Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New to game need combat help  (Read 714 times)

neo1874

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New to game need combat help
« on: March 27, 2023, 05:02:53 AM »

Guys so i am at the point where i understand the mechanics of the game. In combat is there a mini map command (no mini map showing during combat). At the moment i have to look around for the enemy during combat to engage. Also, is there boost engine command for my ship during combat? Many thanks to whoever responds.

John

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: New to game need combat help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 06:04:59 AM »

Mini-map = Press Tab to bring up command screen

Boost engine = You get an engine boost from having 0 flux. Drop your shields and vent your flux, you will go 50% faster.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 06:19:24 AM »

Boost engine = You get an engine boost from having 0 flux. Drop your shields and vent your flux, you will go 50% faster.
Not 50% faster, just 50 flat more speed. But that does matter a lot on bigger ships.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Etherimp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 06:36:39 AM »

Not 50% faster, just 50 flat more speed. But that does matter a lot on bigger ships.

Ah, right.. My bad. Wasn't sure on the exact speed boost.

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »

Hi John,

Maps without objectives tend to be fairly small.  For maps with objectives, it is a safe bet that most of the enemy fleet will head towards one of the two objectives on their side of the map, and that they will dispatch at least one frigate towards the other.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 10:39:31 AM »

In addition to the speed boost you get at 0 flux, every ship has a special "ship system" it can use in combat by pressing F. The system varies from ship to ship but some have things which boost their speed and/or handling. For instance "Burn Drive" which will give you a massive forward boost for a few seconds or "Maneuvering Jets" which will boost top speed and handling a little bit. There are others too, these are just some examples.

Welcome to the game btw.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 02:19:00 PM »

"Fog of war" and searching and chasing ships is part of combat, so you won't always know where the enemy is. You get notified of captured points and can guess where they're going towards - sometimes that's just a single frigate capturing, sometimes it's the majority of their forces. It helps to have fast frigates to pick off their fast ships and to more easily beeline for points on the map. This also applies to search & destroy once you have won engagements and the enemy has turned to flee.

Combat in this game is awesome. Enjoy the early game struggle (best part of the game for me) and learning things and pushing the envelope with skill and timing.

Not a Pirate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 07:17:55 AM »

"Fog of war" and searching and chasing ships is part of combat, so you won't always know where the enemy is.....

To help counter the Fog of War in the early game you can pick up a couple of crappy salvage ships after a battle (the smaller and faster the better) and send them off into the fog to look for targets.

Just make sure they don't cost too many supplies to restore after you (and you will) lose them.

Zentropy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 09:55:13 PM »

You can also just turn FoW off in the config settings.  It's incredibly immersion-breaking imo and I have never missed it