Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Insulated engines s-mod bonus is pretty neat  (Read 1887 times)

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Insulated engines s-mod bonus is pretty neat
« on: May 27, 2023, 02:11:13 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

So with sustained burn and transponder on I still have a larger sensor range than sensor profile. Granted, it does require the sensors skill and +100 from hi-res sensors, but damn.
TL;DR deez nuts

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Insulated engines s-mod bonus is pretty neat
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 04:19:08 PM »

kinda regretting s-modding solar shielding instead of insulated on my logi ships not gonna lie
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 04:15:54 AM »

I'm getting absolutely addicted to s-mod insulation. Having a 12-ship fleet with >400 sensor profile while sustain burning is just incredible. (Sidenote, this has also been a indirect buff to the Revenant and if being stealthy is a thing for you, they're way more attractive now!)

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 08:38:13 AM »

I'm getting absolutely addicted to s-mod insulation. Having a 12-ship fleet with >400 sensor profile while sustain burning is just incredible. (Sidenote, this has also been a indirect buff to the Revenant and if being stealthy is a thing for you, they're way more attractive now!)

Two revenants and a Doom could get you that low before with Phase Fleet.   The real fun is loading up in Mules and slapping on safety overrides so you can effectively flee fights.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 10:48:08 AM »

I don't think I care about stealth by the point I have enough SP to waste them on logistic ships.

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 10:24:31 AM »

https://i.imgur.com/A7V9tHA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Bup2rIz.jpg

These are my standard logistics craft for .96a.  In my first .96a playthrough, when I had to hack the Hegemony relay, I decided to test out the new S-Mod options instead of doing like I usually do, putting my "real" fleet in storage at Asharu and taking a couple of phase frigates and a Revenant out to do the job.  This is obviously not as effective as building a true "stealth" fleet, but I was still able to get away with hacking the relay unseen.  Once I've surveyed most of the planets in the Sector, I will swap out Surveying Equipment for Expanded Cargo Holds or whatever.  I don't even need the Advanced Turret Gyros, I just put them in there to use up the spare OP.

With a standard fleet of cruisers and destroyers plus these two quiet big boys for my fuel and cargo needs, my fleet signature is barely larger than my detection radius.  With these S-Mods, the Prometheus and Atlas have a sensor signature of 30 each, equal to the starter Wolf, and the burn speed to keep up with my destroyers and light carriers.  Even with the sensor penalty from not having Militarized Subsystems, the High Res Sensors increases the sensor value of the whole fleet, making it a net upgrade.

I never seriously considered using S-Mods on logistic ships before .96a, but this build makes it well worth the 4 SP invested when I can take a normal fleet built for combat, and dance and dodge and hide like Sekiro with a jetpack.  "Oh no, they've flown into a small cloud!  We'll never catch them now!  Might as well give up and return to patrol."  I can only imagine if you built a true stealth fleet with S-Modded Insulated Engines on phase ships, you wouldn't even need to hide behind a tiny asteroid or wisp of gas, you can probably Go Dark and hide in plain sight like Solid Snake in a cardboard box.

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 01:06:37 PM »

slap smod insulated on ox tugs, bring 5

Antichrist Hater

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 04:47:01 AM »

I think with the added +10% hull integrity and +200% engine durability this s-mod is a must have for all your capitals, if not your whole fleet!

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 08:23:28 AM »

Atlas with S-modded IEA has sensor profile of a frigate, which means it makes every single other hauler in the game obsolete.

I dunno how I feel about that.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 08:30:06 AM »

It costs story points that give 0% bonus xp that can’t go to a combat ship. Reverent is similarly stealthy and doesn’t need story points if you’re willing to pay more money and use more fleet spots.  I personally love the ability to invest in a logistic ship to get something special. I’m really liking building in expanded cargo/fuel stores and insulated engines and then adding regular augmented DF and survey equipment on my two atlases and one Prometheus. Base Speed 8 with lots storage, low profile and -120 to surveys is really good and worth the investment. Especially since with the +3 to hyperspace speed (+ navigation) means that burn speed 8 still lets you go burn 20 for long journeys so no need to build in augmented DF. It’s worth the 6SP investment.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 08:36:58 AM by BaBosa »

landryraccoon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 11:10:50 AM »

I think the balance is fine. These are logistics ships! If you're spending an S-mod with 0% XP payback on a logistics hullmod it better be awesome, otherwise what's the point?

I really like the S-mod bonuses to logistics ships. It creates real decisions when deciding on your support ships, something that was lacking before.

Freefall357

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 01:40:37 PM »

I don't think I care about stealth by the point I have enough SP to waste them on logistic ships.

I mean...cargo and fuel Build-ins are nice because less slots wasted on logi is great, then you can put sensors or salvage on them and get those benefits from what is usually a waste of space. As for the stealth, yeah, I tend to try and keep lighter on my sig, but if I have to hide there is going dark or just depositing my big stuff somewhere and going in super light...so I get you there.