Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Does combat readiness decrease for enemy ships too or just player ships?  (Read 712 times)

rogerbacon

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'm staging a series of computer vs computer fights for testing and I've never noticed the enemy ships start having malfunctions. I even made a player ship with 10 minutes of combat readiness and it ran out while the enemy ships continued to be fine. Does combat readiness decrease only affect player ships?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

CR timers affect every ship, player and enemy alike. (Excluding stations and certain Omega-class ships - those are a special case, and have no CR timer.)

However, there is one additional gotcha here: CR time only runs down if there are enough hostile ships nearby. If you're piloting a cruiser, and that cruiser is the only ship of yours on the field, enemy capital ships will never lose CR.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

rogerbacon

• Commander
    • View Profile

CR timers affect every ship, player and enemy alike. (Excluding stations and certain Omega-class ships - those are a special case, and have no CR timer.)

However, there is one additional gotcha here: CR time only runs down if there are enough hostile ships nearby. If you're piloting a cruiser, and that cruiser is the only ship of yours on the field, enemy capital ships will never lose CR.

Thank you. I did notice that sometimes it would say low enemy presence or something like that and CR would not deplete. I don't suppose the formula is listed anywhere as to what constitutes a significant enemy presence.

Worldtraveller

• Commander
    • View Profile

Is this also true for the AI fleets (remnants?) I've tried watching the CR, and it seems like even though a lot of my ships' officers have Combat Endurance, my CR starts depleting before even the pirates. My CR starts a bit higher because of mods and officers though. I'll try to monitor it a little more closely and see if it's just my perception or not.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Remnant ships do tend to have longer CR timers than regular ships.
(You can view these stats when you encounter a fleet and haven't started combat yet; mouse over the enemy ships and take a look.)

Pirates, by contrast, do not. If you're running out of CR before they are, that's probably because the pirate ships that would have run out of CR are, instead, already dead.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It also bears mentioning that human-faction fleets generally try to avoid engagements unless the computer believes that their fleet strength is at least equivalent to the player's, so especially by the time the player fleet starts capping out the computer is relatively likely to have reserves that it can bring in during an engagement, and that human-faction ships are not programmed to fight to the death so ships that become too badly damaged or run too low on CR during an engagement may attempt to withdraw.