Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DEM AI bugs  (Read 349 times)

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
DEM AI bugs
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:25:05 AM »

A couple of bugs I've noticed

- Hydra DEM launchers will autofire and the first stage missile will target ship hulks, the DEMs that pop out will then dump their beams into it. Specifically, an enemy ship will die and spawn a hulk, then the hydra autofire ai will launch it at that hulk.
- The dragonfire missile overcorrects for movement of targeted ships massively, testing vs sim hound at point blank resulted in around 6-7 out of 8 launches at point blank failing to trigger the second stage of the torpedo. I'm calling this a bug since if the dragonfire actually manages to get a lock, the missile will easily turn fast enough to keep the hound in its line of sight. An AI hammerhead can also consistently juke the dragonfire and cause it to flameout before managing to reach the second stage maybe half of the time. I think the missile AI might need to bias facing towards the target's current position instead of attempting to face the predicted location. If the behaviour is intended then the OP cost or ammo count of the dragonfire needs to be tweaked since it's just not as good as dumb fire torps in most situations.

Cheers

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: DEM AI bugs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 11:50:49 AM »

Thanks! The first one I suspect is just once the second stage acquires the ship, it'll keep firing if it's a hulk. I'm not seeing the first stage target the hulk or second stage missiles do so, either, unless they're already in the "turn to target and fire" stage.

For the Dragonfire, yeah, that makes sense - the missile guidance operates as if the missile needs to hit the target, not just get within X range. Though I'm not seeing it nearly as bad as what you're seeing; pretty much every point-blank launch vs a Hound locked on fine. Still, I'll keep that in mind!

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 04:40:02 PM »

Thanks! The first one I suspect is just once the second stage acquires the ship, it'll keep firing if it's a hulk. I'm not seeing the first stage target the hulk or second stage missiles do so, either, unless they're already in the "turn to target and fire" stage.

For the Dragonfire, yeah, that makes sense - the missile guidance operates as if the missile needs to hit the target, not just get within X range. Though I'm not seeing it nearly as bad as what you're seeing; pretty much every point-blank launch vs a Hound locked on fine. Still, I'll keep that in mind!

RE: Hydra, I didn't get a recording of it, but I watched it autofire at a ship corpse. It's possible what happened is that it was triggered by a different ship in range, but the first stage of the missile only appeared to target a hulk droneship.
RE: Dragonfire, probably just a run of bad luck, it seems wildly inconsistent

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 04:42:31 PM »

RE: Hydra, I didn't get a recording of it, but I watched it autofire at a ship corpse. It's possible what happened is that it was triggered by a different ship in range, but the first stage of the missile only appeared to target a hulk droneship.

Weird! It's the same missile AI as normal missiles at that point, so I'd assume that's probably what happened.