Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.96a] Wow Portraits - Look fancy in space  (Read 37231 times)

Foxy

• Commander
  • About me: I make simple mods ^__^
    • View Profile
[0.96a] Wow Portraits - Look fancy in space
« on: May 22, 2023, 12:17:36 PM »

Download Me

Download Affinity Raw File

Note: Can be open in Photoshop and Photopea.com

Side effects may include: Happiness, Joy, Ecstasy and a desire to have FUN

Ok, so it's not that WoW (World of Warcraft) kind of Portraits, but hear me out. This Mod aims to replace the Vanilla portraits and add some extra, to make the game feel more SciFi. As a Disclaimer: These portraits have been generated with Easy Stable Difussion, but trust me it was no easy task. Check the Video bellow if you want to see the beauty of how it works:

Yes, I know.. I have become a Panda now. I just use animal companions as aliases for privacy reasons .. in case you were wondering!

Also, HELP wanted: In case you are a coder who has the time to help me with simple code stuff that I have no clue how to do, I will forever be your best mental friend!

Design Philosophy:

Spoiler
Independents:

They are considered the be the general population of the galactic cluster. This faction is composed usually by citizens who take on a life of trading, exploring, salvaging and even smuggling. They have a more diverse look across the pallet. Of course, they are also mingled with more nuanced, yet a smaller sub-faction that has dedicated fleets for Bounty Hunting and Mercenaries, that act as hit and flee units that protect various trade routes and other independents. In small numbers they are easily disposed, but if they congregate (though rare) they become a force not recommended to be trifled with.

Hegemony:

They consider themselves as the mighty military backbone of the commonwealth (at least what is left of the former Domain of Man empire anyway). They rule with fierce diligence and take on the role of enforcing "their" Laws, making sure to suppress all the smaller faction into submitting to their swift and brutal inspections, that usually end up filling the pockets of their corrupt officials. Empire business as usual.

Sindrian Diktat:

Even though they are a small splinter cell from the Hegemony, they stand strong and rule with an iron fist. They are mostly composed from a younger generations of warriors and this leads them to take a more flexible approach when dealing with the Hegemony Laws. They also do not shy away from dealing with the Pirates for various imports and exports. even though the rule over a small domain, they have a market monopoly over the fuel industry which makes them sustain their status among the bigger league factions.

Persean League:

They stand against the way Hegemony is imposing their Law and strive to overcome them one day. They are of Persian decent and favor honor and culture over military authoritarianism. They also have ties with the Sindrian Diktat, as both factions strive for a secret alliance against the Hegemony.

Tri-Tachyon:

Now this is a faction that would fill countless libraries with all the technological information they posses and develop. They are a somewhat obscure faction that seldomly appeal to unconventional tactics in achieving their scopes. Their command structure is also somewhat fractured in smaller cabal sub-factions that "cooperate" between themselves rather than work as an entire politico-sociological body. Their mindset is oriented towards a corporate behavior and they are constantly looking to stay ahead of the "competition" by any means necessary. They pay heavily for anyone that brings them unique and rare technology and they love incorporating this technology to enhance themselves via implants in the hopes of ascending to an absolute shadow power. There is a big fear in most of the other factions that Tri-Tachion is playing with fire and that they might reignite a 3rd AI War that will ultimately led to everyone's demise.

The Pirates:

They follow no imperial rules and are also separated within dynastic families that have a long and bloody feud with the Hegemony. They will plunder and loot whomever they see as a vulnerable target. Even though their forces are laughable at best, when it comes to raising a sector, they will band together and suppress their foes with sheer voluminous numbers and devious fugitive hit-and-run tactics.

The Lud:

They are and odd bunch. They consider themselves as the true descendants of Humans and they oppose anything that is too technological advanced. Even though they have a rather bulky technological armada, their systems suffer heavily due to poor maintenance and severe lack of technical routines. They are separated between 2 main factions that follow separate approaches on how they wish to eradicate technology from the Empire in order to bring humanity on the "correct Path", and they truly despise the Tri-Tachion. Even the Pirates stay far away from them since it drives shivers up their mentally-deranged spines in fear of being captured by these Lunatics. It is rumored that there are a lot of unorthodox experimenting happening within the Lud society and they sure do love their "recreational drugs" that they use in excess, making their ocular organs start glowing and ultimately lead them to a slow and certain insane state of their mind. It is also rumored that their Messiah is actually an AI entity, but little is know about this fact as their culture and historical records are shrouded in mystery.

