Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about Mods  (Read 4366 times)

Sanguinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Question about Mods
« on: May 11, 2012, 12:18:38 AM »

This isnt a question about any particular mod, just asking WHEN is a good time to put some on? I know that activating a mod when you just start is bad, because it gets overwhelming. But, how far into the game/ how comfortable should i be before i put a mod on? Right now im running 2 eagle cruisers and 2 enforcers with a few frigates tossed in for seasoning.

So should i put on a few mods now, or wait until ive gotten higher in... Fleet power? Dunno how you measure the power of a fleet :P
Thanks guys!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Mods
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »

well... most mods need a new game anyway so as long as u think ur ready....

EDIT: bottom line keep ur save and deactivate the mod if u get overwhelmed...
mmm.... tartiflette

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 12:39:37 AM »

To expand on what gunnyfreak said, I'm pretty sure that the gen files (the starting point for making spawn locations etc) are only read when a new game starts, so I don't think any mod will pick up in the middle of a saved game.

You can always start in dev mode and give yourself 50k credits to play around with, or edit the starting save file.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:04:52 AM »

I started using mods, after I had the feeling that I had accomplished most of what I could in the regular game. You should know how most of the weapons work and perhaps have some favorites. If you kill Hegemony System Defense you're definately at that point. It is just good, to know if you'Re playing a mod, if something is added by the mod, or in the vanilla game.

Still, as most posters pointed out. You can always go back, because you will have to make a new save for the mod anyway. Don't delete the old one!

Sanguinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 03:47:38 AM »

Sweet, thanks guys. Well, i can camp the pirate base indefinitely because none of their fleets can kill mine. Still have to test camping tri-tachyon planet, because ive had it in the past where they had a smaller fleet than mine and they can still destroy me.

Will make a new game for Mods later-ish. thanks for the responses.

Sanguinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »

Sorry for posting double here, just wanna get some ideas on what mods would be nice to install. I know most people suggest the gun-runners mod, but what others would be a good addition to my game?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 05:18:30 AM »

Sorry for posting double here, just wanna get some ideas on what mods would be nice to install. I know most people suggest the gun-runners mod, but what others would be a good addition to my game?

Depends on. Do you want vanilla balanced or not?  If you do, then the Interstellar Federation presents a great addition, and Uomoz corvus aswell.

If you don't then The TimCORP mod presents some very real challenges to you. 
Also the IDF mod is just pure overkill, if you like that kind of stuff ;)

Sanguinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:39:01 AM »

Yea, i do prefer vanilla balanced thanks ^^.
On a side note, the interstellar federation doesnt seem really balanced. One of their spawned fleets completely roflstomped the hedgemony defense fleet. Although i havent fought them much, so this could be a chance thing.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:49:52 AM »

I recommend my own mod in shameless self promotion: Strawberry! Balanced for vanilla! Of course it only has 3 ships at the moment (2 more ready to go, just making another for an even 6). And no campaign integration. And... Maybe I shouldn't be promoting this yet :P

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 11:48:40 AM »

To be honest any kind of compilation will be pretty overwhelming. Uomoz's Corvus has 8 new factions, and I seriously doubt all of them are balanced. I'd just go through the mod list and find something you think looks cool.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »

Omega's Minimash will flood your game with so many new ships, you probably won't know what to do with yourself. First time I did, I took my frigate off to do glorious battle with a Scarab, only to discover that it's a mobile weapons platform with an Autopulse Laser. Got wasted, being unable to get into range to do damage. Then I bought myself some Scarabs and found out they only use ballistic weaponry, the Autopulse Scarab being a variant on that. So much sadface. I love energy weapons, because so long as I don't go crazy with the flux usage, I have unlimited ammunition, which is awesome for drawn out fights. Then again, many of the ballistic weapons are quite nice, but have such low ammo that taking on more than a couple ships is just not going to happen, I'll run out of ammo before I kill them all. So I just go crazy with energy ships.