Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod Idea Feasibility Question  (Read 420 times)

LatvianFryingChicken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Mod Idea Feasibility Question
« on: April 03, 2023, 01:45:30 AM »

Greetings! I am unfamiliar with modding and would like to ask about the feasibility of this mod idea in Starsector.

In a galaxy divided from the Persean sector by time and universe, a star realm has fallen to ruin of it's own making. To at last conquer their ancient foe, they damaged the fabric of reality, casting their homeworlds into ruin. Horror and death dwell in those once sacred stars, but also miracles, and the wealth and power they could bring.

This idea is more on the scale of a Paradox Total Overhaul mod. The idea is to have it be more STALKER in space, rather than Mount and Blade, that the base game is, which I think would be fun, since to me, the exploration is by far the most enjoyable part of the game.

What I am asking is, how possible is it to alter the core game map of coreworlds-rim and how much can I change the factions? And are there other possibly problematic areas?

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Idea Feasibility Question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 02:07:40 AM »

To answer your question: You can completely change the Starscape and remove any existing factions, replacing them with your own. Look at the Nexerelin Random Core Worlds mode for pointers, it's not too hard.

For my own input - you can safely ignore this:

Be aware of the following:
- This will need java code. A lot of it, and not the kind you can copy paste from other mods, either.
- You need to have artistic skills to make those ship and weapon sprites, code systems, add vfx and sounds.
- This is a total conversion idea. I'd estimate the required effort at around 1000+ hours because:
- You need to fill that galaxy to make it interesting. That means at least 3 or 4 custom factions, quest, relevant ships, weapons (unless you reuse vanilla), characters ect.

I do not wish to discourage you, just know that the best way to go about this is to find a team, pay them, and manage this as you would any other business project, because that amount of effort is not going to run off motivation and dreams alone unless you are immensely dedicated and find likeminded souls that share 100% of your vision.

If I had to do a large project like that, I'd do it like this:
Start by making a concept sheet. Write down what you want to make, how you want to make it, and most importantly why it is fun for the player and not just for you.
That concept sheet could contain:
Important:
- A baseline of your idea
- The specific gameplay implementation of each part of your planned features
- A short summary of why each feature is fun for the player

Less important:
- Technical implementation structure
- Required ressources
- Timeline

And once you are done with that (and looking at your idea, it'll probably be a 3k+ word essay), read it and really, really think on if you might want to start with making just the absolute core of that idea a reality instead of the whole thing.

I'm sure you have a specific feature in mind that is the basis of your idea and isn't quite as all encompassing as you laid it out.
That would be what I'd start with. Once you got that done, you'll know if the rest of your concept is feasible, and if you really want to do it - but you'll have created something at that point, and know what you can expect, so it'll be much, much easier to dive into modding proper.

Most importantly: Do not forget to have fun, and know that anything is possible if you are stubborn enough.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:38:11 AM by SirHartley »

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 02:33:33 AM »

For reference, attached is my technical documentation for the mod Substance.Abuse, which is a much less ambitious concept.
While the actual implementation diverged slightly from what is written in there, the core mechanics remained the same.

Any project larger than this in scope, in my humble opinion, needs to have some kind of concept document to have a chance at making it to a release.

LatvianFryingChicken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 02:50:26 AM »

Thanks a lot, this has been very helpful.

In a related question, can you make single use hull mods(as in, you can only apply it to one ship), or maybe something like, have an NPC in a dockyard that you can talk to apply the mod in trade for an item?

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 03:00:01 AM »

Your options for that are:
- Single use consumable items that apply it to a ship via hull picker [Code Heavy, Complex] (Reference Industrial Evolution Consumable Items and the VoidTech Cargo Crates for implementation)
- Application via Dialogue [Less code, not as complex] (Check https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18937 for reference)