Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Just Another Low Quality Weapon Tierlist  (Read 6837 times)

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
[0.95.1a] Just Another Low Quality Weapon Tierlist
« on: March 30, 2023, 10:24:29 AM »

Weird Terms
HPD, Heavy PD: Gun meant to swat either frigates, or, for capitals and some cruisers, destroyers. Generally doesn't turn fast enough to hit interceptors or missiles.
SP, Shield Popper: Does a lot of hard flux, but bounces off armor.
SR, Shield Remover: Does SP things, but also enough damage to get through armor.
AP, Armor Pierce: Big Armor Damage. Generally means the gun has terrible soft stats.
StR, Station Remover: Big range and massive DPS in exchange for basically zero soft stats.
JAV, Just Add Vents: Just, like, remove the gun and add vents. Or capacitors. Or a hullmod.
DPS: You know what it means.
BPD, Bipolar Disorder: Gun that has a damage type that runs counter to the amount of damage it deals.
ST, Stunner: Gun that does the unthinkable: optimizes itself towards not killing the target.
Soft Stats: turret turn rate, projectile speed, accuracy. Important for PD and HPD. Usability rapidly drops off with intended target size.
Good, Bad, Ugly: Good guns are good. Bad guns aren't necessarily terrible, but you're usually better off investing your resources somewhere else. Ugly guns are nearly unusable.

Ballistic
Ballistic PD tends to be optimized against swarms or frigates.
Small
Basically every gun here is optimized against frigates. Ones that aren't just kind of suck.

Good
Vulcan: PD. If you want a missile gone yesterday, this is your gun. Also does good in knife range against bare hulls.
LMG: PD, HPD, SP. Bounces off even destroyer armor, so don't expect miracles. Good gun to plug empty ballistic slots.
Railgun: HPD, SR, BPD. Not true shield pressure, because it does enough per hit to actually hurt. Best small ballistic and it isn't even close. Doesn't do everything like LMG, though.
Needler: SP. Big angry Vulcan. Uses too many resources for its frigate DPS to be HPD and doesn't pierce armor anywhere as good as RG, but it's burstier, making it a very good dedicated SP in a small slot.

Bad
Autocannon: SP. If it were accurate, I would say it's a decent pressure tool for long range. It isn't, though.
Light Assault Gun: AP. AP in a small slot. That honestly tells all you need to know.
Bomb Bay: StR. It does good damage and the slot is common, but how often do you actually need a dedicated StR?

Ugly
Light Mortar: JAV.

Medium
The slot is a bit too small for true armor-cracking. Use torpedoes.

Good
Flak: PD. Does better the more the enemy spams it, due to its AoE nature. Single flak does more damage and has better AoE, so it isn't as clear cut as people like to pretend; if you have extra medium slots, spreading your PD might be for the best.
...Pfft, "extra medium ballistic slots". As if.
HMG: PD, HPD, SP. LMG, but bigger. Does same exact things. Don't expect it to be good PD, but it's better than you think against torpedoes.
Assault Chaingun: HPD, DPS, BPD. It has a lot of DPS, but it's in explosive form, which doesn't like being in small quantities. That being said, it spews so many tiny API boolet that it just tends to overwhelm most armor anyway. Just don't expect it to actually armor-crack the same way AP guns do.
HVD: HPD, BPD. Very big RG. Turn rate is a bit slow for HPD, and DPS is actually worse, but due to its sheer range and powers of BPD, it can swat frigates out of thin air like there's no tomorrow. Not a SR due to serious DPS issues.
Heavy Mauler: AP, HPD. DPS is on the weaker side, but it has tons of range and very good soft stats, if you ignore the fire rate. Pairs well with HVD for long range pest control.
Heavy Needler: SP. Two needlers duct taped together and supercharged. If you can afford it, it can pop shields for you.

Bad
Arbalest: HPD, SR, BPD. Slow and inaccurate, costing the same as RG, but paying with soft stats for its flux efficiency.
You're better off with a specialized gun.
Thumper: DPS. Slightly more DPS than AC, very little flux usage, worst damage type in the game. Can work with a dedicated armor-cracking weapon.

Ugly
Heavy Mortar: JAV.

Large
You might have noticed that the smaller a ballistic gun is, the better it performs. It's... not inaccurate.

