Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: ship variant sugestions.  (Read 3735 times)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
ship variant sugestions.
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »

was thinking about some of the ships in the game now and the "balanced" default load outs of them. and thought.. what makes them balanced when some have a lot of missiles and not many other types of weapons or vise versa with the other weapon types. and that got me to thinking. what if we had ships, the same ships that we already have mind you, with different (weapon type) slot configurations.

so your odyssey that we have now is very energy efficient and mostly energy weapons.. but maybe an odyssey Mk2 that was more centered around ballistic weapons or a Mk3 around missile tech.. and maybe a Mk4 that uses a few universal slots.

this would give us more ships to play with that are also official to the game and dont require mods.

also i thought this could fit into the lore with people not knowing how things are really built anymore or specifically what they were built for in the first place only knowing that this ship has lots of guns and stuff... etc.

that the earth forces of old could have developed multiple types of each ship for different purposes... i would say that perhaps these ship variants if you will could be exceedingly rare in the game due to people you know throwing there blue prints into deep space and burying them in there backyards so nefarious sorts would not get there hands on them.

also while i made the argument with the odyssey i would say take your favorite ship and replace that with odyssey. see how it feels for you.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: ship variant sugestions.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »

What makes them balanced is that they aren't specialized. It's not assault or PD, it's a little of everything.

So taking a ship and swapping out the hardpoints just seems silly to me. (shrug)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Vensalir

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »

Like the idea, tho I think no ship should have more than two or three. Example :

Dominator-class cruiser

Mod A: Standard loadout

Mod B: All-Big-Guns approach; only two med slots and four smalls but with an extra large turret or large forward mount

Mod C: Anti-pirate version; since pirates rarely operate anything larger than a destroyer, this variant would be less armoured but faster and more manouvreable, and forego the large mounts for extra missile slots or guns.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »

Arwan, I'm with you on this one. I totally want ships that have varying slot types, even if they are the same size.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:02:58 PM »

So taking a ship and swapping out the hardpoints just seems silly to me. (shrug)

I gotta agree with this. A variant should be something pretty drastically different, with hull variation, ie, it should look different, for example, an Onslaught with a hastily installed hangar space. Or an Apogee with extra turret mounts. Or, yes, a Tempest with souped up, plus-sized engines. Sort of like the difference between a Starbridge and a Mod Starbridge in EV Nova.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:19:15 PM »

to me a variant is the same ship with different abilities.. once you start changing the silhouette drastically to me its no longer the same ship

Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:03:44 PM »

I would say there are considerable silhouette differences between the STOVL and CV variants, but that's besides the point. I just think it would be more interesting some external differences. Hell, an external fuel tank, something small like that.

More of a difference between a C-130 and an AC-130 than between the variants of the F-35.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »

Yeah I'd support that. Something akin to the buffalo and buffalo2, just not as drastic.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire