Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Takeaways from a Weirdly Long Starsector Commentary: Omnirant of a Teased Game  (Read 1341 times)

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Not really. It just never was (well maybe way back) and never will be beginner friendly. The game is just complex and has many parts you have to think about, while game knowledge is also a huge part. You can't just give someone game knowledge in a tooltip or something. Trial and error baby.

Or spend several hours reading the wiki/watching someone who knows what they're doing play.

I thought few times about making tutorials for Starsector but every time I realize that to explain X I would have to explain Y and to explain A I'd have to put it in context of B and... the whole thing quickly balloons way out of hand. A guy on YT who goes by "Hit Point Gaming" made a general tutorial for Starsector last year that turned out to be almost eleven hours long.

(Note that none of this is a complaint, it's a testament of the game's depth)

RustyCabbage

• Captain
    • View Profile

- more clarity on advancement of Galatia academy missions. I think there's a nudge to go visit the academy eventually, but it immediately flows into radiant quests from Sebastyen, with little indicator for new players that completing a certain number of those missions will advance into the At The Gates mission. Hence new players might be missing out on some key story elements. I think right from when you start receiving those radiant quests, maybe an intel item could be added to the Story tab on the intel screen indicating there's a goal behind completing the random quests.
I thought when you first meet Provost Braid she mentions that she had plans for you, but wanted to first establish a bond of trust and funnel credits so you could upgrade your fleet to her standards? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't remember that encounter leaving the impression of "here's some random jobs, but I'll never have anything more for you" at any rate.
Well, it's a common meme that players don't read. ;) And as has been noted in some of the blog posts, the game tries to accommodate for this by always having the "spam 1." option be reasonable. I don't think it'd lose anything to have a note indicating that radiant quests are only a starting point.

I think the game is complex enough so it warrants the use of your head here and there, that having the pop up "don't fly into a star" is imo needless clutter.
Most players after their first run will turn off help pop-ups, so I doubt this will affect the majority of players, while still being helpful for new ones.

Player should get all the loot from research stations and similar objects in one go.  Fleets, I can understand leaving a pile behind in case a third party killed the fleet, and player picks up the leftovers.
That's a great point. Maybe leaving salvaging for debris fields and actions committed by non-player actors is the way to go?

- Some sort of mechanism for recovering from total losses, which happens to inexperienced players relatively often. Nexerelin uses ship insurance to recoup some of the value of lost ships, and I think this is a good avenue for introducing an additional mechanic to soften the blow of player losses which are rather asymmetric compared to the infinitely generating challenges created for the player. Probably a significant amount of overhaul involved but it seems fairly reasonable?
I forgot to talk about this point. Wasn't the whole "get jumped by Pirates" problem completely solved by story points? As long as you have 1-2 story points saved, you can escape anything, unless you decided to sleep in a black hole. From the footage we often see him flying around zoomed in completely with 2x speed. It's not the game's fault when the inexperienced player doesn't pay attention. It's like me playing a first person shooter looking at the ground and moving forward, then malding when I get headshot by enemies.

EDIT: Also in every single game that allows you to save whenever you want, and then load, you'd be dumb not to take advantage of that. If you lose your fleet, it is legal to load a save. Unless he was playing in ironman...
Yeah, it's a fair enough work around in most cases (unless like the video creator you forget you have active abilities and you don't sustained burn out after dodging an engagement). That said, new players probably won't know that story points are essentially unlimited either, so they might still have one of those "I'm saving points for the ultimate encounter!" moments. I don't think it's bad to ease the learning curve a bit at any rate. Experienced players aren't losing huge numbers of ships (or are typically playing Nexerelin which has ship insurance anyways), so it's hardly dumbing the game down for them. Also don't forget that the tooltip for ironman mode still indicates that it's the "intended" way to play Starsector.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile

People has issue getting the basics? I personally got it quite smoothly.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.
Pages: 1 [2]