Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI should not fire reapers at frigates  (Read 329 times)

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
AI should not fire reapers at frigates
« on: May 30, 2023, 11:08:32 AM »

There's really no reason for it. The reaper will miss 999/1000 shots and if it does hit it's way overkill. They ought to save that precious ammo for at least destroyer sized targets.
TL;DR deez nuts

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: AI should not fire reapers at frigates
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 11:24:10 AM »

The AI does not fire STRIKE-tagged weapons like Reapers against frigates unless the weapon is also tagged USE_VS_FRIGATES or the ship is in exigent circumstances like being about to get blown up.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »

Frigates do get hit by Reapers from time to time.  Sometimes, my flagship!  But I have seen Reapers hit NPC frigates occasionally.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 12:18:49 PM »

That's the problem isn't it, "occasionally" (although it's more like "seldom" tbh). If I wanted to hit frigates I would use atropos. Watching a vanguard waste its 3 reapers on a frigate when it has plenty of atropos makes no sense.

The AI does not fire STRIKE-tagged weapons like Reapers against frigates unless the weapon is also tagged USE_VS_FRIGATES or the ship is in exigent circumstances like being about to get blown up.
This is also just flat out wrong. The AI happily uses reapers vs frigates despite lacking the tag. This is the primary reason I never put reapers on frigates; the AI just wastes them when dueling other frigates at the start of the battle.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 12:46:40 PM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 12:58:37 PM »

Yeah as you noticed the AMB does have the UVF tag. You don't happen to use a lot of eliminate orders? A ship on eliminate won't hold back weapons, since you're telling it to, well, not hold back.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 01:26:46 PM »

This is also just flat out wrong. The AI happily uses reapers vs frigates despite lacking the tag. This is the primary reason I never put reapers on frigates; the AI just wastes them when dueling other frigates at the start of the battle.

To clarify, this is *supposed* to be correct, but checking into it just now, there's a bug where the value for "whether it should use STRIKE weapons vs a frigate" isn't actually being checked. I've fixed this up.

There was also a Vanguard-specific bug where it would be more likely to fire torpedoes off when at high flux due to the ship having a right-click defensive system, which caused it to incorrectly assume the ship was in trouble if its flux was high. I've fixed this up as well.

Note that it will also be more willing to fire torpedoes vs frigates as the ship's hull level starts to drop - it doesn't have to be particularly low for this; both hull level and the amount of ammo remaining factor into the decision.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 03:32:11 PM »

To clarify, this is *supposed* to be correct, but checking into it just now, there's a bug where the value for "whether it should use STRIKE weapons vs a frigate" isn't actually being checked. I've fixed this up.

There was also a Vanguard-specific bug where it would be more likely to fire torpedoes off when at high flux due to the ship having a right-click defensive system, which caused it to incorrectly assume the ship was in trouble if its flux was high. I've fixed this up as well.

Note that it will also be more willing to fire torpedoes vs frigates as the ship's hull level starts to drop - it doesn't have to be particularly low for this; both hull level and the amount of ammo remaining factor into the decision.
There might be something going on with breaches that are being shot at perfectly fine shielded ships or swarmers that are just being held stubbornly. At least that's what happened when i was messing around with a venture (P)

EDIT: For some reason a LG hammerhead didn't had this issue... Maybe it had to do with the venture (P) specifically?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 07:31:18 PM by Doctorhealsgood »
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 04:15:12 PM »

I didn't consider it could be a bug, thanks for looking into it.
TL;DR deez nuts