and burst pd lasers in all the front slots

Void Ganymede

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 06:52:46 AM »

S-modded IPDAI burst lasers with elite PD skill are actually ~okay in officer hands. AI doesn't get max weapon uptime anyway.

IDA Frigate Captain

• Ensign
  • Universal Scav
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 05:11:21 PM »

Paragon with HSA is just sad, enemies getting out of its range so easily
Yup! So ineffective. (PS: I have only run it with this exact loadout since I bought it)
Spoiler

[close]
My first thought in winning the flux war - which dumb ass engineer put shields and weapons inseparably linked to the same flux system?!