AI remnants and derelicts:

This is a faction that is truly fascinating and horrific at the same time. Even though they do not have any feelings towards humanity, their corrupted protocols set them into a new quest to make the galactic systems a harmonic technological perfection. Very little information is officially know about their true existence, due to the previous AI wars that reduced the former Domain of Man to a shadow of itself, after the extreme atrocities (from both man and AI) that took place in the past. They were initially deployed to expand the Domain of Man by terraforming and preparing various system-planets to be colonized, but something unexpected happen eventually and an insatiable technological power was born in their protocols that made them turned upon their creators. There are 3 main classes of AI: Red - which compose the vast majority of the lower end units. They were the industrial backbone that set up various and tedious jobs that humans no longer wished to do themselves. Yellow - more akin to social oriented tasks that would improve humanity's existence. Blue - developed for military purposes to make sure that they protected the expanding AI armada from anything and anyone that would like to interfere with their base protocols. And finally we discovered The Omega, which is an unique and terrifying AI. While the previous 3 mentioned AI units have holographic human-like interfaces, the Omega is composed from specialized nano-organic-polymer that make their existence a true threat if they would start to mass replicate and rise as a new species to dominate the Universe. Little is yet know about them and their existence, but for the moment it seems that they a very small but extremely hazardous minority group out there.
[close]

FAQ:

Spoiler
Q: How long did it take to make all of these?
A: 3-4 Weeks. it is very time consuming, but I shall add all the specs I used for Diffusion to help anyone that wants to take on a similar challenge.

Q: Are these images copyright protected?
A: No and I shall add the Raw images for you guys to play (soon).

Q: Why are there independent portraits mixed in the other factions?
A: Because the game sets it this way by default. I do not posses the coding knowledge on how to separate this, hence why I only replaced the default images and added a few on top of the standard ones. I am open for collaboration with anyone that loves to code and can lend me a hand to do these fixes.

Q: Are there any unique player portrait, so I can avoid playing as a clone of any random NPC?
A: Yes, I added around 20ish and they are set to display at the end, although the game mixes the order a bit and i have no clue how to fix that. Preview:

Q: There are lots of AI portraits yet only the first 3 are being used. Why is that!?
A: Good question. To be honest, I have no freaking clue. I suppose it is hardcoded somewhere. For now they are just hanging in there, maybe the devs will change the way this works on a later update. I am not a coder, so I can only do limited edits. Preview:

Q: Is this mod save compatible?
A: Yes. Whenever you need to update, simply overwrite the Mod folder and everything will be groovy.

I ran out of imaginary questions to add.. ^_^
[close]

Stable Diffusion Settings:

Spoiler

Step 1. Get Easy Stable Diffusion

Step 2. Used similar Prompts for consistency, ex.:

"A digital painting of a space mercenary woman, black background, artstation, soft eyes, extremely detailed face, stunningly beautiful, highly detailed, sharp focus, radiant light rays, cinematic lighting, colorful, volumetric light"

Step 3. Browse for on of the in-game portraits in order for diffusion to have as a reference.

Step 4. Play with the sliders, although keep in mind that each modification takes a lot of time to tweak the way you desire it.

Step 5. Have fun and don't forget to smile! ^_^

[close]

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:15:41 AM by Foxy »

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a-RC10] Wow Portraits -> Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 01:37:56 AM »

->
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 03:30:06 AM by Foxy »

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a-RC10] Wow Portraits -> Coming Soon
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 07:42:41 AM »

Here is a snappy preview of what I have been busy with. I think this is a bit better to present what I do for you guys and the future of man kind <3

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a-RC10] Wow Portraits
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 09:32:18 AM »

The Mod is live... get it while it's hot. More info to be added in the description these days. For now enjoy the fruits of the gods!

If you encounter any issues, please leave a comment here and I shall ponder over it when I get a chance!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:59:17 AM by Foxy »

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Wow Portraits - Look fancy in space
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 07:57:23 AM »

Made a few small visual updates on the post and added the diffusion guide. Enjoy!

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 03:13:23 AM »

Extension Pack 1 Update:

New Portraits for the Independent faction to flash them out a bit. Although this faction is peppered throughout the other faction's portraits, because at the end of the day they are citizens and traders, I have also made some extra ones that will only show up on Independent planets and fleets. As time will go on, I shall try to infuse more custom ones to make the factions stand out better with each encounter.

To update, simply overwrite the mod folder. It is save compatible, so you will have no issues!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:16:14 AM by Foxy »

Blacknsilver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 04:14:21 AM »

Wow, very impressive quality and quantity of portraits!

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 04:20:49 AM »

Wow, very impressive quality and quantity of portraits!
Thank you. I do wish to expand it even further so there would be more variety. Sadly, the way the game is set up, it make a lot of portraits repeat. The independent portraits for example are reused in other factions as well. For now I have not found a way around that. Great to see that this mod is bringing some positive vibes to the community. ^_^

hermes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 11:27:53 PM »

When trying to extract the archive I'm getting an error claiming that the archive is bad. I tried downloading it in multiple browsers and had the same issue. I then tried downloading one of your other mods as an experiment and got the same issue. Can anyone else confirm they're having the same issue?

n3xuiz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 12:17:54 AM »

@hermes i just tested it and was able to extract with no issues using 7zip 21.07...

