Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Utility] SSOS - Starsector Simulation Opponent Stripper v1.1  (Read 2240 times)

SteelSirokos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[Utility] SSOS - Starsector Simulation Opponent Stripper v1.1
« on: November 08, 2022, 02:36:44 AM »

SSOS - Starsector Simulation Opponent Stripper v1.1

Download

Requires Python to Run

What is it?

SSOS is an interactive Python script that allows you to instally strip the 'sim_opponents.CSV' files from mods. These files dictate which ships show up in the Simulation's Deployment screen, and in great enough numbers can make the screen unbearably laggy. When SSOS is run, it will remove all of your modded clutter and leave you with just the vanilla roster. The tool also comes with an 'exemptions.txt' file that lets you whitelist the names of any mods you want the tool to ignore, allowing you to fine-tune exactly what your deployment screen looks like.

How does it work?

SSOS works by iterating through each one of your mods and relocating its 'sim_opponents.CSV' file to an identical backup directory located in the tool's main folder. Once the 'strip' command has been run, you will end up with a backup 'mods' folder with an identical file structure, allowing for easy cataloging and manipulation. The backups will remain in the folder indefinitely, and the tool comes with a 'revert' command that instantly moves all files back to their original locations, should you ever need it. The tool comes with a 'help' command and a 'readme.txt' that contain extra information

Why would I want it?

This tool was designed for a very specific type of individual (i.e. me) whose mod list has grown so large that opening the Deployment screen in the Simulation freezes the game for 10 seconds before tanking the frame rate to a crawl as the game does its best to display thousands of ships in one small menu. In such a scenario, you're left with a single option: sort through every single one of your mods and remove/relocate the relevant CSV file manually. SSOS was designed to automate this process while still allowing the user to retain control over what is and isn't purged.

Warning

The standard practices associated with using external tools always apply. Back up your mods folder before use, just in case.

Changelog:
Spoiler
v1.0:
    - Initial Release

v1.1
    - Fixed a crash that would occur if you tried to strip a CSV from a mod that already existed in the backups folder
    - Fixed a crash that would occur if you tried to revert changes after replacing a mod's CSV file in your main directory
[close]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 07:55:31 PM by SteelSirokos »

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Utility] SSOS - Starsector Simulation Opponent Stripper v1.0
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 04:24:36 AM »

Best mod.

SteelSirokos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [Utility] SSOS - Starsector Simulation Opponent Stripper v1.1
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 07:22:30 PM »

Just released update v1.1 which fixes two crashes that could occur under specific circumstances

Dhunt05

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Re: [Utility] SSOS - Starsector Simulation Opponent Stripper v1.1
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 11:18:22 PM »

Worked for me jesus i love you! i run 260+ mods and this is a life saver lol