Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this game for me ?  (Read 452 times)

Camscade

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Is this game for me ?
« on: August 26, 2023, 02:12:06 AM »

Hello

I am in search for a space trading game with a good economy simulation.
I'd like to be able to play with minimum combat except to protect my trade and pacify zone before mining for example.

After some research StarSector popped-up quite often.

But I not sure it's the right fit for me, as it seems to be more focused on combat.

So is this game for me or not ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 02:17:07 AM by Camscade »

Europa Jupiter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Is this game for me ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 03:27:30 AM »

I am sad to inform you that in my personal opinion Star Sector, while being fantastic game, is absolutely NOT your cup of tea. If what you want is to take care of trading and make that your main focus then I would suggest avoiding this game as it may lead to frustration. Star Sector focuses strongly on combat as far as I believe. That being said, trading is a thing here. But it's implementation is... Well, it is not even close to being focus of game.

But perhaps other people will give you different answer - proving me wrong.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 04:19:34 AM »

Commercial can be a viable play option in StarSector, but may not be the generally pursued one. The game does have a relatively complicated and fine-tuned economy system, but the trading experience would mainly be delivery/purchase contract found in bars and contacts, rather than actively buying and selling good. The 30% general tariff in legal markets makes ordinary trading little profitable unless surpluses and deficits are properly AND TIMELY exploited, and they often resolve and expire before a larger and slower fleet can arrive. The current version of SS encourages frequent checking the bar for merchant to contract with, which may be developed further to receive regular jobs from. This result in that waiting in orbit of a producer world for a shortage happen in a consumer world unpractical, since you would spend most of the time travelling between worlds, and travel to a world to buy goods and then sell them to shortages will often have a window too short to catch.

The general focus of SS is in combat, with the past few updates focused on exploring. Trading can be fun, but definitely not the major fun.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Camscade

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 04:57:11 AM »

Thanks for your replies !

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 05:01:36 AM »

I'm hoping the mod eventually develops this aspect of the game to make it more of a truly sandbox game, but I don't know if that is his (their?) intent.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 05:51:52 AM »

Alex has said that the starsector is focused on combat and other elements are implemented more for creating more opportunities and paths into combat.

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 09:43:44 PM »

I kinda don't see the reason why not to download and see for yourself. With mods, such as Nexerelin and Stelnet, trade is a viable route in the game. But yeah, it isn't the main focus, more like just one of the methods to make money (as in Space Rangers, and many other games). Managing colonies with IndEvo is something that's more fun.