Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Trying to update from JVE7 - 8 for mods  (Read 1005 times)

ComeHonorChest

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Trying to update from JVE7 - 8 for mods
« on: March 17, 2023, 01:21:22 PM »

i read and re-read the forum posts already, i followed the download guides, i can get the game to launch with the updated RAM size without the JVE8 folder, but with it i keep getting this pop up when i try to run the game. (for context, i reduced the ram size back to the original 1.5gb to make sure it wasn't an issue) not sure on how to proceed from here. have 16gb of ram and 8gb of VRAM to run mods, really loving the vanilla gameplay, but would love to try the modded scene as well

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to update from JVE7 - 8 for mods
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 01:56:18 PM »

For context, java 8 is not even remotely necessary for running the game with mods. Sure, there are people that swear that it works better, but if it doesn't work at all (which it doesn't for me, either), java 7 runs fine. (Okay, there's occasional framerate issues after you've been running the game for a while, which I'm told that java 8 fixes, but meh. Save, shut the game down, start it back up, keep going, it's not a big deal.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 02:40:36 PM »

Wyvern is right that JRE 8 isn't necessary for modding. Few people used it prior to 2 or 3 years ago.

If you want to debug it, you can try running the game through Command Prompt. That way, any errors will be shown there, could be more useful than the text box you're seeing.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

ComeHonorChest

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 05:29:01 PM »

launched the game through command prompt, i got the exact same error pop up, and nothing new in the actual command prompt

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 05:35:57 PM »

I was able to reproduce that error by renaming my JRE folder to JRE2, meaning that the game couldn't find it.

Your JRE folder looks like this? No jre folder inside your jre folder?

Could be some weird permissions thing, too I guess. Something blocking the game exe from accessing the java.exe.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).