Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ammo Depot  (Read 9959 times)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
Ammo Depot
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »

I realize that Starfarer is to be an actual sandbox, open universe, so I'm not too sure how relevant missions are to become - however, I thought of a new capture point that hasn't been included in any of the maps so far.

Ammo Depots would re-arm any nearby friendly ships once captured which, as you can imagine, could become quite useful over longer battles.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Ammo Depot
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »

They would probably have to have a reload rate by % of the max ammo capacity, with a boost to ones with higher ammo capacity - this way you can't simply camp out by one and launch pilum and torpedos all day: but you can get some ammo for you flak cannons and such.

Mavolio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »

You could make it so you cant just sit on it all day by having it so you cant use shields while you are being resupplied (takes a certain amount of time to stop supplies and raise shields) so that you are at risk of a bomber run if you aren't careful.

eg side A has 80 of ammo 1 side B has 20 of ammo 1 (100 in total) ammo depot has 10 of ammo 1 that either side can take.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »

What if instead of being a fixed objective this was a specialized ship type?

Call it a munitions ship, have it send some little drones to refit torpedoes and missiles and shells to ships within a certain radius, give it a limited number of munitions points so you couldn't totally cheese it. This could let those useless freighters do something fun in combat and make it important to kill those that belong to the enemy and protect your own.

Plus, when they get offed they could go out with a huge bang :)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »

What if instead of being a fixed objective this was a specialized ship type?

Call it a munitions ship, have it send some little drones to refit torpedoes and missiles and shells to ships within a certain radius, give it a limited number of munitions points so you couldn't totally cheese it. This could let those useless freighters do something fun in combat and make it important to kill those that belong to the enemy and protect your own.

Plus, when they get offed they could go out with a huge bang :)

Excellent ;D And big explosions are always welcome, if not encouraged.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »

Hmm... I do like that - perhaps it could be rolled into the functionality of the already-sort-of-planned (by dint of David going ahead with the graphics) repair ships.

One thing I'd like to do is keep all the objectives to something you might reasonably expect to find scattered about in space. Ammo depots are a fine idea, but seem to be pushing that test a bit :) I mean, it's not the kind of thing you just leave sitting around for whoever happens to find it to make use of.

It'd be just fine in missions, since those can be about very specific locales, but if you think of these as being on any random battlefield, it makes less sense.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »

I see there are repair drones and a construction rig, which I presume is an objective that can repair your ships?

I think that yes, the repair stations (which are likely just your standard civilian installations as opposed to military ammo depots) could definitely work under that, and depots could be restricted to missions, while otherwise you'd just have support frighters.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »

The rig is actually a ship. You can see the small engine nozzles if you look rather closely.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 01:36:56 PM »

Ah, so it was a ship afterall.

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »

One thing I'd like to do is keep all the objectives to something you might reasonably expect to find scattered about in space. Ammo depots are a fine idea, but seem to be pushing that test a bit :) I mean, it's not the kind of thing you just leave sitting around for whoever happens to find it to make use of.

It'd be just fine in missions, since those can be about very specific locales, but if you think of these as being on any random battlefield, it makes less sense.

The Battlestar Galactica (2003 version) pilot had an ammo depot in the middle of some freaky nebula.  So why can't we :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:07:27 PM »

The Battlestar Galactica (2003 version) pilot had an ammo depot in the middle of some freaky nebula.  So why can't we :)

Sure, that seems all well and good at first, but look how the series ended up! I blame that ammo depot.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »

The Battlestar Galactica (2003 version) pilot had an ammo depot in the middle of some freaky nebula.  So why can't we :)

That was a military installation that was hidden in a nebula. If it weren't for the war, they probably would have been confronted by patrol vessels. At any rate, something I definitely hope is in the game, but not something ideal for your average area of civilian space.

Sure, that seems all well and good at first, but look how the series ended up! I blame that ammo depot.

It wasn't all bad. The worst parts IMO were the continuity problems and questions all surrounding Starbuck. I mean, her ship blew up in a gas giant. How the hell did it end up on another planet with her body inside?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:54:33 PM by Blips »

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »

Maybe we could have some sort of autonomous civilian element in the game that sets these sensors and depots up where they can profit from the violence between the factional militaries.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"