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 02:29:28 AM »

When trying to extract the archive I'm getting an error claiming that the archive is bad. I tried downloading it in multiple browsers and had the same issue. I then tried downloading one of your other mods as an experiment and got the same issue. Can anyone else confirm they're having the same issue?
I archived them using winrar, but any extractor should work fine. If the issue persists, try using this online tool to extract the files: https://extract.me/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 02:31:34 AM by Foxy »

hermes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 03:14:08 PM »

Thanks @n3xuiz for the 7zip suggestion that worked. I was using winrar, like you Foxy, and it wasn't working to extract the archives! I probably should have checked whether my version was up-to-date (spoiler: it's over a decade old!). Looking at the Winrar page I'm reminded of why I'm using the old version: I'm too cheap to pay for the new version :). Time to uninstall and just use 7zip going forwards apparently.

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 03:53:44 PM »

Thanks @n3xuiz for the 7zip suggestion that worked. I was using winrar, like you Foxy, and it wasn't working to extract the archives! I probably should have checked whether my version was up-to-date (spoiler: it's over a decade old!). Looking at the Winrar page I'm reminded of why I'm using the old version: I'm too cheap to pay for the new version :) . Time to uninstall and just use 7zip going forwards apparently.
Hehe, glad you sorted it out. Stay awesome, cheers!

pgamesfood

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »

hi foxy, there are cool images here,
thanks for making some videos about how you made them - as someone who is interested in dabbling with graphics, but cant make much on my own lol, im sure it will help. (for some of my rimworld mods like rimside recycling, ive just been asking to use other people gfx which i then modify, rotate and recolour etc - even reused a smurf lol in a pirate hat :) (one day i'll be able to make a starsector mod too)

in your post above you were asking for help, and after seeing your video about using stable diffusion, maybe this "idea" can help you indirectly? (like you could use your stable contacts to bounce the idea around and then someone might be able to actually make it work like that :)

the idea was this:

"
if there is an addon for stable diffusion that lets you give it a small drawing of a shape, for it to make some images for you (along with text inputs etc)
then why not this idea:

you give it a promt image (picture or hand drawn doodle etc)
then when it generates somethings and you find one you like
a new plugin lets you have 3 "brushes" that you can use to "highlight/circle" areas on the image it gave you, as follows:

1) MUST KEEP this area
2) MUST CHANGE this area
3) MUST LOSE this area

then, the ai simply recreates a new batch of image/s, with your choices/rules in mind.
so anything part of the creation that you liked, it will Keep, such as a head/helmet area in 1)
anything you generally accepted in locations marked as 2) are kept (but changed into something else), eg maybe you liked having an object on the shoulder pads but wanted a diffeent verion of pads.
and then for 3) anything you didnt want to be part of the forground/character etc, it would remove and blend it into the background etc. (such as it added a shoulder bag)

i think having these simple designations for different (and multiple) areas of a picture, will help users quickly highlight things they want, dont want, and things they want variations for ;)

"
my best fleet so far :) rag tag fugitive forty k fleet :)
https://postimg.cc/gallery/DTzHfDp
88x Dmods but still fighting :)

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2024, 10:56:28 PM »

hi foxy, there are cool images here,
thanks for making some videos about how you made them - as someone who is interested in dabbling with graphics, but cant make much on my own lol, im sure it will help. (for some of my rimworld mods like rimside recycling, ive just been asking to use other people gfx which i then modify, rotate and recolour etc - even reused a smurf lol in a pirate hat :) (one day i'll be able to make a starsector mod too)

in your post above you were asking for help, and after seeing your video about using stable diffusion, maybe this "idea" can help you indirectly? (like you could use your stable contacts to bounce the idea around and then someone might be able to actually make it work like that :)

the idea was this:

"
if there is an addon for stable diffusion that lets you give it a small drawing of a shape, for it to make some images for you (along with text inputs etc)
then why not this idea:

you give it a promt image (picture or hand drawn doodle etc)
then when it generates somethings and you find one you like
a new plugin lets you have 3 "brushes" that you can use to "highlight/circle" areas on the image it gave you, as follows:

1) MUST KEEP this area
2) MUST CHANGE this area
3) MUST LOSE this area

then, the ai simply recreates a new batch of image/s, with your choices/rules in mind.
so anything part of the creation that you liked, it will Keep, such as a head/helmet area in 1)
anything you generally accepted in locations marked as 2) are kept (but changed into something else), eg maybe you liked having an object on the shoulder pads but wanted a diffeent verion of pads.
and then for 3) anything you didnt want to be part of the forground/character etc, it would remove and blend it into the background etc. (such as it added a shoulder bag)

i think having these simple designations for different (and multiple) areas of a picture, will help users quickly highlight things they want, dont want, and things they want variations for ;)

"
Hehe, thank you super much for your enthusiastic reply. I do find it enlightening, through I am a digital painter and I mainly use AI for prototyping or doing voluminous renders that would take too much time to do by hand.
Stay awesome!
Pages: [1] 2