Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: [UI] Starscape shouldn't be turned on by default  (Read 730 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[UI] Starscape shouldn't be turned on by default
« on: June 03, 2023, 06:01:21 AM »

Let's look at an example with it on and off:

The right image (off) has information about the slipstreams, shows fleets and shows the position of deep hyperspace. The image on the left is... pretty? Well, it shows the different nebula which can be useful when looking for a bounty but that's about it. Don't get me wrong, I like the way starscape looks but I think the information from the other diagram should be readily available to new players which may not try to experiment with the toggles from that screen.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 04:17:57 AM by Cyan Leader »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [UI] Starscape shouldn't be turned on by default
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 08:55:52 AM »

Personally, I don't feel anything of value would be lost if the starscape-on option was simply removed. Turning it off is one of the very first things I do in-game, and then I never ever turn it back on.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 09:00:42 AM »

Not to mention the constellation age could just as easily be conveyed by hyperspace changing colours. It would stop being all blue all the time, at least.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 11:21:31 AM »

I like the looks of Starscape better on than off, but what I miss most in Starscape is the lack of slipstream map.  I gets annoying toggling it on and off to see the slipstream map.  Being on by default means slipstream map is very easy to miss.

I do like seeing where the storms are while starscape is off, but the stars do not look as polished.  It would be nice if the best of both Starscape on/off were merged into a single map.

The one change Starscape needs if it stays is to show the slipstream map regardless if it is on or off.

Realm

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 12:01:52 PM »

I never bother turning it off because I vastly prefer the aesthetics of it (given I'm staring at a map 10% of the time), but I would like to be able to view slipstreams with it on.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 02:50:12 PM »

Agree, the map-variant that is default should show slipstreams.
If that is achieved via turning Starscape off by default or by adding slipstreams to the Starscape-map, I'm fine with both.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2023, 04:18:17 AM »

I'd be OK with some sort of merge as well.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2023, 04:23:05 AM »

On a similar line of thinking: make the fuel range indicators less "cover everything" and have them on by default.

Gift-of-Life

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 10:11:10 AM »

I find that seeing Nebula's on a map pointless. They don't change, move, or anything else. A player WILL move threw them, and have several ways to do so safely. Knowing where they are on a map gives a player no options.

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 11:42:12 AM »

What I'd really love to see is the intel map and the map map get merged.

On a similar line of thinking: make the fuel range indicators less "cover everything" and have them on by default.

The majority of the time something along the lines of a small orange ring around in-range stars would be plenty.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 07:21:09 PM »

Personally, I like the way the map looks better with Starscape on, but I agree with everyone else who's commented that it'd be much more useful if it also displayed detected hyperspace slipstreams.

The majority of the time something along the lines of a small orange ring around in-range stars would be plenty.
To be perfectly honest, I don't see much of a point in the fuel range overlay; if my destination is one of my colonies or in the core then I can probably get 'enough' fuel there if I need it, and I don't find heading out into the fringe to visit just one system a particularly worthwhile use of my time even for a bounty of one form or another. Furthermore, between hyperstorms, slipstreams, and the occasional hostile fleet I don't want to fight, I find that long trips through hyperspace rarely follow the ideal straight-line path at normal fuel consumption that the fuel range overlay appears to assume.

About the only thing that the fuel overlay's good for is quickly checking if I have more than enough to get back to a place where I can reliably get more, but between fuel not competing for space with other cargo and in my experience generally being fairly cheap I don't see much reason not to carry plenty of it, especially if I'm planning to leave the core, and anyways I usually find fleet endurance to be more limited in practice by supplies than by fuel.