Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I just beat the game! (of course just alpha...  (Read 7383 times)

carrier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I just beat the game! (of course just alpha...
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:33 AM »

In-game time is now Apr 13, 208, played more than 40 hours in real-life I suppose, almost one third of it was spent in the simulation enjoying comparing different layout  ;)
Now I have a powerful fleet that no NPC can win, say, I beat the game :)

Spoiler
[close]
This is my fleet right now, with them I can beat almost everything!
BTW there's no Paragon-class for sale, I got this amazing ship very luckily: I encountered a tri-tachyon fleet just fought with some low-tech guys, escaping with a damaged Paragon-class and few other cruisers and destroyers. Then I save the game, cut them up, auto fight, loot; repeat until board the Paragon! ;)

Spoiler
[close]
My onslaught layout, I call him Death because in simulation mode, even another onslaught can't stand a chance in front of him.
1 vs 4 cruiser(2x domination + eagle + venture), Death won.
1 vs 2 (another onslaught + conquest), Death won, without hull damaged.
So my suggestion is, buy a onslaught ASAP at middle game, it's amazing. hope it won't be nerf :/

Spoiler
[close]
My Paragon layout, guess what? Puuuuuuuuuuuure beam! That's why I call him Light.
I don't know how Advanced Optics and integrated targeting unit stacks, is it (BASE RANGE+200)*BONUS or BASE RANGE*BONUS+200?
Whatever, those mod makes Tachyon Lance a killer, the range of it now is 7800 or 7700, covers more than half a map. Light have TWO of it, baby!

My favorite fight style is let my fleet to deal with big ones
Then I can drive my lovely Medusa around, sniping out those poor ships run out of shield with a pair of antimatter blaster. That feels GOOD.

Then it's time to waiting for new release and tring out mods :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:21:16 AM by carrier »

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I just beat the game! (of course just alpha...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 05:47:17 AM »

Its not too hard to come up with a fleet that can win against NPCs, the main problem is with losses. Its rather hard to replace lost ships even if you have infinite money due to the way stations restock right now.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:50:06 AM »

I, too, find the Medusa one of the more fun ships to pilot.

carrier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:05:34 AM »

Its not too hard to come up with a fleet that can win against NPCs, the main problem is with losses. Its rather hard to replace lost ships even if you have infinite money due to the way stations restock right now.

That's why my fleet strong.
Medusa is fast, she can take care of herself at most time
Another medusa I'm controlling is more smart to avoid strong force that a destroyer can not handle

With the support of Paragon(half a map!) and Odyssey, kill my Death will costs enemy a lot.
I've tested in simulation for hundred times, Death can handle ALL the fighters including the bomber wing in sim mode, at once.
Death can also kill four cruiser, at once.
Onslaught is a hard guy, indeed.

Before I got the Paragon, there are two onslaught in my fleet, and I NEVER lost any of my main force.
But fighters are really fragile, I always lost some in hard battles, however you have a good chance to board a lot of them, too. Fighters are cheap, anyway.

Far before I got my first capital ship and cruiser or even destroyer... I seldom lost my main force if fight carefully enough. Let AI fight the front line and you flak manually is a good choice to beat strong enemy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:11:03 AM by carrier »

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »

Only two torpedo launchers on your Onslaught? Blasphemy...

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:40:58 AM »

Beam weapons can't generate hard flux (I don't know if that also goes for tachyon lances) so I wouldn't want to use that Paragon against another shield heavy ship.

BTW, did you run those simulations in half damage mode (on by default)? You may be surprised at the performance you'll see from your ships when the AI handles them...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:42:34 AM by KDR_11k »

carrier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:20:27 AM »

Beam weapons can't generate hard flux (I don't know if that also goes for tachyon lances) so I wouldn't want to use that Paragon against another shield heavy ship.

BTW, did you run those simulations in half damage mode (on by default)? You may be surprised at the performance you'll see from your ships when the AI handles them...

Full damage, from the beginning.
Yes, beams can't generate hard flux, that hurts

For fighting low-tech guys, you need to keep their flux at high rate so they can't rush you, long-range beam support is more than enough.
When fighting high-tech guys, you need to suck their shield quickly before they tore you up, beam support is good but not that effective.

In fact, pure beam ship can hardly kill anything themselves, but when used as support it's rather useful.
Imagine you're fighting with someone tough and there's a beamer continuously shooting at you, oooops, epic annoying!! :)

I have to confess, the layout is somewhat because of my beam addiction ;)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »

It's a Paragon, being under fire from that shouldn't be just annoying, it should be lethal.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »

Savescummer. You haven't beat the game. Get your Paragon by killing many many Tritach fleets, like the rest of us.  ;D

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »

I once encountered a boardable Paragon but didn't have enough marines to take it (had about 150), that was in the previous version. In my current game the tri tach station has a Paragon for sale, 180000 credits. Yeah, I think I'll keep cruising around in my Thumpslaught for a while.

carrier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:09 AM »

I once encountered a boardable Paragon but didn't have enough marines to take it (had about 150), that was in the previous version. In my current game the tri tach station has a Paragon for sale, 180000 credits. Yeah, I think I'll keep cruising around in my Thumpslaught for a while.

Me, too. I had a chance to board a Paragon before this one, but all my 275 marines dead for it :(
What a pity, the boarding progress is nearly 90% I swear, but I have to scrap it only because I can't board it peacefully.

..wait, a Paragon for sale? You didn't know how I raid around the system holding more than 200k credits just because there's no stronger ship to buy!

Well seems the ship for sale is random and they won't refresh(except for cargo items)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:49:44 AM »

Erm, pretty sure version 52 added ship refilling. There's a lot of extra stuff available at the stations in my current game, including tons of Hammerheads, a Conquest at the Hegemony station, etc.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »

they refill, but its very slow and you don't always get the right ship. My Tri-Tach station is full with Freighters and Tempests but no Paragon or Astral. I like Odyseys more so I don't care... It also doesn't refresh tachyon lances and I want some for my back sides....

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:33 AM »

You think you beat the game? Start again  :)

That's the fun, replayability.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:09 AM »

Damn tiny fleet.

I used to roll with 3 Paragons, an Astral, Two Conquests, an Onslaught, Dominator, 3x Falcon, 1x Eagle, 1x Apogee, 1x Aurora, 3x Tempest, 3x Wolf, 1x Medusa, 3x Warthog, 4x Thunder, 1x Gemini, 2x Hammerheads.

As much as I can remember, the FP was well over 300. This was 0.51a, though
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: [1] 2