Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Be your own faction and merchant!  (Read 5616 times)

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
Be your own faction and merchant!
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »

Here's an idea. What if you could buy or make your own HQ and get your own supplies through trade. Mind you in sandbox pirates are always raiding so you would have to equip your ships/fleets to deal with it. The base would accrue money based on the inventory sold. It'd be a nice way to make money. Essentially....Be your own faction.

Second Idea. After having said HQ. You can have a research facility that will allow you to spend money to customize weapons stats. That way you can make yourself your own unique weapons.
Wouldn't that be great?!?!  ;D

These features would go great with the leveling up features that will be added to our Commanders in the future.
Spoiler

[close]

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Be your own faction and merchant!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »

i'm halfway certain that both of those features are planned already.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »

I like the unique weapons idea, but I think it would result in people creating super over-powered weapons and cheapening the game experience.

Rick

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »

Sounds like a nice idea, it would have to be prohibitively expensive though as launching a shipyard was probably one of the few technologies lost long ago along with many other things. That or instead of building one from scratch you just steal one off the other factions.

Not sure how commanding patrols to protect your station etc would work, I'm not sure if a thing would be possibly outside of your own fleet in later game versions.

As for the unique weapon aspect, this would have to be balanced carefully to not allow the player to build an ubercannon that's a basically a win button. Perhaps if you upgrade a weapon in the fire rate aspect you must reduce one of it's other stats such as damage or flux raised.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

it would have to be prohibitively expensive though as launching a shipyard was probably one of the few technologies lost long ago along with many other things

You know what? That could be part of the game's campaign story. You find remnants of the past and rediscover the means to build a shipyard.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:25:17 AM »

Isn't in game lore that all technology is degrading, slowly? There is no one to understand and improve any aspect of it. I don't think so that players would be able to produce upgraded versions of anything... You can find blueprints, and factories will produce item from that blueprints. And that's it.

Maybe I'm wrong... This lore set up reminds me on Fallout 1 and 2  (Fallout 3 isn't true Fallout  ;D)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Rick

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong... This lore set up reminds me on Fallout 1 and 2  (Fallout 3 isn't true Fallout  ;D)

Now that you say that, yeah I suppose you're right. But I'm sure there are some aspiring scientists out there bringing the old technologies back to life so maybe after a long plot story you would be able to do this? Similar to the the HQ plot in X3 Reunion, man I loved that plot.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:26 AM »

Now that you say that, yeah I suppose you're right. But I'm sure there are some aspiring scientists out there bringing the old technologies back to life so maybe after a long plot story you would be able to do this? Similar to the the HQ plot in X3 Reunion, man I loved that plot.

Maybe, but i don't think so. I think that Alex is trying to avoid any unbalances produced by players who could create weapons or ships or whatever. That's why lore is like this, limiting players to technology that only already exist or waiting to be found. Personally it's fine by me, i don't need new stuff that can be OP if there is big diversity of already balanced things with few special ones hided away.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Rick

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »

Maybe, but i don't think so. I think that Alex is trying to avoid any unbalances produced by players who could create weapons or ships or whatever. That's why lore is like this, limiting players to technology that only already exist or waiting to be found. Personally it's fine by me, i don't need new stuff that can be OP if there is big diversity of already balanced things with few special ones hided away.

However I do remember seeing somewhere that Alex said you would be able to wage your own war on a faction and take over some of the inhabited planets. However I might be taking things out of context, it was a while ago that I read this.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »

you just steal one off the other factions.

that's exactly how new stations are going to be acquired by any faction. if you look at the tri-tachyon fleets that hover around corvus II, you will see they are trying to attack the station (but cant since the code either isn't there or isn't active yet :P)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »

that's exactly how new stations are going to be acquired by any faction. if you look at the tri-tachyon fleets that hover around corvus II, you will see they are trying to attack the station (but cant since the code either isn't there or isn't active yet :P)
That doesn't mean new ones can't be built, or that stations will more often be captured than destroyed when attacked. Though i imagine it would be incredibly hard to find a blueprint for it and very expensive and time intensive to build. You might have to pay another corporation for construction or something.

maybe you could buy them from planets whenever your able to interact with them, and would have to tow them to where you wanted to stick it in orbit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:17:13 PM by Mattk50 »

Zani

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 01:55:28 AM »

On the subject of stations, perhaps if the storage facility has enough supplies in its cargo hold (15,000 - 20,000) then it will upgrade to Independant Dockyard and if you have good relations with the Independant, supply convoys will arrive for your station. Either the stuff is free but the convoy is slower and less common or you get some sort of discount to what you can buy. Maybe because the supply convoy drops off merchants who set up their own stores in the shopping area of your station and respect you. If your relationship with the independant is low... well I don't know actually, any ideas?

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:18 AM »

Well about the research weapons idea. Keep in mind this would be a great single player option that could be single player only. Otherwise in multi-player the upgrade options could be capped at some point.
Also, unique weapons could be made to be hella expensive.

They can always be offset to endgame options for balance.
Spoiler

[close]

Valiant19

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »

Well about the research weapons idea. Keep in mind this would be a great single player option that could be single player only. Otherwise in multi-player the upgrade options could be capped at some point.
Also, unique weapons could be made to be hella expensive.

They can always be offset to endgame options for balance.

Well, just to let you know, there won't be any multiplayer, at least, so the FAQ says.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

Tech isn't degrading, it's being lost. They can still maintain ships and fiddle around with them, but if they lose the last remnant of tech, it's gone. However, they are rediscovering blueprints and tech. The galaxy is a huuuge place. You'll find your own storage facility and make your own fleets soon enough
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.