Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird, I was just asked to enter my StarSector key when startign the game  (Read 952 times)

rogerbacon

• Commander
    • View Profile

I've owned the game since near the beginning and I've been launching it every day for the past few months. Why would it ask for the key now? I had a Java update but that's the only thing in common with StarSector that I can think of. Luckily, I had the key.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This happens when you delete misc. Java settings. Some of the "cleaner" utilities vacuum Java settings which includes the key. Java update may do this too, apparently.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

You didn't hit Ctrl J right? That can pop up the window to reenter your key.
But if you didn't do that or use some kind of cleaner tool, then well it could also be a sign of registry or file system corruption as well.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

geezero2201

• Ensign
    • View Profile

What Schwartz said, Java had an update recently which almost certainly messed with some java related settings and files. I just experienced the same thing today. Kinda weird though because it's never happened to me before despite Java having numerous updates between now and whenever I bought the game 2-3 years ago. Noticed it also grayed out the "Continue" button the main menu which was extra scary but saves are thankfully unaffected.