Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Has the new Colony Threat system made AI Cores useless?  (Read 1283 times)

SeriousWays

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Has the new Colony Threat system made AI Cores useless?
« on: July 02, 2023, 12:36:15 PM »

For the first time in my life I got a great run at the game, where I was practically drowning in Alpha cores at the early game.
I decided to put them to good use in colonies so I can maximize profit while occasionally bribing Hegemony scum to leave me alone.
Then I noticed the new Colony Threat system (used to play an older version prior to a few weeks ago).

Now instead of dealing with the occasional Pather base and ridding myself of most Pather activity, I have a constantly running clock which is set to drive me out of my mind through constant stability drops, raids, and other problems.

How do you circumvent these drawbacks?
Also, how do you use cores on your colonies?

I am looking for some fresh opinion and maybe a new tactic to try out.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Has the new Colony Threat system made AI Cores useless?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 12:50:19 PM »

Pathers ignore size 3 worlds.  For bigger worlds, Pathers need to be bargained with.  Permanent solution involves giving them a unique cursed item.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 05:32:55 PM »

It also bears mentioning that a High Command on a size-5 or size-6 colony will give you a passive -15/-18 Hostile Activity, so as long as you swat any threatening pirate bases and you don't have anything else generating Path interest there should be just about exactly enough room in the Hostile Activity budget for one Alpha Core even without paying anyone off, or maybe for a couple Alpha Cores if you're willing to let Hostile Activity reach the Increased Defenses threshold.

That said, I feel that as the game currently stands about the only really practical use for alpha cores on colonies is to hit a particularly high production target (i.e. 10+ organics/volatiles/transplutonics from a single colony so that you can turn on Cryorevival Facilities, Orbital Fusion Lamps, and Hypershunt taps) while doing so is still relevant, because with the way the game's colonial economy works there's not much practical reason to expand beyond five or six, maybe seven colonies, especially if you're actually developing them rather than leaving industry slots open or allowing the colonies to remain at size-3 indefinitely, and you can probably manage that many colonies without actually needing to use any alpha cores as administrators.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 08:01:28 PM »

This happened to me when I loaded my 0.95 save in 0.96. I had like 8 planets all with a Alpha/Gamma core. Hostile Activity was going crazy.

But ultimately it didn't really change anything. Sure I was getting some Stability penalty but all that does is makes you slightly less money, and all the invasion fleets were easily handled by my system's defense fleets.

I can see it being a problem when you're only starting up your colonies but in that case... I'd say it's fair enough? Use fleshbag Administrators until you can handle the invasions.

SeriousWays

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 03:17:16 AM »

I managed to build a Military Base on my colony and I got e pretty strong reduction on the threat.
Still, growing my colony without cores showed me that they are a bit irrelevant.
If you find a good system, you can supply almost everything yourself. My colonies are first or second on the market for most of the commodities they produce.

But there was just something beautiful in having Alpha administrator on each colony and cores on every industry that had high requirements.

Thank you all for the suggestions you shared. Now I may even decide to spread out a little and make colonies in a second system, as long as I can find a good enough system for it.

CJays

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 06:17:57 PM »

Just started playing the game again after a year+ off, but the system seems pretty backward. It makes no sense that a self-sufficient system with 3-4 colonies with 3-4 High Commands could have lower accessibility and stability than some 1-planet system. Plus the idea that a system out in the sticks can reduce the stability and accessibility of core planets is strange. I have no issue with heat zones increasing pirate fleet size and frequency or even that there are temporary penalties when a pirate base pops up near your colonies, but the new penalty system makes no sense.

I've read that you can make deals with pirate leaders to ignore the system, but how does trusting the word of pirates make more sense than just nuking them from orbit and wiping out their fleets? But I'll just disable it until the system is changed, or someone creates a mod that makes more sense.

Pancakeofdooms

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 02:10:19 AM »

The threat system ruined a lot of my runs untill i accidently found out how to beat it. so il tell you and save you the time as its not explained properly what you need to do.
 theres a secret quest you can do for the ludds. when they set up a spacestation that threatens your colony you need to go to it and then talk to there commanding officer. once you do it they will leave you alone.