Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Allow 'S' to function as a toggle instead of a push-and-hold.  (Read 723 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This would be quite nice for things ranging from extended trips through asteroid fields in inhabited systems (where you may not want to just turn on 'going dark' to get your persistent slow), to not getting instantly hit by asteroids or hyperspace storms when closing the map.

(Yes, one can technically hold 's' down, and then hit escape, but that requires remembering that you needed to do so when you get around to closing the map.)

Edit: For clarity, I'm not requesting a change to the default behavior, just the addition of an option to set it to toggle, similar to campaign speed up time or making turn keys strafe & ship turn to cursor.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 03:58:23 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Asarin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Allow 'S' to function as a toggle instead of a push-and-hold.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 11:26:19 PM »

Oh, I just recently found out about avoiding hyperspace storm damage while holding S and have been using it frequently, but an unfortunate side effect now that I'm doing this is I am making no progress in the new Hyperspace Topography event.  :(

I do agree that a toggle would be nice.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 07:18:30 AM »

It already is a toggle. Go dark.
TL;DR deez nuts

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 08:14:49 AM »

Which works fine if and only if you're in a situation where you can turn your transponder off. As I mentioned in my original post.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 08:20:57 AM »

Which works fine if and only if you're in a situation where you can turn your transponder off. As I mentioned in my original post.

Dang, ya got me. I didn't read. It's pretty rare that would need to go slow for that long with transponder on. That being said, one way to do it would be to change "go dark" to "go slow" and you get the stealth bonus anytime you go slow while the transponder is off.
TL;DR deez nuts

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 01:47:27 PM »

Transponder aside, that can actually make you go slower than necessary when you're flying a big fleet through rough terrain and have the sensors skill. You need sustained burn to hit the speed that would actually be considered slow.

Realm

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 05:24:58 PM »

I've found it rather annoying at the times where holding S doesn't change my speed whatsoever (7 with, 7 without) but I still need to do it to avoid getting hit by storms. A toggle would be nice.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 07:39:02 AM »

I've found it rather annoying at the times where holding S doesn't change my speed whatsoever (7 with, 7 without) but I still need to do it to avoid getting hit by storms. A toggle would be nice.

That's actually pretty funny. Maybe the game should check if you're under the "slow speed" threshold even when you're not holding S.
TL;DR deez nuts

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 07:55:45 AM »

That's actually pretty funny. Maybe the game should check if you're under the "slow speed" threshold even when you're not holding S.
I'm pretty sure it does, I've had times where my fleet was slowed to 7 by terrain and it could just coast through storms.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 08:03:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure it does, I've had times where my fleet was slowed to 7 by terrain and it could just coast through storms.
Even if it does, you still need something to enforce the slow, otherwise you'll get hit by a storm the instant you hit the border of a hyperspace cloud and start to speed up.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »

(7 with, 7 without)

Sometimes 7 > 7 because sometimes 7 is really 7.01.

Best solution is probably for Go Slow to go off of displayed speeds instead of real speed.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 08:22:11 AM »

No, burn speeds are integer.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 08:44:30 AM »

Ships may use integers, but fleets use floats. From FleetDataAPI:

Code: java
	/**
* Maximum burn level of fastest ship in the fleet. Includes getStats().getFleetwideMaxBurnMod().
* Does NOT include mothballed ships.
* @return
*/
float getMaxBurnLevel();

/**
* Maximum burn level of slowest ship in the fleet. Includes getStats().getFleetwideMaxBurnMod()
* @return
*/
float getMinBurnLevel();

/**
* Effective burn level this fleet can go at; includes effect of being in deep hyperspace (where getMinBurnLevel() does not).
* @return
*/
float getBurnLevel();

Gift-of-Life

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 12:51:53 PM »

Would a Shift + Mouse wheel use to controlling fleet speed be a fix for this? even possable?