Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for specific mod.  (Read 1472 times)

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for specific mod.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 11:34:08 AM »

Came here to see if I can help a confused player, ended up with pointless, months old drama. Welp.
But yeah, Tahlan's a fun mod, still worth a try regardless of whether people see the author's shitpost as "good" or "bad".

Gopsky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • My German YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 11:46:00 AM »

Came here to see if I can help a confused player, ended up with pointless, months old drama. Welp.
But yeah, Tahlan's a fun mod, still worth a try regardless of whether people see the author's shitpost as "good" or "bad".

yeah, that escalated quite quickly. oops lol

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2023, 11:59:58 AM »

For context, the 'this' I am referring to was Tahlan having "added malware" in its change log. I make no claims about whether or not there actually was malware added, but I do not trust the mod after that point.

I don't believe Tahlan ever contained malware, I thought it was a "joke" referring to Nia's "stealth-nerfs".

Personally I've stayed clear of Tahlan ever since then. Deliberately, and secretively, nerfing other peoples mods because you have a personal issue with them is not cool. We're not here to police other peoples mods, if someone doesn't like a mod they don't have to use it, they shouldn't set about ruining the experience for other people.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 12:03:30 PM by Great Wound »

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 12:12:55 PM »

For context, the 'this' I am referring to was Tahlan having "added malware" in its change log. I make no claims about whether or not there actually was malware added, but I do not trust the mod after that point.

I don't believe Tahlan ever contained malware, I thought it was a "joke" referring to Nia's "stealth-nerfs".

Personally I've stayed clear of Tahlan ever since then. Deliberately, and secretively, nerfing other peoples mods because you have a personal issue with them is not cool. We're not here to police other peoples mods, if someone doesn't like a mod they don't have to use it, they shouldn't set about ruining the experience for other people.

Out of curiosity, what were the stealth nerfs that were applied? I don't use Tahlan shi*works because i'd rather use actually GOOD mods.

Gopsky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • My German YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 12:16:50 PM »

Out of curiosity, what were the stealth nerfs that were applied?

+1 ???

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 12:29:22 PM »

Out of curiosity, what were the stealth nerfs that were applied? I don't use Tahlan shi*works because i'd rather use actually GOOD mods.

I remember the SuperWeapons mod was one of them, it did something ridiculous like reducing their power by 90%. Apparently the weapons in the mod all about overpowered weapons were too powerful :o

The actual factions, I'd have to check but iirc it was about 3 or 4 different factions.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 12:36:05 PM »

I remember the SuperWeapons mod was one of them, it did something ridiculous like reducing their power by 90%. Apparently the weapons in the mod all about overpowered weapons were too powerful :o

The actual factions, I'd have to check but iirc it was about 3 or 4 different factions.

How typical of them... Thanks for the info.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2023, 05:49:09 PM »

The nerfs also didn't do anything except in the specific case of fighting Legio Infernalis daemons (using a damage listener). No modifications were made to the base stats or behaviors of other mods.

I was of the opinion that the concept is bad game design and told Nia as much at the time, but there is simply no way to characterize this as malware; even 'policing other people's mods' is a stretch.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2023, 05:57:51 PM »

The nerfs also didn't do anything except in the specific case of fighting Legio Infernalis daemons (using a damage listener). No modifications were made to the base stats or behaviors of other mods.

I'm gonna guess this is the "stealth" part of the so called "stealth nerfs".

there is simply no way to characterize this as malware; even 'policing other people's mods' is a stretch.

Sounds more like malpractice rather than malware.

Lappers

• Lieutenant
  • Professional vegetable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 06:31:12 PM »

even 'policing other people's mods' is a stretch.

Yeah, I would assume it was more a case of Nia going to great lengths to make Legio an absurdly annoying faction to fight, as they're meant to be a sort of insanely difficult final boss faction, though how well the concept was executed (or how well it even can be executed in a traditional sense in a game like Starsector) is another topic entirely.

Certainly not a great game design choice, but at the same time I'd argue not as big a deal as people seem to make it out to be. To be clear, this claim does not extend necessarily to the issue of the joke patch note.

Man, drama exhausts me, but here I am still. I really need to start ignoring this thread. Who knew a single mod could be this polarizing?

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2023, 07:27:31 PM »

Who knew a single mod could be this polarizing?

Wouldn't be the first time and will not be the last time.
Pages: 1 [2]