Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (Save editing) Swapping two star systems?  (Read 278 times)

Gniwu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
(Save editing) Swapping two star systems?
« on: June 02, 2023, 11:07:22 AM »

This one goes out to our resident codewizards! 8)

In my current game, I've settled into a really cool 11-planet system with a cryosleeper on the fringes of the sector. After this miraculous discovery evolved my original colonization plan into concentrating all my assets in one place, Askonia-style, I have been doing some minor planetary edits to the save file, mostly for cosmetic reasons. This is fairly easy even for a non-coder like myself, since planetary data is stored in a compact fashion which allows wholesale swapping of celestial bodies with ones in other systems that have more preferable dimensions, etc. - It's one thing to edit resource deposits manually, but I don't feel confident messing with stuff like a world's radius or cloud cover.

Now, my question to the community is: How can I do the same thing with two star systems? Specifically, I'd like to swap the system containing Sentinel (which lies even further out, at the very corner of the map) with one of those neighboring my system, so that there is something resembling a little community even out there in the boonies. Are there any specific tags to look out for in the save file? Because I'm getting a lot of references by name to each star, but it's not clear to me whether this is referring to in-system coordinates or something on the hyperspace map, since both would contain references to stars and jump points. Do I have to swap the positions of every single jump point, or is there a central system coordinate around which the game then automatically anchors and maps out any given system?