Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Do you like traveling long distances in the hyperspace? how do you travel?

Yes I love it, I slow at every storm or I take detours around them. I use slipstreams to go where I need.
Yes It's relaxing, I take my time and play as it's supposed to be played
Both, sometimes I feel like chilling, sometimes I just want to move
No I hate it, I just sustain burn and beeline my destination riding every storm on the way even if half my fleet gets destroyed in the process.
No, I set my course and go to the toilet or alt tab, to me it's less exciting than a loading screen.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you like traveling in the hyperspace?  (Read 2465 times)

Zaizai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Do you like traveling in the hyperspace?
« on: May 07, 2023, 04:07:35 PM »

Just wanted to know everyone's stance on this.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like traveling in the hyperspace?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 04:27:57 PM »

Your options are kind of limited and weirdly mixed.
Why is the 'I love it' answer about going slow?

I sustain burn and blast straight to the target- except for detours into storms to get the lightning boost, or slipstreams. It's fun that there's multiple ways to go faster that make it more than just a 'AFK until I'm there'.

If you don't like storms, either your fleet is waaaaay too big, or you haven't discovered how wonderful solar shielding is. :P

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 04:31:00 PM »

(And, it occurred to me from seeing another post by you- you likely didn't realize that you can push through hazards without being knocked off course by using 'Emergency Burn')

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 07:17:34 PM »

Your options are kind of limited and weirdly mixed.
Why is the 'I love it' answer about going slow?

Short answer, OP has an agenda.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 07:46:25 PM »

In the releases that introduced hyperspace, I did not like it because storms paralyzed the fleet and drained supplies like a black hole.

In the releases with redesigned storms, but before slipstreams were in, hyperspace was okay because storms made travel fast, and the CR hit was a small price to pay.

In the first release with slipstreams, my first game was luck, and slipstreams went mostly the way I wanted to go, but in every game afterward, they have been more of a roadblock that with one wrong move, the fleet gets sucked down too far and it is time for a reload.  Now, I save the game every time before I cross a slipstream, ready to reload if I botch the crossing.

After slipstreams, plus ghosts that ping your fleet and block s-burn until I ping back, traveling through hyperspace is an annoyance, not quite as bad as paralyzing black holes disguised as storms, but bad enough that I prefer to bypass it entirely.  Now, I want gates in every system I want to colonize.  The less I need to deal with hyperspace, the better.

EDIT:  There is one time I like hyperspace, and that is when interplanetary travel takes less time by t-jumping twice (into hyperspace, then back into system through a purple haze) instead of direct travel from planet to planet (or other object).  I dislike hyperspace, but I dislike wasting several days traveling inside a huge system more.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 07:51:54 PM by Megas »

Maeleth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 04:54:43 AM »

Don't love it, but also don't hate it.

If my fleet is below 100 DP and consists of cheap junkers, I'll gladly ride the storm to save a day or two of travel. Later on (as I never keep more than ~300 supplies in cargo) I'll try to avoid most clouds and only ride one if there is no better way around or I'm stuck in a huge nebula while below 16 burn.

As for the system itself, I think it's fine for now. It's eventful enough to keep you on your toes, and infuriating enough to want to avoid it (via Gates, convinient slipstreams, or learning the safest routes from A to B).

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 07:45:02 AM »

i like riding the storms and think theyre neat
but slipstreams are a chore and i hate them with burning passion
Cabbage

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 12:17:08 PM »

They are nice to ambush fleets etc, but I rather use the gates for regular travel. And I hate slipstreams.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 12:53:32 PM »

I enjoy Hyperspace in the core worlds quite a bit, especially when I'm actively hostile with a faction or two. I like ambushing trade convoys or blockading a system to sow chaos (and make profit).

Outside the core... less so. It's too uniform when exploring in deep space. I know slipstreams and distress calls are meant to help solve this but they aren't enough. Maybe if you could actually receive distress calls like a dialogue, hearing them cry for help (or lure you in). Maybe in the farthest reaches you might find a cluster of [redacted] patrolling their territory. Maybe you could create your own slipstream or alter the direction of one you find. Idk, something to make it more interactable and not something where I can just lay in a course and Alt+tab..
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 01:00:11 PM »

My only complaint is that there are way too many hyperspace storms. I don't want to turn the hyperspace into afk mode but currently it feels like god is throwing firecrackers all around.
Please don't take me too seriously.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 02:03:43 PM »

My only complaint is that there are way too many hyperspace storms. I don't want to turn the hyperspace into afk mode but currently it feels like god is throwing firecrackers all around.

I'll second this.  I would like to see the frequency toned down slightly.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 04:30:13 PM »

I'll second this.  I would like to see the frequency toned down slightly.

A slight decrease seems reasonable. But overall I'm really liking hyperspace-travel in its current state.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 04:57:20 PM »

The real problem with hyperspace storms is they absolutely will spawn in your path.  It's a bad joke, really.

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 06:05:11 PM »

The problem is this poll. Hyperspace is nothing compared to this travesty.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2023, 06:48:49 PM »

The problem is this poll. Hyperspace is nothing compared to this travesty.

Well, the results so far have a very nice normal distribution. It means, that the community is kind of divided on it, like it or not...
Pages: [1] 2 3