Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alex Appreciation Thread  (Read 3185 times)

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alex Appreciation Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 12:47:56 AM »

Even with my criticism here and there Starsector has delivered massively. I played it 10 times more than those so called "triple A games" and delivered me 10 times more fun than those as well. So thank you Alex again for making this game. MANY MANY :-* to you Alex.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 12:53:13 AM »

Honestly i've never seen a dev this open to feedback and discussion.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 01:11:31 AM »

It's always wholesome to see a dev get bullied into reverting a change noone liked. But seriously, there doesn't exist a game where so much of my feedback and suggestions went into the actual game. Sure you can contribute that to the indie game scope and community but so many devs don't give 2 flying *** for QoL improvements and actually polishing parts that are considered "done". Though it's a fine balance between trying to appease everyone and sticking with your own plans.

It happened maybe 3-4 times where I suggested something, only to see that same thing on Twitter the exact same day.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
He was scanning the game forum!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 09:49:38 AM »

I've said it before and I will probably say it again.  In my forty-five years on this planet, I've been gaming since there was games.  My first console was the old squarebacked firetrap Atari.  In all this time, not ONE other game has grabbed my attention totally the way StarSector has.  StarSector is the game I would tell the other kids on the playground that my uncle who works at Nintendo was making.  When I used to have to stand on a bucket to reach the controls of Asteroids in the truck stop arcade, StarSector is the game I imagined that Asteroids or Sun Dog:  Frozen Legacy would one day be.  I have spent more time playing StarSector than Diablo II, Tie Fighter, or Doom II, and possibly at this point more time than all three of those combined.

When I bought StarSector, it was the Corvus system only, and combat was all there was to do.  I got my twenty bucks' worth out of that version alone, every release since then is like a free expansion pack, and the modding community is second to none, infinite free expansion packs with new content for the trouble of logging onto a forum and downloading them.

That's not enough, though.  I'm not even joking when I compare Alex to The Immortan, and I don't see myself as Mad Max in that equation, I see myself as Nux.  The notice of The Immortan is an honor beyond my ability to be honored, but he didn't just notice me.  He THANKED me.  He FIXED BUGS I POINTED OUT TO HIM.  He COMPLIMENTED MY CHARACTER NAME.  The compliment of The Immortan is an honor beyond my capacity to comprehend honor. 

https://i.imgur.com/NWnXuVv.jpg
(Just literally me IRL when I got that email yesterday)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:39:39 PM by Network Pesci »

Argonaut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2023, 05:49:04 PM »

Yeah nothing to say, Alex fulfills the ideal dev's image! In fact i have the unpopular opinion that Alex deserves to fleece the fans more. A game like Maj'eyal is so much better at taking my cash for what appears to me to be less dev time, or at least far less hours of gameplay i take it from it in return!

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2023, 07:46:54 PM »

Starsector is a nice game that despite me not playing it constantly i have been coming back again and again over the years and i will probably will keep doing it for the foreseeable future.

The updates are nice. I don't have any memory of an update that i dreaded as a whole far as i know and the current one is nice i haven't chewed on all of the new stuff but i am enjoying what i have been messing with so far.

The devs communicate and take feedback into account and that's very nice. (I know that Alex and David do stuff but i don't know if there is anyone else so just in case i want to include any hypothetical people who help too.)
I am not exactly the kind of person who crunches numbers and brings up spreadsheets to give detailed feedback unlike some of the other members of the forum but i have been heard nonetheless even if i am not sure if it has actually been actually useful for the most part and i appreciate that.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2023, 07:57:06 PM »

Thank you all again, this thread really means *a lot* to me! Much <3

(And, regarding feedback, I just want to say thank you! it's not an exaggeration to say that player feedback has made the game miles better than what it would have been otherwise, and I truly appreciate it. As Grievous pointed out, there's a balance between that and sticking to a certain vision, but there's nothing quite like feedback for finding out how the intended vision is actually landing. And then there's a lot of stuff where it's just, yeah, that's a good idea.)

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 08:17:43 AM »

You figured out what was fun about the game and leaned into it.  You haven't allowed the game to grow bloated with useless layers of complexity and monetization.  You've kept your user interface relatively clean and intuitive.  You've continued to add polish AND content with new mechanics that have real impact.  You've given your modding community space and respected that space.

In summary?  You're doing a lot right here, Alex.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2023, 08:29:43 AM »

I know this is an appreciation thread but let us stay real here, UI is not clean and intuitive. It's servicable and it works great when you're familiar with it. I've seen new players completely lost on how to do some things and on the other hand they'll outright miss a couple of features. Doesn't need to be anything flashy really, just less convoluted in some places.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 09:30:41 AM »

I've seen new players completely lost on how to do some things and on the other hand they'll outright miss a couple of features.
Such ass?
Doesn't need to be anything flashy really, just less convoluted in some places.
Simpler, as in?

It's not impossible Alex does think UI is simple and good, because he made it, so of course he knows where everything is. Pointing out things in particular is more useful.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2023, 09:33:20 AM »

See that's exactly the thing, I've seen numerous complaints and critiques on UI, but for me it's fine because I had so many years to get used to it. Only things I can suggest to Alex are some glaring flaws that I already suggested in the past. This is something that you need fresh players for, and preferably someone who knows a lot more than me about UI game design so that person can give good directions on how to make it better.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »

I've seen new players completely lost on how to do some things and on the other hand they'll outright miss a couple of features.
Such ass?
Doesn't need to be anything flashy really, just less convoluted in some places.
Simpler, as in?

It's not impossible Alex does think UI is simple and good, because he made it, so of course he knows where everything is. Pointing out things in particular is more useful.

- Improve readability of the date of a save
- Rename "Save" and "Save copy" to "Overwrite Save" and "Create new Save", to clarify what each does
- Remove the faction from the name-column in the planet-tab, and instead give it it's own column
- Change the place of the categories in the hullmod-screen and/or give them different colors like the categories in the intel screen have
- Deactivate "Starscape [1]" on the sector-map as default
(- Give modders the option to translate the UI... although I've no experience in programming and so I'm not sure, if that is a realistic option)

These are all suggestions regarding the UI I made to Alex in the past (although second last one was technically from Grievous).

These points doesn't change the fact, that I regard Starsector as a very, very good game and am impressed by Alex' work.
It just means, that there are parts of the game where in my opinion is room for improvement and the UI is one of them.

(Also some points about "giving the player more information", like the discussed additional warnings for jumppoints or some form of captains log. But that doesn't count as UI-change anymore, or does it?)

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2023, 12:59:28 PM »

The campaign ui definitely works once you learn which menu has what information and you memorize all the hotkeys but it's pretty intimidating when starting out.
TL;DR deez nuts

Tertius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2023, 12:46:12 PM »

Thanks Alex for this gem.
I just wanted to add here my quick appreciation, for all the work that has been put into this game.
Beyond everything that gets updated, and the game and it's playability "per se", i found one thing in particular that amazed me.
I really cannot remember any other game that made me feel so... i'm finding it hard to say the right word to describe it... awkwardly focused, in a nice way,  like the Shrines Pilgrimage. I never really cared about the Luddic Church, but wow, was it a good surprise.
I still haven't finished the campaign however... so i am not sure, although I just wish there was more like it.

Amazing Job. Well thought... Well written... The ambiance/music... Well implemented...
an overall 10/10

XJD

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2023, 02:54:16 PM »

David is pretty cool too! Got me to read Hyperion, which was great (atleast the first two books).
Pages: 1 [2] 3