Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The problem with ship mods...  (Read 1438 times)

Foraven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
The problem with ship mods...
« on: June 02, 2023, 04:08:53 AM »

I have been playing this game for a while and I really like to try out mods... But one thing that bother me is how most mods involving ships did not adjust their availiability (ie rarety). This result in markets and fleet composition to be flooded with modded ships (often the crappy ones) and the vanilla roster to be really hard to come by. Heck, when you have multiple ship mods installed, sometimes it can be really hard to find a ship you like, be it vanilla or not. Also, since 0.96a, no nations has access to all the generic BPs like low tech, midline and high tech, many mods did not bother to specify which vanilla faction has access to what so many of the modded ships are just availaible through blueprints or arms dealers...

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The problem with ship mods...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 05:31:16 AM »

You could fight mods with mods?

[0.96a] Stellar Networks by Jaghaimo https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20836.0 is an in-game query to search markets from a distance. You can even query for specific ship hulls.

Foraven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 02:02:30 PM »

You could fight mods with mods?

[0.96a] Stellar Networks by Jaghaimo https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20836.0 is an in-game query to search markets from a distance. You can even query for specific ship hulls.

I already use the mod. It's the way I can know that there is a problem with availability of ships once some mods are added...

Foraven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 08:10:25 AM »

I think it's a major issue, at least for me. There are a lot of cool mods that add interesting ships, but they are a mess when it comes to the market. I have spent a lot of time fixing them so I can start a new playthrough with them.

Argonaut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 08:43:52 AM »

The good news is that once you know which ships are too common for you, it's easy to go into the mod files and change availability. It would be nice to have a mod that would enable us to change this on the fly though. Maybe something with a GUI like what LunaLib does.

For now you can do into starsector/mods/"your mod"/data/world/factions/"desired faction".faction
Open the file with any text editor.
Then change the numbers under "hullFrequency" for each ship you want to change for that faction.
It might take some attempts before you're satisfied with the result. If the number is set to 1 (it can be higher) and you see the ship everywhere, in my experience you might need to go anywhere from 0.5 to 0.1 to make the ship actually rare. Just don't mess with the commas of formatting, or it will cause problems. Might want to backup the file elsewhere first.

Foraven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 05:36:22 PM »

The good news is that once you know which ships are too common for you, it's easy to go into the mod files and change availability. It would be nice to have a mod that would enable us to change this on the fly though. Maybe something with a GUI like what LunaLib does.

That would be cool to have a GUI for that.

For now you can do into starsector/mods/"your mod"/data/world/factions/"desired faction".faction
Open the file with any text editor.
Then change the numbers under "hullFrequency" for each ship you want to change for that faction.
It might take some attempts before you're satisfied with the result. If the number is set to 1 (it can be higher) and you see the ship everywhere, in my experience you might need to go anywhere from 0.5 to 0.1 to make the ship actually rare. Just don't mess with the commas of formatting, or it will cause problems. Might want to backup the file elsewhere first.

I will check that out, thanks.

Foraven

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 03:14:29 PM »

I did check the mods I am using and they all have set their hullfrequency... But as far as I can tell, that only affect what you will see in the faction fleets, not what heach of their worlds will sell. Unless I am completly mistaken, what we can see for sale in markets is affected by "tags" and "rarity" in ship_data.scv. Is there anything else that could influence it?

david33

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 02:01:15 AM »

I understand your frustration with ship mods flooding the game and making it difficult to find the vanilla ships you enjoy. It would be helpful if modders considered ship availability and provided clearer guidelines for compatibility with the game's factions. Finding a balance between modded content and the original gameplay experience is crucial for an enjoyable experience.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 02:14:18 AM »

I did check the mods I am using and they all have set their hullfrequency... But as far as I can tell, that only affect what you will see in the faction fleets, not what heach of their worlds will sell. Unless I am completly mistaken, what we can see for sale in markets is affected by "tags" and "rarity" in ship_data.scv. Is there anything else that could influence it?
Price and possibly fleet points. Only 3 vanilla ships have a rarity btw, Hyperion, Vanguard, and Tempest.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 02:38:46 PM »

Personally I like that, makes playthroughs less predictable.