Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Map UI suggestions  (Read 408 times)

Gift-of-Life

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Map UI suggestions
« on: May 19, 2023, 06:34:07 PM »

Hi!

My suggestion is this. Please allow, in options through Keybindings or settings, the ability to swap Left and Right mouse button's functions while in the map.
I ask this because all direct movement is left click. I find it very odd to have right click while in map doing this function.
If there is a mod or something that's easy to do. I would love to changes this.

Making an edit(5/30/23) to to this suggestion for the Hyperspace, Star system, Intel, and "Planets" maps. QOL topics listed below for version 0.96a.

1. Allow players the ability to swap LMB and RMB functions for all maps.

2. With current mouse button functions in all maps. Give LMB first priority to "Lay in course," and secondary [if explored] to "Go to System map". Remove "show system info".
    [If mouse buttons are swapped. RMB only priority is [if explored] to "Go to System map".]

3. Add a "Gates" search tab to Hyperspace map after the completion of "At the Gates" quest.

4. Give navigation priority to Gates over Jump-points while laying in course.
    [give gates similar functionality as jump-points]

5. In "Planets" page, add a secondary map the shows selected planet in "Star system" map.
    [this provides players with relevant location in both Hyperspace and Star system]
    [When I refer to "Star System" I'm speaking of the top-down view that shows asteroids and such]

6. In "Planets" page, Show only the selected planet name in Hyperspace map.
    [removes text clutter of other planets from same system]

7. In "Planets" page, Remove all player inter-actionable functions from Hyperspace, and Star System maps.
    [functions to only supply relevant location]

8. (edit 6/1/23)
    After Hacking a Comm Station, allow the Hyperspace map to update system markets in Overlay.
   Example: Planet - Faction - Hacked
   [when I say Overlay. I'm speaking of hovering over a planet with my cursor]

I know many of my suggestions here may not flow well with others opinions, but I appreciate your time for reading this. If anyone can help apply my suggestions In any way possible, I would be very grateful.

I will also like the say I don't know how to code, but I love the edit, change, or cheat by digging under the hood.  WOW! The changes to the settings.json file are amazing.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 10:34:48 AM by Gift-of-Life »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Map options suggestion
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 08:08:37 PM »

(Just FYI, you can left-click -> Lay in course for most map movement; the only time you *have* to use right-click is when it's onto empty space. Also: hi!)

Gift-of-Life

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Map options suggestion
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 11:21:44 AM »

(Just FYI, you can left-click -> Lay in course for most map movement; the only time you *have* to use right-click is when it's onto empty space. Also: hi!)

HI!

Yes I understand that LMB brings up the system info for the planet, and allows to chart course. I wish to make this RMB because I find this screen to be optional, and an extra step within my intent to move my fleet.
As for the RMB only in empty space. I don't find it pleasant to move away from the consistent use of LMB in feet navigation until the map becomes involved.

So I ask again, if anyone knows how to changing this, I would be thankful.

Gift-of-Life

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Map UI suggestions
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 09:08:58 PM »

Updated my original suggestion.