Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't find a single Heavy Mauler.  (Read 1577 times)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Can't find a single Heavy Mauler.
« on: April 20, 2023, 12:56:14 AM »

Hey,

I'm at cycle 211, like 16 hours of playtime on this run, and I've never seen a single Heavy Mauler, either for sale, or mounted on a ship.

I'm beginning to think there's a bug with this run. I'm playing 100% vanilla.

Anybody encountered the same thing?

Thanks.

Edit: Well, seeing as this thread has been seen 101 times with no answer, I guess nobody had the same issue. :/

For me it's the second time this happens, and with the same weapon. Both times were vanilla runs so I really have no idea what causes it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:22:02 AM by Euphytose »

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find a single Heavy Mauler.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 09:13:17 AM »

I have had a similar "bug" but it wasn't real, just really bad luck with the RNG.  I have never had a sixteen hour run, but I've went two or three hours without finding a single Heavy Blaster or Mauler.

You say you've never seen them for sale, does that mean on the black market, or do you religiously check all the bars at all the planets you go to for illegal weapons dealers?  I have never seen two consecutive illegal weapons dealers not have Blasters or Maulers.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 09:36:12 AM »

I'll be honest with you, I didn't know you could find weapon dealers in bars. I knew you could find ship sellers, but had no idea about weapons.

I'm commissioned with Hegemony so I go to their bases and look at the standard market, military market, and black market.

If I happen to pass through an Independent base I always check there.

But so far, no luck. :/

Thanks for your reply anyways!

Edit: Just for comparison: I already have 4 Tachyon Lances for when I get my hands on a Paragon. So as you can see, I'm just being extremely unlucky with the Maulers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 10:55:31 AM by Euphytose »

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 12:56:36 PM »

Sometimes it will be the Tachyon Lances I can't find.  I assume it's like "confirmation bias" or "pattern recognition" and it's not exactly a glitch, once in a while the RNG will just decide to screw you over, "Oh Network Pesci wants Heavy Blasters for his Medusa, ha ha, we'll give you a Medusa in every black market but no Heavy Blasters EVER".  Like you lost the favor of Arengesias or Nuffle is mad at you or whatnot.  We used to call it the "Tetris Curse".

About one out of four campaigns I will notice this, you just have to break the hex.  Once you get one Heavy Mauler from one shady guy in a dark alley, it cancels the curse and since the game realizes it can't screw you anymore, now there's Heavy Maulers in every last black market.  Scientifically, intellectually, I know it's just RNG but it feels like a curse.

Now I do have to warn you if you never used the illegal weapon dealer before, they do double-charge you (not really a problem if you're buying Tachyon Lances that you might need later) and they make you wait sixty days to pick up the weapons at the storage on the planet you bought them on, plus they charge you storage fees if you don't pick them up immediately.  Also it is BARELY possible for the RNG to keep screwing you, once in a while the illegal weapons dealer is a dealer for a specific faction, so he will only have the Luddic weapons or only Hi-Tech or like that.  So if Nuffle is truly furious at you, the first illegal weapons dealer might not have your Maulers.

There's also a story event/consequence of using the illegal weapons dealer, but it's nothing all that bad.  Depending on your principles or lack thereof, it can be literally the most profitable random event in the game, at least that I've seen.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 01:41:58 PM »

As an addendum to the illegal weapons dealer, there are also legal weapons dealers! If you've got a military contact, there is a small chance that they'll offer you the ability to buy production of any weapon/ship their faction can make. (Trade contacts I'm not sure about; they probably have a similar buy production option, but I don't remember if you get to use their blueprints for it. I don't generally use trade-type contacts, so... /shrug?)

I also remember that there at least was a bug where production from a contact would be offered no more than once per contact, and I don't remember if that's been fixed, or if it's merely slated to be fixed as of next release.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Sly

• Commander
  • Afflicionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 05:01:01 PM »

If you go bananas blowing up the Exploration [REDACTED] they'll start dropping pretty regularly with the destroyer sized models and larger. Good luck with your search!

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 09:36:16 PM »

If you REALLY suspect the game is bugged, install the console commands mod and FindItem heavy_mauler which will show you all markets with the item.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 02:01:17 AM »

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I think it is indeed a confirmation bias, there are probably Heavy Maulers somewhere in my game, just out of sight for now I guess. :D

As for the console command thing, if I still don't find any in another 16 hours I guess I'll have to do it. Granted, I don't *need* them, but I just prefer them over Mortars because the range is really good.

To tell you everything, I use Heavy Maulers mostly on Enforcers: 2 HVDs, 1 Heavy Mauler, 2 Flaks, 2 Reapers, and 2 Sabots. It's my go to loadout for this ship!

But thanks again for your replies. At least I know that other players experienced that type of "shortage" before. :D

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 02:12:31 AM »

not every faction has access to every weapon mind you, might bw worth looking at the .faction files to know if a given faction even has what you want but that's a bit technical.

i'm pretty sure hegemony has access to heavy maulers, though it might be a restricted weapon, ie only available with commission

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 04:01:36 AM »

Well, apparently all I needed to do was create a thread. :D

Spoiler
[close]

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 09:54:32 AM »

Well, apparently all I needed to do was create a thread. :D

Squeaky wheel gets the grease?  ;D

keckles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 12:30:52 PM »

It's definitely odd you haven't seen them mounted on any ships yet since they aren't an especially rare weapon. Have you explored most of your sector yet? It's possible there's a blueprint out there somewhere on an abandoned station or mining platform.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 03:37:04 PM »

I had explored a bit and made 2 colonies so I stopped. But now I'm exploring again. No BP for that so far. But I'm seeing it more regularly in Hegemony market now.

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2023, 07:50:06 PM »

sometimes luck does this to you
same with officers, ive had all the officers ive wanted quick just from my first run around the core, or wound up in endgame with only like 3 officers of suitable skill/personality