Late game difficulty
- 20 (31.7%)
Enemy diversity
- 10 (15.9%)
Special ships
- 21 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.96a] Hyper diving - 0.0.4  (Read 7704 times)

Gabs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.96a] Hyper diving - 0.0.4
« on: May 29, 2023, 07:10:17 PM »

Summary

After finishing the main questline, and maybe having explored every system in the sector, there won't be a lot else to do.
This mod adds a repeatable "gauntlet" gamemode, accessible through the gate network, that allows you to explore an infinite number of randomly generated systems, each one linking to the next in some way.
The randomly generated system themes can range from the default fringe stars, including quest exclusive ones, to handcrafted and especially hard ones.

End game fleets recommended, but not necessary.

Being sneaky is an option.

Detailed Information

Explanation
This mod will add an item to your cargo after being activated for the first time in any save(for now).

After using this item, you'll be able to upgrade one gate of your choosing and then use that gate as an access point to the main appeal of this mod, exploration of randomly generated systems.
Currently there are 4 types of 'themes' that can be applied to the generated systems, each one with its own loot and danger.

With each gate jump, the difficulty, and possible loot, will increase. Some systems can only be generated after a given number of jumps.

You'll need to explore if you want the meatier stuff.

Current themes
  • Ruins - Are generated with one of the following: Cryosleeper, mothership, mining/research stations or an interactable dockyard, so you can refit your newly acquired ships on the go
  • Remnants - The amount of enemy fleets can vary based on the current difficulty, may include more than one nexus.
  • Quest lookalikes - Quest exclusive systems - play against your favorite phase capital another time!
  • Omega - :D

[close]
Screenshots

Mote spewing entities

That thing the pathers want

Non-standard enemies
[close]

Project status

Download
v0.0.4 for Starsector 0.96

This mod is safe to add to ongoing games.
Mod incompatibilities are unlikely.

Changelog
v0.0.4 - Mod cleanup and analysis
Bugfixes
  • A form of save 'bloat' from systems could still happen. Changed star system generation to reuse already generated systems reference.
  • A minor form of save 'bloat' could originate from the gauntlet mission. Mission memory is now cleared with each new gauntlet.
Update
  • Version checker compatibility.
v0.0.3 - Adding subthemes for real now - bugfixes
  • Fixed the nullpointer exception that could happen when you save inside of a gauntlet.
  • Fixed mission descriptions being mismatched from the current depth details.
  • The gauntlet is now meant to be played in a roguelike fashion, so you can't savescum.
  • If you save inside the gauntlet, then leave the game, you'll be kicked of it when you load your save.
v0.0.2 - Adding subthemes
  • Adds subthemes to enhance variability - Ruins have custom fleets for each subtheme.
  • Adds custom gate 'guides', decide by theme.
  • Adds a dockyard that can be used to refit ships inside the gauntlet.
  • Expanded gauntlet mission tooltips to better guide the player.
  • Changed planetkiller cache to research station.
v0.0.1 - First release
  • Adds the basic procgen
  • Adds 5 system themes
  • Able to recover hulls with non-standart hullmods
[close]

Acknowledgements

Alex - For Starsector
Kentington - This is a spiritual successor, in some ways, to 'Beyond the Sector'
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 05:51:11 AM by Gabs »

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Hyper diving
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 07:18:30 PM »

Is this something like Exiled Space or the now useless Beyond The Sector?

I like the ideas set in this mod, but i gotta make sure you're not gonna repeat the same mistakes as Beyond The Sector did.

Gabs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 07:27:30 PM »

I like the ideas set in this mod, but i gotta make sure you're not gonna repeat the same mistakes as Beyond The Sector did.
Yup, its the same idea behind Beyond the Sector. I've never used Exiled Space, so I cant confirm. But if it uses gates and random systems, then yeah.

About the mistakes, I guess you mean the 'bloat' after continuous uses, right? If so, I've dealt with the issue by constantly removing past systems.
The mod should only need at most 2 extra systems that are replaced sequentially.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 07:41:53 PM »

Yup, its the same idea behind Beyond the Sector. I've never used Exiled Space, so I cant confirm. But if it uses gates and random systems, then yeah.

About the mistakes, I guess you mean the 'bloat' after continuous uses, right? If so, I've dealt with the issue by constantly removing past systems.
The mod should only need at most 2 extra systems that are replaced sequentially.

That's good to hear, and yes, Exiled Space uses the same concept of random systems, but uses it's own gate and item that provide coordinates... It's a bit janky for me to be honest but it does the job. So i'm excited to try this mod that deals with random sector, specially random themed sectors.

I hope you stick around!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 07:45:59 PM by e »

FreonRu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 02:27:35 AM »

Hello.
I'm very glad that your modification came out, I'm very glad that the Beyond the Sector receiver has appeared.
A few questions:
1 Are systems planned for research or are all randomized systems planned for battle?
2 Planned unique enemies and loot in randomized systems (available only in these systems and nowhere else)?
3 Is it planned to integrate with lunalib to "fine-tune" the modification?
4 Has the problem with the fact that being in a randomized system there are no messages from the habitable part of space been solved? (e.g. financial report, colony threat warnings, hegemony inspection warnings)
5 Are artifacts of the domain epoch planned to appear in these randomized systems?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Kelenius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »

I don't think I'm supposed to be able to find a second

Spoiler
planetkiller
[close]

in a randomly generated system.

