Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Another Pegasus balance opinion  (Read 487 times)

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
Another Pegasus balance opinion
« on: May 21, 2023, 01:41:14 PM »

Personally I feel like no matter what, Fast Missile Racks on the Pegasus will always be imbalanced. Even if it went to 70 DP you might still be able to argue its worth the cost. FMR + even 2 large missiles is extremely powerful, it just doesn't seem like FMR as-is can be made to work with that much firepower.

I think a solution is to give Pegasus a much weaker version of FMR. That would preserve the cool novelty of a 'missile dumping' battleship with the 4 larges and a way to occasionally 'pop off' even more, without resorting to making it painful to fly by nerfing other stats. The in-universe justification, if any is needed, could be that the 4 large slots require a much heavier duty system that's more limited in repeat capability compared to say the one on a Condor.

I've trialed a version of FMR with 1 charge, 30 second charge regen and 60% flux/use. The reduced charges means only 8 large missile slot's worth of ordnance can be brought to bear at once without a high level skill (Systems Expertise), the tripled regen time means it can't dump out another 8 large salvo without giving the target a chance to get some breathing room, and the 60% flux/use makes it actually dangerous to do a missile dump while being pressured and Systems Expertise characters need to be in a really secure position to dump 12 large missile slot's worth of firepower at once. Keeping it with one charge means (from what I can tell) both Missile Specialization and Systems Expertise offer a similar power boost but in different ways. Seems to work well with the existing FMR AI as well.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 01:57:24 PM by PreConceptor »

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Another Pegasus balance opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 02:29:41 PM »

Imbalanced when piloted by the player or also the AI? If it is just the player you're worried about then that's not necessarily a bad thing. I do think it should have 60DP though as it's about as powerful as the Paragon, radiant and Invictus.

PreConceptor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 02:48:23 PM »

I think in AI hands its worth the 50, even with a nerfed system as they can use it well enough. In player hands it still slightly overperforms even with no skills and a nerfed system. But some more care needs to be taken to use it at the right time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 02:55:54 PM by PreConceptor »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 12:30:19 AM »

This was written when the hotfix was only a day old, maybe wait a bit more. Pegasus is certainly more killable now, and I'm not sure if AI controlled is worth 60 DP. It tends to overkill targets or just waste them on weak ships so it feels rather fine.
Please don't take me too seriously.