Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Sidus Dim
The CDF
The Ferrus
The independents
The infection
The farmers
The Tholian Directive

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 188

Author Topic: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starsector will ever see. (Alpha 1)  (Read 803646 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile

Have any of you gents though of using a floating ball of energy as a energy weapon? And with that I mean as a weapon sprite.

The idea is, don't give the weapon a basic sprite, instead leave it empty or use something completely or semi transparent.
Give it energy fluctuations or something as weapon fire graphics.
The weapon is probably best placed in a ship's 'pincers' or place where it can hold something of its nature.

Something like this: (don't use this picture for anything, it ain't mine)

A home-brew beam or plasma cannon fire will probably look best as far as bullets go. Unless fun can be had with the upcomming Omen EMP ship system.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

So, a perma-weapon-like weapon for a ship?  I like the sound of the idea, but I know a bunch of people who aren't exactly thumbs-up for it.  I'm fine by it, less work for me ( ;D), but what does everyone else think of it?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TheMessiah

• Captain
  • Captain of the Sidus Dim
    • View Profile

That weapon would be awesome!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Wait, Thaago, my Neutral Revenge Fleets keep on spawning, what, every 3-5 days?  And they don't appear to go to the other edge of the map, either.  The Neutral trades do that fine, though.  Any ideas?
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile

If you write the lore right you would not even have to make it a permanent weapon (though you could in case of the ship system), you also could have multiple types of such energy weapons.

Make it either a large energy or large universal slot so that it already limits the number of weapons that can be placed.

As for the lore, say that the forces (magnetic/electro coupling/quantum conductivity) holding the energy ball weapon in place can also be used to hold the more standard weapons in place whilst also powering them or feeding them ammunition.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Wait, Thaago, my Neutral Revenge Fleets keep on spawning, what, every 3-5 days?  And they don't appear to go to the other edge of the map, either.  The Neutral trades do that fine, though.  Any ideas?

The revenge fleets spawn 10% of the time and should stick around the target for 30 days... in retrospect I think thats probably way too much :D. I'll change it to like 5 days they stick around. Should I decrease the percentage to 5%?

[EDIT] Changes are made, and mercenary fleets only hang around for 10 days now. All the changes are in NSpawnPoint.java - modified on the DB.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:08:03 PM by Thaago »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

OK, thanks!  Much better now. ;D

KriiEiter

• Commander
    • View Profile

A home-brew beam or plasma cannon fire will probably look best as far as bullets go. Unless fun can be had with the upcomming Omen EMP ship system.

Are those engines turning with the ship?  :o

You can do that?

Please tell me how immediately! 

And on the topic, that sounds really cool actually.  It would be cool if you could code a weapon to arc between multiple targets too....
"If it aint broke, don't fix it."

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Are those engines turning with the ship?  :o

You can do that?

Please tell me how immediately! 

And on the topic, that sounds really cool actually.  It would be cool if you could code a weapon to arc between multiple targets too....

Pic is from Battleship Forever... aka another game.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

So people, how's it going for your fleets? :D

James Sullivan

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Well I'm enjoying the current demo a lot more now. Still haven't bought any ships yet but we are all struggling in this economic climate.

But yeah the smaller pirate frigate is nice fodder and am I imagining things or is the larger one now lacking a shield

Oh and as for the music I recognize the menu but can't remember where its from but the campaign theme loops abit too much due to being quite a short track and I find it to generally be too exciting compared to the vanilla track that in my personal opinion sets a better atmosphere.

So far this is a pretty great TC and I'm looking forward to spending a long time playing it as it grows with the main game. In fact Starfarer is probably my most played game this year...

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

Well, I decided to rebalance the pirate ships and removed all shields, because they could easily take down a high tech destroyer with shields, which was quite OP, but now they feel more like they should. :D

Also, the Tholian Directive is the next faction on the list to enter the fray, they'll have a small planet, isolated from the other planets, but they'll mostly have trading fleets :D

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile

Well, I decided to rebalance the pirate ships and removed all shields, because they could easily take down a high tech destroyer with shields, which was quite OP, but now they feel more like they should. :D

Also, the Tholian Directive is the next faction on the list to enter the fray, they'll have a small planet, isolated from the other planets, but they'll mostly have trading fleets :D
can the independed fleets be added?
now the only independed ships added to the demo is the ship you get at the start :P
and I kinda still want a independed station (the bar where they hang out and) where the independeds buy there ships.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

Oh right, they're also gonna be added (soonTM :)) but I'll post an internal only for dev team demo when I finish adding those two factions in, so everyone has a say :D
Need to finish TD ships, though.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile

Looking good, btw guys, a quick note about the campaign, i found that a big problem with it is that pirate ships dont get and better, they are just 1 ship flying around, every now and then you see a fighter squadron tagging along but thats it as far as i can see. They need to have some more variety in terms of fleet production. Such as randomly having a destroyer and 2 frigates pop out every now and then
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 188