Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Buying Story Points for Credits?  (Read 1637 times)

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
Buying Story Points for Credits?
« on: May 18, 2023, 08:49:02 AM »

So after a while you cant really do much with Credits. I was thinking there would be an option to spend lets say at least 1 mill credits to buy 1 SP. Would this just devalue SP? Maybe slightly? Would it increase the value of Credits? I think so. So some crazy people could spend lets say 8m Credits to buy 8 SP which they could dump into the 3rd improvement for their precious colony.

I think this could also help with "talent respec". Which could be done much more easily and ofc would cost still a fortune. I think this would be a good thing.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 08:50:59 AM by KopiG »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Story Points for Credits?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 08:51:22 AM »

I was just thinking there should be an alternate late game source of SP. Simply buying it is a little pedestrian, though.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 08:52:59 AM »

I think we need a big money sink, like reeeaaal biiiiiig, that doesn't really do much. Spend money to set up your scholarship in Galatia Academy maybe? Might as well get story points from that.

EDIT: I remember the option to talk about setting up a scholarship when first meeting Provost Baird, but it doesn't lead to anything.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 08:57:49 AM by Fenrir »
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 08:54:30 AM »

I would not mind that, or even some SP uses changed to use credits instead, or at least credits being another direct payment type accepted, to cut down on the mundane spam in the History tag.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 08:56:06 AM by Megas »

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 08:55:14 AM »

I dont like the current "farm Ordo fleets for exp" endlessly if you want SP. I think we need another option yes.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 09:48:11 AM »

I would not mind that, or even some SP uses changed to use credits instead, or at least credits being another direct payment type accepted, to cut down on the mundane spam in the History tag.
Could be a questline to obtain the ability to pay credits instead of SP in certain situations. I'd like that
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

PsychoThruster

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 12:40:34 PM »

I don't think they should be awarded from experience directly, simply come in a slow drip every few months automatically. Coming faster when you have none and slower when you have a stockpile. They're supposed to represent moments of exceptional ingenuity, cleverness, skill, luck, etc. It makes sense from a narrative perspective for our intrepid hero to do pull off such feats sporadically, but as is often the case I find myself with 15 or more and my character waltzes through my colony knowing exactly how to optimize every industry, graces my chief engineer with brilliant plans on how to push our best ships to their absolute limit and perform beyond our wildest expectations, and then gets on comms to charm politicians. What a day!

If prefer they come in over time to encourage using them, and to prevent grinding later in the game. Colony SP improvements could simply allow you to put one point in at a time until you get the required amount for the improvement.

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 03:38:01 AM »

What about endgame-flavourish missions which cost millions say 3 million up too a 100 million or require insane fleet power or industry output or certain high relationships or you have to exchange colony items or even sell or rent out an industry or a colony of a certain size or type for a time?

A source of such opportunities could be random encounters on the campaign map with certain fleets/prospectors in the core or outside, or maybe contacts including faction leaders or peeps from bars or people on ruined planets or rescued cryopod survivors with offers to search for innovations which give SP or other, partly similar benefits. Other outcomes of such a search could yield a unique ship or unique structure or a unique blueprint. Maybe we even get a sniff of some ancient domain tech or [ultra redacted] stuff <-> also L O R E.

Maybe salvage could have a tiny chance to find a damaged data chip which contains such a quest or "random coordinates" for SP or ships or unique tech or glory. Heck, the black market could occasionally have offers like contracts or forbidden data chips in stock. Say a data chip contains something about experimental pulse laser development and the facility is somewhere in X constellation, another chip or contact has the info about the facility location near a gas giant and there you have your SP or weapon or whatever.

Well, my idea is not only about SP but also about the possibility to find unique ships, maybe with unique ship systems or based on a whole different doctrine and design philosophy, yeah, maybe the whole design is just completely different from what we have in the sector and plays like an alien nightmare despite being of domain making. Maybe the armaments of such a ship are unique or can be removed from the ship or the ship systems are quirky or need creativity to become effective. Maybe the found ship or a unique structure can be more specialized or slightly stronger...

VictorNickel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 07:58:14 AM »

This version feels like a next step. Having a grand fun. Fully expect to see a Starsector 3D with Wing Commander-style battles before 2030

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 07:08:31 AM »

This version feels like a next step. Having a grand fun. Fully expect to see a Starsector 3D with Wing Commander-style battles before 2030
Before 2030? I would gladly say before 3020 lol.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2023, 12:11:53 PM »

An alternative to buying story points, is to be able to buy some of the things you can use story points for.

For instance buying s-mods and colony improvements directly (with appropriate costs obviously) would massively reduce the pressure to grind story points in late game. If it was sufficiently expensive, and maybe required some colony structures or even items, I think it could be reasonably balanced.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 06:09:53 PM »

Maybe not directly buying story points with credits but adding the option to use credits instead of storypoints would be a nice thing to have. I love how you have the option to give Kanta a million credits instead of a story point and I wish this gets implemented more especially with Expeditions.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 12:56:47 PM »

My biggest issue is with colonies. Improving ONLY two buildings cost 2+4 Story Points which is a huge investment. I think there is way too much pressure on Story Points. I understand you're not meant to improve every single building in your colony but at the mid/end stages I dont even have 2 SP to improve ONE.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2023, 03:46:42 PM »

My biggest issue is with colonies. Improving ONLY two buildings cost 2+4 Story Points which is a huge investment. I think there is way too much pressure on Story Points. I understand you're not meant to improve every single building in your colony but at the mid/end stages I dont even have 2 SP to improve ONE.
Other hogs:
* Historian selling colony items for the same 2^n SP.
* Creating more stable points (up to two in a system) for 5 SP each (and requires other items to do it).

I do not think about buying colony items from historian.  (I will gladly buy the Legion XIV blueprint, though.)  There was one other seed I considered using for having somewhat better planets than in my current game, but it would have required creating stable points, meaning I would need to find an alpha core then spend ten story points for comm and (maybe) sensor relays in one system.

TheLaughingDead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2023, 04:00:33 PM »

Other hogs:
* Historian selling colony items for the same 2^n SP.
* Creating more stable points (up to two in a system) for 5 SP each (and requires other items to do it).

I do not think about buying colony items from historian.  (I will gladly buy the Legion XIV blueprint, though.)  There was one other seed I considered using for having somewhat better planets than in my current game, but it would have required creating stable points, meaning I would need to find an alpha core then spend ten story points for comm and (maybe) sensor relays in one system.
It would be awesome if instead of using exponentially more story points to buy further blueprint/colony item locations, each tip would remain at one story point and instead there were more involved missions in acquiring the item/more involved defenses guarding the item. Like running into a competing scavenger is really cool, but imagine if they already had the blueprint and you had to intercept them and bribe/trick/fight them before they sold it off (and if they sold it off then a different quest to retrieve it would occur, or maybe the pirates would automatically learn it and now they are a little bit trickier). Or tail them back to their boss and acquire multiple blueprints! Or pay a story point for the opportunity to do the Historian a favour, like help an old friend of theirs in a tough spot, in return for a tip. Or better yet, the Historian had their own questline that would eventually lead to their being in your employ or something of the like. Even just the Historian willing to pay you extra if you brought them a particularly rare item would be interesting.