Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Improving the Refit Screen  (Read 384 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Improving the Refit Screen
« on: May 16, 2023, 09:09:17 AM »

With the addition of S-mod bonuses/maluses I think there are some changes to the refitting UI that could improve the experience substantially.

The big problem related to the new s-mod system is that you cannot test the impact of s-mod bonuses/maluses without permanently committing to the s-mod (or save scumming which is a PITA). It would be great if you could undo s-mods as long as you haven't left the refit screen (or maybe as long as you haven't undocked or something).

In addition, there are now several stat modifiers which are not reflected in the refit screen stats. I know the energy weapon mastery flux cost reduction doesn't show up in the weapon flux generation stat, and I believe the effects of s-modding armored weapon mounts and expanded magazines are not shown as well. I would like to see the effect of these modifiers (and any other hidden modifiers that I cannot think of at the moment).

Along those same lines, weapon range modifiers are not shown when displaying ranges. It would be convenient if we could see the final range after modifiers have been added. Maybe show the modified range in parentheses after the base range in the weapon stat sheet you get when mousing over. Same for ammo counts. It did occur to me that this change might be more work 'under the hood' since the weapon stat UI currently does not consider any modifiers and is used elsewhere in non ship-specific contexts.

Finally, I would like to see all of the relevant bonuses/maluses for a stat in the mouse-over tool tip. So for instance if I mouse over the dissipation, it would show the base dissipation and all modifiers so I could see where my dissipation is coming from (same for weapon flux generation, capacity, speed etc.). I think that would be helpful, especially for newer players.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the Refit Screen
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:32 AM »

In addition, there are now several stat modifiers which are not reflected in the refit screen stats. I know the energy weapon mastery flux cost reduction doesn't show up in the weapon flux generation stat, and I believe the effects of s-modding armored weapon mounts and expanded magazines are not shown as well. I would like to see the effect of these modifiers (and any other hidden modifiers that I cannot think of at the moment).

Along those same lines, weapon range modifiers are not shown when displaying ranges. It would be convenient if we could see the final range after modifiers have been added. Maybe show the modified range in parentheses after the base range in the weapon stat sheet you get when mousing over. Same for ammo counts. It did occur to me that this change might be more work 'under the hood' since the weapon stat UI currently does not consider any modifiers and is used elsewhere in non ship-specific contexts.
Spooooky, I literally talked about this in the release thread.

And yeah everything you mentioned is some nice QoL food. We have ship stats changing accordingly, weapons should function the same.
Please don't take me too seriously.