Good
Devastator: PD, HPD, DPS, BPD. Excels at every role it has. Removes single torpedoes, large clusters of small missiles, frigates, destroyers and cruisers from existence. Protip: its random flakking only starts from half its current range, so it loves range increases even despite being a kissing range shotgun.
Hellbore: AP. Slow. Cheap. Inaccurate. Removes armor better than some torpedoes.
Gauss: SR, BPD. Instead of getting better at being HPD, Gauss just goes all in on shield removing from across the map. Does enough damage to go through weaker armor, getting a SR designation despite being a Large gun meant to hunt same size ships. I would move it down since it's antithetical to the design of most ballistic ships, but when it shines, it shines.
Storm Needler: SP. You know how smaller needlers fire in a burst, firing off a ton of needles before needing to reload? SN is the same, except it has infinite needles. It's always bursting. Yeah.

Bad
HAG: HPD, BPD, DPS. Poor, poor HAG. It's better HPD than Deva, but you really don't want to dedicate a large slot to only HPD. It has good DPS with a decent range, but it just, only tickles shields and capital armor. And it's not even flux efficient. If you want to use it, stop thinking it's an AC (actual AC is genuinely better at AC things) and start thinking it's four railguns strapped together.
M9AC: SR, HPD. Kinetic HAG, which would make it pretty decent if it didn't have 3/4ths of its DPS. Four railguns strapped together makes for a rather unstable platform, too.
Mjolnir: HPD, DPS. It's essentially a Plasma Gun in a ballistic slot. Except PG is designed to fit into high tech ships with their big reactors and big vent networks. Good if you can afford it. Two mjolnirs are worse than two dedicated guns. Very good soft stats, though.

Ugly
Despite having so many bad guns, Large slot doesn't really have any terrible ones. You can build a ship around any Large Ballistic if you really want.
[close]
Energy
Energy PD tends to be optimized against single missiles - big turn rates and weak capacitors.
Do not compare any E weapons with B - it only ends in sadness.

Small
Full of nearly unusable glorified laser pointers.

Good
PD Laser: PD. What did you expect from that name? It does PD things so mildly adequately i wouldn't be surprised if Alex uses it as baseline PD.
Burst PD: PD. Removes a limited number of things from existence fast, then drops off. People usually say to pair it with normal PDL, which isn't inaccurate. I would suggest pairing it with vulcans, on all of zero vanilla ships that can accept such an OP combination of PD.
IR Pulse Laser: HPD, DPS. Not a laser. That being said, it's a kind of alright pulse gun.
AMB: AP, DPS, BPD. I've *** on AP in small slots before, but AMB does enough damage to count as a good torpedo. Reloads really slowly, but it has a ton of ammo by small torpedo standards.
Ironically, it's also the second best DPS small energy gun despite being burst. Tells you everything about energy weapons, doesn't it?

Bad
LRPD: PD. Trades DPS for range. Considering PDL already kind of sucks when enemy fighters and missiles don't line up nicely one by one, and AI is smart enough to burst to overwhelm PD, it just doesn't do anything existing guns, or the taclaser meme, don't do.
Tactical Laser: PD. Speaking of memes. Same DPS as PDL, but half the flux efficiency, terrible soft stats and no other niche. At least with the turn rate hullmod it's kind of decent. That being said, its ridiculously low speed "laser" beam seriously limits its effectiveness with range extensions. Use LRPD with any, at least it's actually (nearly) hitscan.
Like, seriously, what is it even actually supposed to do? Boil off paint off destroyers for easier repainting?
Ion Cannon: ST, HPD. Does LRPD damage at PD range. Damage arcs are AoE, so it stuns better than it says, though.

Ugly
Mining Laser: PD, JAV. Mining laser is just sad. High tech ships just don't have space to waste OP on 1/3rd of a PDL for only half the cost. In .96 there might be ships that have more small E slots than common sense, at 1 OP, but not at 2.

Medium
Good
Ion Pulser: SR, ST, HPD, DPS. Does a bunch of things at once, or at least until it runs out of batteries. Three ion cannons duct-taped together, supercharged and doing double damage. It's even flux efficient.
Protip: Expanded magazines.
Pulse Laser: SP, HPD, DPS. Worse than every other ME gun at their niche, but very basic and reliable and has very good soft stats.
Heavy Blaster: AP, DPS, HPD. Does good damage at a decent range really fast. You really pay for it in flux, though. Ridiculously OP-expensive.
Phase Lance: AP. Specialized knife-range energy beam doing torpedo damage. That being said, DPS isn't stellar, and it's a beam, so it bounces off shields like a ***.
Ion Beam: ST, HPD. Rapidly removes ships from the equation just via stunlocking. Doesn't do more damage than IC, and bounces uselessly off shields on its own, so don't forget to pair it with an actual gun.

