Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Opponents escape by flying and staying offscreen on the sides.  (Read 1569 times)

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile

I caught a small fleet of fast ships (Tempest, Wasps) with my larger fleet, so they decided to "break through" and escape. I'm finding that try evade by trying to fly off to the sides  (trying to maintain a distance of about 1000-1500 minimum from any of my ships) before trying to head back toward my side of the field.

Problem: if my ships can keep up with them pretty well (I had Tempests deployed), they KEEP flying off to the side, past the edge of the battlefield, THEN continue southward once they are at their safe minimum distance of 1000-1500 away from any of my vessels. My vessels, on the other hand, can't/won't travel beyond the visible bounds of the battlefield.

So in other words: there's an exploit/bug that fast AI vessels can use to run away during a breakthrough goal that players can't counter at all. My ships will stop and back up once they pass the map edges if they'r not ordered to retreat. The same restriction doesn't seem to affect enemy ships. Screenshot attached to show the situation.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Opponents escape by flying and staying offscreen on the sides.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:04:51 AM »

This only affects fighters (and on both sides, too). You could actually chase them down with your own fighters, just not regular ships. Hardly ideal, but... hmm. I'll think about what to do here, thank you for the report.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »

Uh, actually, I had an enemy Tempest do that to me earlier (I wish I had a shot of that). It only happens when the enemy is doing the "Breakthrough"/Escape goal for a battle. It hasn't done that to me yet in a normal Attack or Defend scenario. If it happens again, I'll try to remember to get a screenshot to be sure.

EDIT: Yep. Got it to do it again. Got a screenshot, but I can't add it to an edited/modified message and I don't like double-posting if I can help it (bad forum etiquette, IMO.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:28:46 AM by StahnAileron »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »

Uh, actually, I had an enemy Tempest do that to me earlier (I wish I had a shot of that). It only happens when the enemy is doing the "Breakthrough"/Escape goal for a battle. It hasn't done that to me yet in a normal Attack or Defend scenario. If it happens again, I'll try to remember to get a screenshot to be sure.

Ahh, ok - thank you for mentioning that. No need for a screenshot, it makes sense now, as far as what's happening.