Gabs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 04:02:45 PM »

Hello.
I'm very glad that your modification came out, I'm very glad that the Beyond the Sector receiver has appeared.
A few questions:
1 Are systems planned for research or are all randomized systems planned for battle?
2 Planned unique enemies and loot in randomized systems (available only in these systems and nowhere else)?
3 Is it planned to integrate with lunalib to "fine-tune" the modification?
4 Has the problem with the fact that being in a randomized system there are no messages from the habitable part of space been solved? (e.g. financial report, colony threat warnings, hegemony inspection warnings)
5 Are artifacts of the domain epoch planned to appear in these randomized systems?

Hey, just want to clear out that I didn't 'receive' beyond the sector, I just made my own mod to fill that niche.

Now, answering your question:
1 - I dont get what you mean by research, but most of the systems do have hostile encounters.
2 - Everything is found inside the randomized systems, there are no changes to the basic procgen.
3 - Yes! Eventually.
4 - I honestly do not know why that happened with beyond the sector, but i've yet to find any problems with those things in my mod.
5 - Yes, you can find motherships, and some systems have improved chances for 'ruins' in planets.

I don't think I'm supposed to be able to find a second

Spoiler
planetkiller
[close]

in a randomly generated system.

I guess that can be kinda wonky, right? I'll change it for something else in the next update.

SurplusDOS

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2023, 08:12:28 PM »

Many thanks for this excellent mod! Just to clarify, can colony items and blueprints can spawn in these generated sectors? If so, are they spawned at the usual suspects (planetary ruins / stations), or upon defeating the fleets present there?

Gabs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 07:06:59 PM »

Updated mod version to v0.0.2.

Many thanks for this excellent mod! Just to clarify, can colony items and blueprints can spawn in these generated sectors? If so, are they spawned at the usual suspects (planetary ruins / stations), or upon defeating the fleets present there?

Yeah, you can find them at the default locations; ruins, mining stations, research stations, etc.

Kelenius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Hyper diving - 0.0.2
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 05:53:55 AM »

I'm getting a crash. I was in the system at depth 7, saved and quit, then reloaded. When I approach the target ship, I get NullPointerException: null. When I get back to the gate, I get the same thing, and if I try to travel, the game crashes. This was happening on 0.0.1 and still happens on 0.0.2. Log attached.

Gabs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 06:19:08 AM »

I'm getting a crash. I was in the system at depth 7, saved and quit, then reloaded. When I approach the target ship, I get NullPointerException: null. When I get back to the gate, I get the same thing, and if I try to travel, the game crashes. This was happening on 0.0.1 and still happens on 0.0.2. Log attached.

Hey thanks for the report, will take a look.

KarlPh1sher

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 07:21:47 AM »

Beyond the sector has a bug that new generated systems doesn't get deleted, so slowly slowdown the game, did you manage to fix the issue or avoid it?
Edit: nvm didn't saw you reply, I'm glad you could find a workaround. This mod probably will be in all my playthroughs.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 07:25:11 AM by KarlPh1sher »

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 10:25:29 AM »

I assume it's intentional that the package you install in a gate only allows that specific gate to have this functionality, yes? If so, I think you may want to make it a bit more clear so people like me don't select that prompt at the first gate they come to without thinking about where exactly that gate is.
In my case the gate was one I use frequently in this current save, but it would be a bit irritating if I was at some random gate at the corner of the universe and installed the thing there because I'm used to how Beyond the Sector worked.

To be clear, I much prefer the way you did it. Not having to use 5000 fuel is nice, and it feels just that little bit more immersive, besides the way you handled the bloat issue (which I never ran into while using Beyond the Sector personally but damn lmao). Explicitly stating that the upgrade package will only work at the gate you install it in would be useful, though.

Fantastic Chimni

• Commander
  • Chimni
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 01:29:27 PM »

I am incredibly excited for this - been itching for more content later in the game, or the ability to explore more once I've scanned the entire sector.

Gabs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »

After some testing and crawling through different save files, I noticed that some different types of 'bloat' could still happen.  >:(
With the 0.0.4 update, this is fixed.

I assume it's intentional that the package you install in a gate only allows that specific gate to have this functionality, yes? If so, I think you may want to make it a bit more clear so people like me don't select that prompt at the first gate they come to without thinking about where exactly that gate is.
In my case the gate was one I use frequently in this current save, but it would be a bit irritating if I was at some random gate at the corner of the universe and installed the thing there because I'm used to how Beyond the Sector worked.

To be clear, I much prefer the way you did it. Not having to use 5000 fuel is nice, and it feels just that little bit more immersive, besides the way you handled the bloat issue (which I never ran into while using Beyond the Sector personally but damn lmao). Explicitly stating that the upgrade package will only work at the gate you install it in would be useful, though.

Updated the mod explanation to include that piece of info, thanks!
Pages: [1] 2