Bad
Graviton Beam: SP, PD. Due to soft flux being a thing, beams are terrible at shield popping. Naturally, GB is an anti-shield beam with barely more DPS than PDL. That being said, it's very flux efficient, so if you have extra medium slots and don't want to put literally anything else into it, or even an AMB, it does PD job, like, alright. Just don't let it see armored fighters.
Mining Blaster: AP, HPD. What, you expected me to put it into Ugly tier like everyone else? Heavy Blaster is better at doing extreme DPS, and PLance is better at burst, but ML has the distinction of doing both for very cheap and it's easy to find. If you don't have a Heavy Blaster, this is a good substitute. If you do, just put it on. Technically does better against armor, but only in extreme scenarios.

Ugly
Heavy BPDL: PD. BPDL on a slower mount for more OP and worse flux efficiency. At least it has 5 charges and Alex will buff it to 6 next patch, r-right?

Large
Energy weapons are backwards from Ballistic: the bigger the slot, the better weapons get.
Good
Paladin PD: PD, HPD. Lies about its DPS - actually does 300 sustain and 1k burst against hull. Also has better swivel speed than HBPDL, of all things.
Note that i just called a (pinpoint, half energy) dual flak in a large energy slot a "good gun".
Plasma Gun: SR, DPS, HPD. Good DPS, good soft stats. Essentially, three Heavy Blasters duct taped together, except unexpectedly the duct tape was copper-plated so it has great flux efficiency, by E standards.
Autopulse Laser: SP, HPD. Another not-a-laser. Very flux efficient. True to its description, bursts things down, then runs out. At close range it essentially works as an anti-shield tach lance.
Tach Lance: AP, ST, HPD. Tach-yon! If you want to delete something from existence, this is your gun. Don't let it see any shields it doesn't go through, though.
Why is it in HPD, despite having terrible soft stats and not being any good at HPD in AI hands? Because if you can keep its sights on a frigate, it deletes it from existence right through the shield.
Six-six-six million ways to die, choose-
High Intensity Laser: AP, DPS. Good flux efficiency, but terrible turn speed. Better than tach lance at AP, but not as fun.
All Large Energy are good if you know how to cook them. Or, well, comparable.
[close]
Missiles
No size distinction, since so many missiles can be put on multiple size mounts.
TLDR: If you have a forward-facing free missile slot, add a Hammer. If it faces weirdly, add a Sabot.
Got Tiger
Missiles get an extra designation, because some missiles are just too good to be even in good tier.

Sabot: SR, ST. The shield remover missile. Flies majestically through space, like an eagle piloting a blimp, then bursts all over your shield and eats your cake once it gets into PD range. Carries enough EMP to stun weapons if you try to be smart. Short range, so be careful.
Reaper: AP. I've built ships that can take a reaper or two on armor, they just don't have any armor left afterwards. Very slow. Using four hardpoints worth of reapers and blowing yourself up with the capital death explosion is rite of passage on a Gryphon.
Hammer: AP. Smaller than reapers, but they have more reloads, they fly faster, especially with ECCM, and they're just more spammable. You just never feel bad about not hitting someone with a Hammer. You hit them with another one and the one that missed was PD distraction anyway.
Atropos: AP, HPD. Smaller than Hammer, but really fast, well-armored, and has enough tracking to actually hit frigates. Take it if you know you didn't put enough HPD, but still want to hurt bigger ships.

Good
Breach: AP. Looks weaksauce on paper, but armor-cracks like no tomorrow. Good replacement for Hammers if you really can't aim. Massive synergy with DPS guns. Just don't expect it to nuke things.
Proximity Charge Launcher: PD, HPD, DPS, StR. For when you want to utterly delete enemy fighters from existence. Has good damage and rate of fire, too. Annihilates space stations.
Hurricane: AP, HPD. Atropos doesn't really exist in large, but this is the next best thing. When used on a capital, it's 4.5k damage peppered around. When used on a frigate, it's a claw of 500 damage missiles that's very difficult to evade. Has an annoying tendency to miss against stationary targets.
Squall: SP. A squall barrage just doesn't stop. Makes the enemy choose between maxing out its flux and try taking missiles on armor and get popped by HE.

