Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carrier skills suggestion again  (Read 825 times)

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Carrier skills suggestion again
« on: May 27, 2023, 01:21:33 PM »

One problem that the carrier skills have is that their diminishing returns are determined by the number of fighter bays meaning that if you ever decide to use a ship like a vanilla venture or a shepherd that have built in fighters that you might not be interested in buffing you will end up effectively wasting a ''slot'' that might had been used on a carrier with fighters you might be interested to buff BUT there is also the issue that if you were to make it so built in fighters don't count then things like the tempest might suffer for it.
So here is my suggestion: Just be able to choose what carriers you want to be affected by skills

How? Well, my idea was for the skills to each have some skill exclusive hullmod like neural link does so you can put them only on the carriers you want without any waste. Or maybe you want a carrier affected by only one of the skills but not the other? You could do that too.
The only issue i see currently with the idea is that Carriers are already OP starved things and if these hullmods exert even more stress to them it will be another Neural Link case. I mean Expanded Deck Crew far as i know is seldom used already.
Maybe you could make the hullmods just cost 0 but i dunno...

What do you guys think?
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Carrier skills suggestion again
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 01:32:13 PM »

Being able to designate which carriers get the skill bonuses would be really nice and neural link does already set a precedent for this. I would suggest making the hullmods cost a small amount of OP (like 2/4/6/10) but in exchange increase either the softcap or the skill effect.

Hell, you could do both: raise the softcap to 10 and let players s-mod the hullmods with the s-mod bonus raising the effect of an officer from x1.5 to x2.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 01:39:34 PM by BigBrainEnergy »
TL;DR deez nuts

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 04:30:43 PM »

0-cost is fine.
If you need non-0 hullmod to benefit, then skill's effect must be balanced around that OP on top of skill point itself as opportunity cost.
If you need non-0 hullmod to skip, ships with built-in drones are still slightly debuffed by having to pay that tax.

PsychoThruster

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 07:26:50 AM »

Why not just make it apply to the first 8 bays on the fleet page and let players sort the ships accordingly?

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 07:43:50 AM »

Why not just make it apply to the first 8 bays on the fleet page and let players sort the ships accordingly?
That would turn the soft cap into a hard cap making it effectively a nerf though.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 09:26:44 AM »

I would prefer Neural Link not to use hullmods, but I cannot think of a better way to mark ships.  Neural Link as-is should not even be a skill, let alone capstone, just gated by hullmods.  (Just use Neural Integration for all ships for a non-skill version of Neural Link.)  The OP tax on two ships (including the flagship) hurts too much.  Same thing about any OP cost is too much for Converted Fighter Bay on Tempest or Venture, who do not have OP to spare.  (It is silly on Tempest, pay OP to weaken combat power?  No thanks!  Then again, NPC Tempest wastes the drones, so maybe not.  Still not worth the OP tax.)

As for Expanded Deck Crew, it does not do enough for its cost.  Previously, the bonuses were two-and-a-half times more than it is now, and that was too good.  Now, the OP cost (which has not changed) is too high for the measly bonuses (compared to the carrier skills) the hullmod gives.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 09:31:15 AM by Megas »