Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Codex 20  (Read 71812 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Codex 12
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »

color are simple:
for ship balance
blue=underpowered
cyan
green=balanced
yellow
red=overpowered
purple=very overpowered

for weapons attribute
blue=very good
cyan
green=average
yellow
red=bad
purple=very bad

Thanks man :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Codex 13
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2012, 06:02:51 PM »

Woo, it's getting good, but it me, or the ship sprites don't show up in the ship tab, but show up in the comparison and variant tabs..

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2012, 06:33:45 PM »

Nice tool, with definite potential. However I've noticed that it has issues with certain ships/ship types, though its good for the more normal ships.

It seems to be failing to account correctly for ship systems and ships that excel in a specific task (esp. specific combat tasks)? (For example, the Hyperion is rated squarely as underpowered, and a lot of specific ships tend to be skewed either high or low; ie, it rates my Vulture as being one of the suckiest (if not the suckiest) ships in existence all around, while its actually not that bad in practice (though it was never really meant to operate solo in the first place), and on the opposite side it rates the Desperation as being balanced (ok, maybe thats because it is dirt cheap and uses only 2FP to field and looks good on paper due to lots of slots; however, in reality can't use them all maximally due to extremely low OP) when a solo Desperation is the most complete and total pushover to everything except unshielded hounds (but only if it has a bunch of harpoons) and freighters, and in comparison to all the other frigates, it is the worst by a significant margin in nearly every single stat except for max crew count (fairly bad), turn rate (mediocre), turn rate accel (mediocre), min crew count (good), price (best), and Fleet Points (best).)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »

The combat balance value is calculated from the op cost of the ship, and the effectiveness, beforehand, the hyperion was pretty high up on the codex, but after the the change to cost 15 fp it's underrated as UP even though it's teleporter is still a wildcard we all say it's still a fairly op frigate.

The fact that it's 15 fp makes it rank in the cruiser slots, and cruisers tend to have alot more slots and armor and etc, so imo it's correct that for it's cost, it isn't a terribly good deal ( balance). But shipsystems do to tend to sway our opinion :P

Check the Combat Score for how much the codex actually rates your ship in worthiness, check Combat Balance to determine if you should add or subtract FP cost.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:59 PM »

... I checked the combat score... It clocked in at 3rd worst, beating ONLY the plain Buffalo and the plain Atlas. Yet with the right loadout, and proper support (or just a slow enough opponent and good piloting) it can be quite powerful, as I have confirmed through playtesting.

[edit - also, I noticed that it glitches up on the mod display for any mod that doesn't add any ships or weapons or such; maybe it should just mark them in light grey or something?]

[edit again - anyways, aside from those few issues, it seems to be a rather neat and useful tool; can't wait for wings to be implemented!]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:28:28 PM by Avan »

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2012, 12:37:51 AM »

Woo, it's getting good, but it me, or the ship sprites don't show up in the ship tab, but show up in the comparison and variant tabs..
It happens only sometimes, restart the codex.
I have fixed it in the next version

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2012, 01:07:14 AM »

Nice tool, with definite potential. However I've noticed that it has issues with certain ships/ship types, though its good for the more normal ships.

It seems to be failing to account correctly for ship systems and ships that excel in a specific task (esp. specific combat tasks)? (For example, the Hyperion is rated squarely as underpowered, and a lot of specific ships tend to be skewed either high or low; ie, it rates my Vulture as being one of the suckiest (if not the suckiest) ships in existence all around, while its actually not that bad in practice (though it was never really meant to operate solo in the first place), and on the opposite side it rates the Desperation as being balanced (ok, maybe thats because it is dirt cheap and uses only 2FP to field and looks good on paper due to lots of slots; however, in reality can't use them all maximally due to extremely low OP) when a solo Desperation is the most complete and total pushover to everything except unshielded hounds (but only if it has a bunch of harpoons) and freighters, and in comparison to all the other frigates, it is the worst by a significant margin in nearly every single stat except for max crew count (fairly bad), turn rate (mediocre), turn rate accel (mediocre), min crew count (good), price (best), and Fleet Points (best).)
... I checked the combat score... It clocked in at 3rd worst, beating ONLY the plain Buffalo and the plain Atlas. Yet with the right loadout, and proper support (or just a slow enough opponent and good piloting) it can be quite powerful, as I have confirmed through playtesting.

Ship systems are not taken into account when calculating the score, It is not possible to assign a score to systems automatically.
It considers each attribute separately, it ignores good or bad combination of attributes. The combat values is a "duel" value, doesn't considers that a fleet may be more effective than the sum of its parts.

[edit - also, I noticed that it glitches up on the mod display for any mod that doesn't add any ships or weapons or such; maybe it should just mark them in light grey or something?]
fixed in the next version

zeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2012, 02:14:13 AM »

er.......program crash on launch

win8x64 and XPsp3

have installed the Redistributable Package

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2012, 03:15:08 AM »

There is a error message?

zeg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »

Faulting application name: Codex.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50355b28
Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.325, time stamp: 0x4df2be1e
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0008d6fd
Faulting process id: 0x754c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd60afb9d7fde
Faulting application path: C:\data\Games\Starfarer\Codex\Codex.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSVCR100.dll
Report Id: 39b0218c-41fe-11e2-be75-a50bad0df00d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

error from win8x64 event log

the crash mini dump file is too big to attach

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »

Needs to be updated with the new file path (game changed name from starfarer to starsector), second problem, it crashes if i got other folders on the mods folder if it doesnt find a mod_info.json, this is particularly bad when you have your netbeans workspace folders on the mods\

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Codex 14
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »

Needs to be updated with the new file path (game changed name from starfarer to starsector), second problem, it crashes if i got other folders on the mods folder if it doesnt find a mod_info.json, this is particularly bad when you have your netbeans workspace folders on the mods\
fixed both

download Codex 14
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:59:34 AM by Apophis »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »

I can't even start it, "trying to find a solution to the error" then it closes again, nothing more.

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »

The previous version worked on 0.54?

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:02 AM »

Someone else tested this?