Bad
Harpoon: AP. Not as spammable as Hammer and not as easy to use as Atropos or Sabot.
Swarmer, Locust: PD, HPD. It's very spammable, there are just better things to put on missile slots. Let railguns do their thing, alright? It is a good panic button against fighters, but so is, like, actual PD.
Pilum: SP. Sure, it's mildly terrible but at least it's almost entirely free, so you can just tape down the fire button and let it do its thing.
Annihilator: JAV, DPS, BPD. Waste of a small missile slot. Does better in a medium, if you forget you just put a high explosive limited ammo Thumper into a slot better suited for fast bursty damage.

Ugly
Salamander: JAV, ST. Painful to be hit with, does nothing when you use it yourself. Sure, it's good when spammed in great quantities and-- come on, man. Spam literally any god tier missile and, instead of stopping a ship from moving, you will - oh joy - actually kill it.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 01:23:15 AM by Princess_of_Evil »
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Just Another Low Quality Weapon Tierlist
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 10:31:05 AM »

Why such hate for Mortar weapons? Also I can't wait for Alex to drop the patch on April 1st at high noon so this tier list stays relevant for two whole days :)
Please don't take me too seriously.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »

Why such hate for Mortar weapons?
Because they are weak, inaccurate, and overall worse than spending your OP on a better gun. On small you are better of with, like, anything, and medium just has a lot of good guns. A mortar-using ship would be something with very little OP, flux and no SO, and, nore importantly, a lot of medium slots.
Also I can't wait for Alex to drop the patch on April 1st at high noon so this tier list stays relevant for two whole days :)
He didn't really change much, beyond making llike four weapons better, two less OP, and adding a bunch of new ones.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 11:34:11 AM »

Because they are weak, inaccurate, and overall worse than spending your OP on a better gun. On small you are better of with, like, anything, and medium just has a lot of good guns. A mortar-using ship would be something with very little OP, flux and no SO, and, nore importantly, a lot of medium slots.
Yeah true but they're incredibly cheap and efficient. Frigates and ships that don't have medium mounts have only Light Mortars as decent HE guns. Sure you can go with missiles but if the enemy has strong PD you won't be able to punch armour.

Heavy Mortar used to be better before the Mauler rework but is still good where you don't want a 1000 range sniper. Maybe I'm biased since my low tech ships usually have Armoured Weapon Mounts but the inaccuracy has rarely been an issue for me. It won't catch speedy frigates but it doesn't need to.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 11:36:30 AM »

Some minor commentary:

Light Autocannon: This one's actually pretty accurate, and a good budget alternative to the more expensive railgun. It's the Light Dual Autocannon that's got accuracy issues - that one I just don't use.
Light Mortar: Actually really good for the niche of cheaply punching through frigate-grade armor. Admittedly, that's not a very useful niche, but I'll often use, say, a pair of these in a Lasher's hardpoints. ...If I'm using Lashers, which I'd really rather not. There are also a few mod-ships where I've used these to good effect in rear turrets as a way of punishing phase ships trying to be clever.
Vulcan: I find the vulcan to be "good" only in the sense that it's the best ballistic small PD option. Won't reliably kill salamanders, but it does a better job of PD than any of the machine gun variants.

LRPD: I generally find these to be better than the base PD laser, especially on highly mobile ships; the extra range makes a difference - and in some cases allows a ship to actually offer PD support to other nearby vessels. Burst PD is still better, though.

HIL: Just as a note, here, the Tachyon Lance actually has a higher armor penetration than the HIL; it's got a 'hit strength' of 750 versus the HIL's 500. If you can afford the TL's higher OP cost, it's pretty much just flat-out better.

Annihilator Pod: This thing's basically a flux-free HE gun with a side-order of distracting enemy PD and shielding against most regular shots, too. I don't like these things, but three or four of them on a ship that can carry that many is very strong (until you run out of ammo). Annihilator pods are most of the reason an enemy Onslaught is actually a dangerous ship to fight from the front.

Locust: My experience puts this as the default large missile choice; it's got a good ammunition supply and, while perhaps not optimal for anti-capital duty, is still pretty solid against just about anything. That said, for any specific niche (aside from anti-fighter / anti-frigate), there's a different large missile that's better for that niche.

