Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Sidus Dim
The CDF
The Ferrus
The independents
The infection
The farmers
The Tholian Directive

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 188

Author Topic: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starsector will ever see. (Alpha 1)  (Read 803522 times)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starfarer will ever see.
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »

I need someone to take a look at my submissions in the submissions thread, and run them through some kind of post-processing to give them some depth. Preferrably something easily reproducible. I'm starting to get the hang of the ship maker, and I like the potential.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: CAELUS ,the biggest project starfarer will ever see.
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2012, 01:38:35 AM »

@medikohl: If you're seriously going to submit all those sprites for the mod, don't you think there are some implications? For instance, a lot of these already belong to other mods. I think you ought to figure out which ones on your own, since when you made them, you said "anyone can use these." But I don't think people want to see duplicate ships in this mod. Further, I feel you should then go back to your Spiral Arms thread, and take down the sprites from there, so folks know they're taken. Otherwise we're going to end up with multiple mods re-using the same ships 2-3 times over.

Agreed.  But since i've seen his lightning-fast spriting, i have no dobut he can makes an entire faction - out of just the onslaught!
So i have no doubt whatsoever that he can make us completley original ships from scratch.

Also, how is the BSF editor coming along? :D
from scratch? well now, there are some doubts right here. mainly i don't have a drawing tablet. so from scratch is something that isn't happening for a while.

I was actully referring to from *scratch* as your way to kitbash them.  They'll look original original as ever, and I'm pretty Damn Sure you can do a fine work. There are some factions in the idea thread so you can always check those out and do some ships accordingly with your mad kitbashing styles :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »

I need someone to take a look at my submissions in the submissions thread, and run them through some kind of post-processing to give them some depth. Preferrably something easily reproducible. I'm starting to get the hang of the ship maker, and I like the potential.

I am pretty Sure psiyon could do such a thing, if he wants to team up ;)

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2012, 06:40:14 AM »

lore and general info over the Independent faction is in the idea thread! (also new sprites hopefully this eve)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »

Nice, I liked the lore!
Will there be a base star system to begin with?  Like, there doesn't have to be 2-3 different systems, just a simple one.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »

Alright, some update for the classification of the ships:

There's a scale called the Watson scale (after It's inventor Charles Watson) which measures how powerful a ship is in the scale of 1-10.
(The name is fictional, I came up with it and the scale)

So, for example, the onslaught would be a Class 5 battleship.
The Aurora would be a Class 8 cruiser.
The paragon would be a Class 7 Battleship.

The scale measures everything on a ship. Effectiveness, speed, weapons, turning rate, and gives OT a rating out of all things put together.

Do you like it? :D

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

i really liek it, buuuut, its needs working out, but i say yes

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »

There's a scale called the Watson scale (after It's inventor Charles Watson) which measures how powerful a ship is in the scale of 1-10.

The scale measures everything on a ship. Effectiveness, speed, weapons, turning rate, and gives OT a rating out of all things put together.

What is your formula and how do you know it works? Or are you just using that ship balancer?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »

What is your formula and how do you know it works? Or are you just using that ship balancer?

I actully just took these classifications out of th top of my head.  If someone would write me such an classification scale I'd be a happy pand, but as of such, there doesn't exist one.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »

It sounds a bit subjective to me.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

I actully just took these classifications out of th top of my head.  If someone would write me such an classification scale I'd be a happy pand, but as of such, there doesn't exist one.
Probably because its not possible, Starfarer's gameplay and ship performance simply isn't two dimensional so a simple number will never really work.

The closest proximate of ship power is their size category; Fighter-wing, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Capital. You don't have to add any numbers to that, the game already forces you to put them in these categories.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »

Probably because its not possible, Starfarer's gameplay and ship performance simply isn't two dimensional so a simple number will never really work.

The closest proximate of ship power is their size category; Fighter-wing, Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Capital. You don't have to add any numbers to that, the game already forces you to put them in these categories.

Well, i invented this scale to measure the ship classes themselves, not just have an classification on them like battleship or Cruiser.  The scale measures the ships overall combat capability and gives them a rating based on everything about the ship.  That way, you can find what better suits your play-style.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »

I really don't know why, but this SCP (there's a thread for it in the discussions section) inspired me in some weird way.  http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-076
I got inspired to do something like SCP-076-2.  Would something like that suit this mod?  (I mean shi-wise, ofcourse :D)

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

short answer: no

long answer: OHW PLEASE GOD DONT DO THAT TO US PLEAAAAAAAASE, I JUST WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME WITHOUT GETTING SCARED SHITLESS

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »

Well, meh.  Not so much.  Seems too much like a zombie, therefore going into SPAZ. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 188