Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greetings and a few questions...  (Read 3806 times)

Avarice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Greetings and a few questions...
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »

How do I pick up just one unit...just kidding.

Hello everyone, just purchased the alpha a few days ago and I'm really impressed!

I read everything I could on the main site for the future of the game, but it's kind of vague.

I was wondering if anyone has quoted everything the devs have said about the future of the game and compiled it into a digestible list...like maybe a post that's buried on here and not stickied or a certain wiki...?

If not could some of you veterans fill me in on what you know? 

I'm really hoping they capture the Privateer gameplay mixed with some Starcontrol 2. Sort of a top down X2: The Threat without all the bugs and poorly translated story. :)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings and a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »

the dev does't really like sharing until it's fairly concrete on the basis that it will get our hopes up or make someone buy the game on false pretenses, so things are going to be / stay vague until alex gets around to ironing it out.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »

If you're seeking to expand your experience, try some of the mods if you haven't already. If you want to help, then project Caelus really needs more help in terms of lore, spriting, programming, and such. There should be a thread under the Modding section.

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen (lurking here on the forums) Starfarer "should" have:
**multiple systems
**rarer capital ships
**phase ships (which I believe is going to be stealth)
**Politics 1
**Economy 1
**Changing environment 1
**conquering factions 1

will "possibly" have:
**ground battles (according to the marine's tooltip)

lore wise:
**humanity is trying to recoup their lost tech?
**aliens are possible but not probable (and if they are then not powerful)

If I messed any of that up / forgot anything just let me know!

Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but those are pretty much the only things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Edit:
1 - provided by D0vahkiin
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:37:30 PM by GankedToast »

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »

Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but those are pretty much the only things that I can think of off the top of my head.

You forgot the most important things.

Politics, economy, actual changing environment, factions conquering eachother, etc(I guess).

Avarice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

Any info is good at this point.

I'm just really excited for this game and want to eat up any information I can find.

The combat system is hands down the best I've seen in a game like this, it's so fun I can't help but imagine all the possibilities for the sandbox gameplay.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:44:03 PM »

No ground battles

Lorewise: It's more like they are trying to survive in a slowly decaying system without the ability to make new technologies
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »

No ground battles? I mean, i doubt there would be an actual dust 514 type game for it but whats to say you wont be able to click "invade planet" just as you click "board ship", and have marines assault it?

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »

No ground battles

Lorewise: It's more like they are trying to survive in a slowly decaying system without the ability to make new technologies

No ground battles? I mean, i doubt there would be an actual dust 514 type game for it but whats to say you wont be able to click "invade planet" just as you click "board ship", and have marines assault it?

And this is exactly why I have it in the "possible" section.  I have not seen a quote from Alex that says there will be no such thing as ground invasion/battles/etc. so I am going to maintain that it is possible that it might make it into the game in some form.

Avarice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »

I'd be happy with a simple display telling you the results and maybe a quick animation.

I'd also like to see orbital bombardment (enemy factories/bases) and scanning planets for artifacts (rare finds to produce valuable equipment or simply sell for a good profit.)

There are tons of simple activities that could be added with a barebones display/animation that would add a lot to the game experience imo.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »

So the problem with attacking an actual planet is that you'd need millions of doods.

Attacking a station or whatever is different though. Or even a planetary outpost. So you're right, those will probably be in there. Just not actual gameplay for the combat itself.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire