Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Author Topic: Do you think the distance between the Core Worlds is too small?  (Read 1293 times)

Trensicourt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Just a curious question. It feels very packed for the typical sector. I can only assume that by core worlds, it also implies a really big constellation in the center of it all.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 10:36:10 PM by Trensicourt »

Marcoda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think the distance between the Core Worlds are too small?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 10:09:30 PM »

I kind of agree with you, i feel like you can get to all the places a bit to quickly. Although I see why they're all compact together to help the player get to everywhere quickly and I feel like moving everything a bit further apart may be a bit too much to do.

I kind of wish there was a large map option as well. One of the things I love doing is just exploring the whole sector and creating stories of all the places I go to. If there was a larger map option I would love this game oh so much more and I feel if would make exploring a bit more tense and exciting the further you go out due to the distance from home. Right now at the edges of the map I still don't feel any sense of worry or excitement as I don't feel like I'm that far away from the core worlds.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think the distance between the Core Worlds are too small?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 10:19:57 PM »

I never thought about it but now that you mention it... it does seem packed compared to how the rest of the sector is generated.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think the distance between the Core Worlds is too small?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 10:54:47 PM »

What is wrong with packed full of people? The cities is packed full of people. Many people prefer to live in big cities than a small village. Crowded for sure but people seem to like that very much.  ;)

what am i doing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 11:53:14 PM »

It actually makes sense that they're densely packed; the Domain picked Chicomoztoc as the initial centre of industry and colonization of nearby systems would have mainly spread out from it. It is logical that areas close to it would be settled more densely than far-out areas.

However, I do think there should be more hand-placed (but small / sparsely-populated) inhabited systems outside the Core Worlds.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 12:08:03 AM »

What is wrong with packed full of people?
Nothing particularly, but there's a very sharp and clear-cut divide between the core, where there are people, and the fringe, where there's almost literally nobody. It's kind of like the Core's some place like New York City or London while the rest of the sector is a bunch of uninhabited desert islands in the ocean somewhere, and it's doubly strange because there's all this evidence of past colonization efforts and both past and present human activity even way out on the fringe, yet unless you count the occasional pirate/pather base the only permanent civilized settlement outside of the Core is Sentinel.

smithney

• Captain
  • Internetian pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 02:35:49 AM »

I, for one, think sector layout is perfectly fine. It makes sense that the Core forms a hub, in that regard it serves a very important gameplay role. And the rest being a desert is justified. Though I wouldn't mind more far-off islands of life like Sentinel. For once it would make choosing a colony spot a bit more interesting by affecting the accessibility.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 03:28:34 AM »

What would increasing the distance between core worlds achieve? At best flying from one system to another would take longer, at worst you could also get interrupted with hyperspace storms or slipstreams.
I think a part of the reason as to why people consider core world to be denser than regular is the band of complete emptiness separating core worlds from the outer rim.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 05:39:19 AM »

What is wrong with packed full of people?
Nothing particularly, but there's a very sharp and clear-cut divide between the core, where there are people, and the fringe, where there's almost literally nobody. It's kind of like the Core's some place like New York City or London while the rest of the sector is a bunch of uninhabited desert islands in the ocean somewhere, and it's doubly strange because there's all this evidence of past colonization efforts and both past and present human activity even way out on the fringe, yet unless you count the occasional pirate/pather base the only permanent civilized settlement outside of the Core is Sentinel.

This is a Survival horror movie With billions of people stranded in the middle of nowhere after the collapse. Starsector is the "uninhabited" desert island relatively speaking.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 05:53:07 AM »

Hyperspace is a slog.  If anything, the distance between fringe worlds is too long.  It should be more like the core worlds with systems near each other.

coldiceEVO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 08:35:27 PM »

I am fine with core world being dense. However i do find the fringe too barren, and core world with small or large market indifferentiable. It is strange to find not even bigger faction with resources and strategic planning set up any frontier outpost to support their expeditions against previously ai, and now pirates and pathers and scouting for gaming changing artifacts and habitable world, just letting uncoordinated prospector and pirates alike to prosper on lost tech and good planets. In the end i swung by pirate and LP station for all supplies, and their comm relays for missions.
There really should be trucking mission that sends supply and man to and from the fringe new colony or military station in case of piracy, while core worlds' opportunity are highly saturated and underpaid and now under terror.