Typhoon Reaper: Currently, just bad, unlike its small or medium equivalents. Use a Hurricane or a Hammer Barrage instead. Should be better next Starsector version, though.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 11:36:38 AM »

Why such hate for Mortar weapons? Also I can't wait for Alex to drop the patch on April 1st at high noon so this tier list stays relevant for two whole days :)
Alex has gone dark for half a month now and its been multiple months since he first posted notes. I'm starting to worry he has hit some massive game breaking bug or something. Would love to see the update in a few days though.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 11:57:09 AM »

LAC: I just don't see a niche for it that isn't filled with any of the other three. I do, as you can see, have bias against cheaper weapons, though.
Mortar: Considering people use LMGs to punch through frigate armor sometimes... Cheaply going through frigates is definitely a niche, just not one useful often. I'd put it on Astral if it had ballistic slots.
Vulcan: Ballistic PD is all AoE. Vulcan is, too, just unconventionally. It's not meant to remove heavy fighters and beefy missiles, sure.

LRPD: As long range support PD, it's usable, just not as good as a converted hangar of interceptors.

HIL: HIL is explosive. Tach lance is still EMP, but I wouldn't claim one is better than the other.

Annihilator: I just don't see what it does that other missiles don't do better. I guess it distracts high-tech PD better than hammers.

Locust: I find that MIRV does anti-frigate decently enough and hits bigger ships much better, when comparing them as generalist missiles. Ammo... I've ran out of large missile ammo before, but not on a ship that struggles against frigates.

Reaper: Big one, kind of, but I do like that meme Legion build with four reaper bursts and needlers.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 12:22:34 PM »

Alex has gone dark for half a month now and its been multiple months since he first posted notes. I'm starting to worry he has hit some massive game breaking bug or something. Would love to see the update in a few days though.

(... have I? Regardless, it's all good; things are moving along well! Just, a lot to wrap up, test, etc.)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 12:28:01 PM »

HIL: HIL is explosive. Tach lance is still EMP, but I wouldn't claim one is better than the other.
Yup. The HIL's hit strength of 500 includes a 2x multiplier for being HE-typed; without that, it'd be an unimpressive 250. The Tachyon Lance's 750 hit strength means it gets better armor penetration despite the HIL's advantageous typing.

Now, if the measure of weapon power is DPS against the Invictus' armor... that's a case where the HIL should, in theory, pull ahead due to a higher over-time DPS. But against anything in the current game, the TL is the better gun.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 12:53:07 PM »

I know HIL has less pierce than tach, but I just can't scoff at triple the dps against armor. I would love buffs though, it's a beam that wants to fire all the time but physically can't.
For the record, I'm not claiming it's better: I'm claiming that it's not so much worse that you should just ignore it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 12:54:38 PM by Princess_of_Evil »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 01:37:38 PM »

Vulcan: I find the vulcan to be "good" only in the sense that it's the best ballistic small PD option. Won't reliably kill salamanders, but it does a better job of PD than any of the machine gun variants.
Out of the box, true.  With PD boosts (IPDAI and possibly Point Defense for more damage), Vulcan gets better.  Even machine guns get more reliability, at least enough that player can mix Vulcans and MGs on some ships instead of going full Vulcan.

Typhoon Reaper: Currently, just bad, unlike its small or medium equivalents. Use a Hurricane or a Hammer Barrage instead. Should be better next Starsector version, though.
It is pretty good for Rampart with Missile Spec.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2023, 01:42:32 PM »

The Tachyon is hotter then the HIL, so not every ship can afford to equip one for sustained combat.

A sunder can run a little more risky with a TLance as not only does it put out more flux, its also a fragile platform which might be too risky to put your better guns on.

I'm also a fan of the Mortars, Arbalest, and the big autocannon due to their sheer cost effectiveness. Put them on your salvaged junk and have room spare for all the mods and other weapons you like, such as putting converted hangers on the whole fleet. Cheap, plentiful, every scrapper has them. They are basically free weapons.

Mining blaster is honestly a side grade to the heavy blaster in my experience, raw damage and range for less flux and OP cost on ships. If you just need to break their armour to let your lasers in, then a mining blaster on a hightech can more then do the job for the majority of opponents.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »

Mk9 AC is good. It's more efficient than the Gauss Cannon and outranges the Storm Needler. It's also cheaper than both and fires in 200x4 bursts, more burst damage than the Gauss, and hits hard enough to deal damage through stripped armor, making it anti-hull. Recoil can be a problem though.

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2023, 05:42:28 AM »

You're 2 days early for April Fools

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2023, 06:44:47 AM »

It's true though? MkIX is a solid weapon. The only problem is that you really want to put it in a hardpoint so the only ship you'll ever really use it on is the Dominator.
Pages: [1] 2